Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlackAsDaNight

How do I get Aliens TC to work

Ive got everything, ive downloaded the total conversion, unzipped everything, ive got Doom 1, 2 wads.... clicked on "Aliens" bat file and nothing happens. I use dos box on it and it doesnt work...

can someone tell me step by step what exactly to do please?

Cheers

The official updated Aliens TC that works with The Ultimate DOOM is here and here (in two parts). Put all the contents into the folder where you have The Ultimate DOOM, and use the INSTALL batch file in DOSBox, choosing the option for "The Ultimate DOOM". The resulting wads can be used with the DOS engine that's made by the installer (or also with a newer engine if ALITCPUD.DEH is used alongside it).

Examples of how to run it (the first in DOSBox, the latter in a Windows command line or batch):

ALIENTC.EXE -file ALITCSND.WAD ALITCWAD.WAD ALITCSF.WAD

chocolate-doom -file ALITCSND.WAD ALITCWAD.WAD ALITCSF.WAD -deh ALITCPUD.DEH 
EDIT: Bad URL.

myk said:

The official updated Aliens TC that works with The Ultimate DOOM is here and here (in two parts). Put all the contents into the folder where you have The Ultimate DOOM, and use the INSTALL batch file in DOSBox, choosing the option for "The Ultimate DOOM". The resulting wads can be used with the DOS engine that's made by the installer (or also with a newer engine if ALITCPUD.DEH is used alongside it).

Examples of how to run it (the first in DOSBox, the latter in a Windows command line or batch):

ALIENTC.EXE -file ALITCSND.WAD ALITCWAD.WAD ALITCSF.WAD

chocolate-doom -file ALITCSND.WAD ALITCWAD.WAD ALITCSF.WAD -deh ALITCPUD.DEH 
EDIT: Bad URL.

Hi mate,

I followed your intructions however i get "ERROR: Can't Find DOOM" files.

I have the Doom.wad but im not to sure which file is the "exe" DOOM.EXE, im sure i have it, if not where can i download it from. I have bought all the doom games and have downloaded wads through websites, im just terrible at all this technical stuff.

What should I do now?

Thanks for your help

BlackAsDaNight said:
I followed your intructions however i get "ERROR: Can't Find DOOM" files.

It means that INSTALL.BAT didn't find either DOOM.EXE or DOOM.WAD. Make sure both are in the same folder as all the files.

If yo aren't too concerned about trying it with the DOS executables you could use the wads as they are found in the ZIP file. With Chocolate Doom it would be like this:

chocolate-doom -iwad doom.wad -merge ALITCSND.WAD ALITCWAD.WAD ALITCSF.WAD -deh ALITCPUD.DEH 
There Chocolate Doom would be taking care of "merging" the wad contents and of the DeHackEd patch, like INSTALL.BAT does for the DOS engine. Other newer engines with DeHackEd support can do similarly, but using -file.

myk said:

It means that INSTALL.BAT didn't find either DOOM.EXE or DOOM.WAD. Make sure both are in the same folder as all the files.

If yo aren't too concerned about trying it with the DOS executables you could use the wads as they are found in the ZIP file. With Chocolate Doom it would be like this:

chocolate-doom -iwad doom.wad -merge ALITCSND.WAD ALITCWAD.WAD ALITCSF.WAD -deh ALITCPUD.DEH 
There Chocolate Doom would be taking care of "merging" the wad contents and of the DeHackEd patch, like INSTALL.BAT does for the DOS engine. Other newer engines with DeHackEd support can do similarly, but using -file.

Downloaded chocolate doom and when i click to open it it opens for a split second then closes, is there anyway i can solve that?

Yeah, either a command prompt, a batch file (a text file that contains the above commands, with the BAT extension instead of TXT), or a shotcut to chocolate-doom where you edit the "Target" command line by right clicking and choosing "properties".

im realy sorry guys, im an absolute n00b in the case of prompt's and what you type and.

How do i run a prompt? Could you possibly give me like an "idiots step by step" to launching this.

I really appreiacite this... i just heard there was a aliens doom so i had to try it out!

Thanks!

Press Win+R or go to the Start menu and Select "Run..."
Type "cmd" in the resulting prompt.
A black DOS-like window will now open. Find the folder path under which you have installed Chocolate Doom and navigate to it by doing this:

C:\>cd <path to chocolate doom> [hit enter]

The prompt will change to show your directory. Supposing that you installed Chocolate Doom under C:\Games\ChocoDoom, it would now look like this:

C:\Games\ChocoDoom>

Type "dir" and hit enter. A listing of files in the directory will appear. Verify that you're in the right place by finding the Chocolate Doom executable in that list.

