Find results that contain...
Find results in...
YMB

The Axiom Project

Full title - The Axiom Project: Descent Into Evil
More screens soon.

edit:links fixed

the iron hitman said:

At last, A map from yomoneyboat! I gotta play this one =) screens are good. Better than anything i could ever do.

Thanks, it'll be finished in a few weeks. If you want to beta test, PM me.

I'm taking this in a whole new direction.
I've removed all enemies and ammo. I've overhauled the detail, and it's going to be a puzzle/adventure wad.
I'm also working on a BEX patch to make everything "fit" better with the theme of the map.
New, updated screens to come.
I know some people hate these types of levels, but I personally find them more fun in some ways than a typical "shoot-em-up" level.

yomoneyboat said:

I know some people hate these types of levels, but I personally find them more fun in some ways than a typical "shoot-em-up" level.

Isen't Doom just a typical shoot-em-up game?

Obviously I'm not speaking for everyone, but, I play Doom (and/or custom levels) because it is a shoot-em-up, not an adventure game. Even Phocas Island 2 had enemies and bosses to kill with shotguns and chainguns (if you can call it that).

I need to shoot things when I'm playing DooM! :P The pics look good but there better be some action. Doom is a game based off of killing demons and clearing a base.... If you want adventure there are plenty of other games that would probably suite this idea better.

This looks okay, but it seems cramped. Could just be the rooms pictured though. I hope there are areas that are less gray with some more contrasting colors.

There may be some killing "sections," I may alternate between action and adventure, and a few boss battles.
And don't worry, the whole level isn't gray. That's just the only section I had done at that point. I shall modify gameplay as per your requests, and I guess adventure isn't too popular, so I might ditch that idea altogether and go back to action (it's easier, anyway).

No monsters? Why? Even the most puzzled levels have monsters. The level looks good, but I doubt how fun can be if there's nothing to fight out but puzzles, specially if you can't loose (and please don't make the possibility to suck down the puzzles if you do something wrong and force the player to restart).
You could add the Ghoul or something (shitload of demons, cyberdemon, what not) so you must think fast and solve a puzzle to open/close doors, or something before the monster gets you.

yomoneyboat said:

I shall modify gameplay as per your requests, and I guess adventure isn't too popular, so I might ditch that idea altogether and go back to action (it's easier, anyway).

No, don't. Make the map the way you want. The hell with other people's preferences, no matter what the map ends up like there'll always be people who like, and people who don't like, it. So better make it the way you want it to be.

Jodwin said:

No, don't. Make the map the way you want. The hell with other people's preferences, no matter what the map ends up like there'll always be people who like, and people who don't like, it. So better make it the way you want it to be.

Seconded, realise your map visions without looking at other people.... there's always be people who will enjoy the unique style or not and call it very bad trust me

Jodwin said:

Still there's a difference between taking people's advise and deliberately ignoring everyone.

BoldEnglishman said:

Still there's a difference between taking people's advise and deliberately ignoring everyone.

No wai!

And there's also a difference in between giving advice and telling people what kind of gameplay their maps should have. If you don't want to play an adventure map, that's okay, no one's telling you to, but in return you shouldn't tell people who are making adventure maps to turn them into HR-style blastfests either (yes, that's exaggerated, no need to tell me that).

If you like it play it, other wise don't bitch about it... Nuff said!
BTW Yomoneyboat, make your level how ever you want, people will play it, don't worry...

Hmm good point Jodwin. I hate hippocrits and now I'm finding myself in my own hippocritical situation... no matter how hard I try and avoid it. Guess I shot myself in the foot there...

EDIT: Though I guess the advice is that the level should still contain monsters even if it is an adventure map.

Yeah but puzzles alone without characters aren't adventure games, imagine calling Mine Sweeper and adventure game.

If he posted here is because he wanted to receive comments. I agree that he doesn't has to change his mind, still if he posted, he opened the discussion, and must accept that many of us don't like the concept, and have ideas to improve it according to our preferences (which of course he isn't forced to follow).

Nice to know my wad is a lightning rod for controversy :)
Anyway, I've thought of a good middleground: there will be enemies, but all will require stealth (or creative) kills, as you have only 1 health point throughout. The stealth techniques could range from simply sneaking up behind them, to flipping a switch to crush a nearby barrel.
Oh, and thanks to everyone who kind of made me realize that map making should be primarily for MY enjoyment.