Type the name of the executable, with or without the .exe extension, and hit enter to launch the program. More than likely it is going to give you an error message, and that's why it was closing when you clicked on it from Explorer. Tell us what that error message is *exactly* (do not abbreviate or otherwise paraphrase what it says).

Ahh, DOS. Kids today with their fancy GUIs... in my day, if we wanted windows, we'd go to Home Depot, not Circuit City.

cool there's still interest in this.

AliensTC was one of the very first PWADs i ever played back in the day. i think it was on a 486 with no soundcard at the time :)

seeing the map that Chaindude made for Lazarus which was inspired by the TC i went and dug it up again. i've sorta vaguely been working on one combined version of the whole thing. it's been very on and off but in addition to the ease of having it all much more straightforward to run i've been going through the maps and tidying the hell out of the texturing as the alignments suck (possibly even by the standards of the time). there's also some hideous stuff in there like the usage of wood flats in places. there's a lot of different things i'm doing to it but as a huge fan of both the TC and of Aliens then i'm not messing it up in anyway.

BlackAsDaNight said:
How do i run a prompt? Could you possibly give me like an "idiots step by step" to launching this.

Quasar already explained how to open the command prompt, but also make sure you've got the IWADs, the Alien TC wads, and the required DeHackEd patch in the same folder as Chocolate Doom.

Creating a batch file may be easier for you. Just make a new text file where you placed all the DOOM, Chocolate Doom, and Aliens TC files, rename it to alienstc.bat, open it and paste the commands to run Aliens TC using Chocolate Doom (the ones that use -merge), then close/save it. Double clicking it should run Aliens TC.

Quasar said:

Press Win+R or go to the Start menu and Select "Run..."
Type "cmd" in the resulting prompt.
A black DOS-like window will now open. Find the folder path under which you have installed Chocolate Doom and navigate to it by doing this:

C:\>cd <path to chocolate doom> [hit enter]

I type that in and it says "The syntax of the command is incorrect"

im asshuming by when you mean "path to choclate doom" you type in <C:\Doom2\> (in my case) ?

Is there anyone online "n00bs" kinda guide to all this. Ive been playing doom online for years now, i have never tried the Total Conversions...

My Setup is ive just copied and pasted all my wads, pwads and iwads in the one folder C:\Doom2, so everything i unzip goe's in there.

Oh and one more question, when i was unzipping thoose two aliens files, they seemed to overwrite the other out becuase they had the same name, should i change the names (i mean these zips .. http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=3269 and http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=3268 )

Thanks for all your help guys!

yomoneyboat said:

Ahh, DOS. Kids today with their fancy GUIs... in my day, if we wanted windows, we'd go to Home Depot, not Circuit City.

It's frightening to think that, 10 years ago, when I first played Doom... I could load up programs and run them in DOS easily, like writing on normal paper.

Present day, as soon as DOS comes up, I don't have a clue what to write :S thank god for source ports!

BlackAsDaNight said:
im asshuming by when you mean "path to choclate doom" you type in (in my case) ?

Remove the angled brackets; they just represent that something goes there. Your path is c:\doom2. To get there type cd c:\doom2 in the command line.

Oh and one more question, when i was unzipping thoose two aliens files, they seemed to overwrite the other out becuase they had the same name, should i change the names (i mean these zips .. http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=3269 and http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=3268 )

That's just FILE_ID.DIZ, which is a brief description of the addon contained in the ZIPs. The rest of the files are different, so say "yes" to overwriting it.

Is there anyone online "n00bs" kinda guide to all this.

Here's a DOS tutorial, and here's a site about the Windows command line. Google should be able to pull up more helpful sites.

BlackAsDaNight said:

I type that in and it says "The syntax of the command is incorrect"

im asshuming by when you mean "path to choclate doom" you type in <C:\Doom2\> (in my case) ?

Is there anyone online "n00bs" kinda guide to all this. Ive been playing doom online for years now, i have never tried the Total Conversions...

My Setup is ive just copied and pasted all my wads, pwads and iwads in the one folder C:\Doom2, so everything i unzip goe's in there.

Thanks for all your help guys!

You're only supposed to type "cd path", no quotations, no angle brackets. Those are things that people use to show you where to put something in that only you know. by <path> I meant that is where you put the path, not that you surround the path with angle brackets. you can find information on using the CMD shell pretty much all over the internet. And unless you put Chocolate Doom in your C:\Doom2 directory, then I do not necessarily mean that. I meant THE directory where *you* put Chocolate Doom, yourself.