Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spank

RIP Colin McRae (1968-2007)

He died on a helicopter crash, along with his five year old son, on Saturday. His skill was admirable. This is a great loss for motor sports.

Yeah, met Colin and his dad Jimmy a few times (I think anyone who has had anything to do with motorsport in Scotland probably has). Jimmy's co-driver even swore at me when I was marshalling at an event and didn't give him the service halt exit time he wanted. Gosh, the fame. :roll:

Colin was a top bloke. Well respected and a hero to many. A sad loss.

the iron hitman said:

R.I.P Colin. You will be missed by many =( this is a terrible blow to F1. ='(

He will indeed be missed, but not by F1 as a sport.

the iron hitman said:

F1

Wikipedia said:

Colin Steele McRae, MBE (5 August 1968 – 15 September 2007) was a Scottish World Rally Championship (WRC) driver, the son of five-time British Rally Champion, Jimmy McRae and older brother of professional driver Alister McRae. He won the world driver's title in 1995, was championship runner-up in 1996, 1997 and 2001, and third in 1998.

Rally!

exp(x) said:

Now I feel guilty for bootlegging one of the Colin McRae rally games.

Piracy Kills!
You wouldn't steal a tv, you wouldn't steal a car, you wouldn't kill a rally driver.

For a second there I thought he was a doomer. :P
It is terrible however. I wonder what will happen when other video game series um ... ... 'faces' start to die.
After all, It'll be hard to use Tony Hawk as a promotional title thing when he's dead...

doom2day said:

For a second there I thought he was a doomer. :P
It is terrible however. I wonder what will happen when other video game series um ... ... 'faces' start to die.
After all, It'll be hard to use Tony Hawk as a promotional title thing when he's dead...

Tony Hawk's American Graveyard?

Bad jokes aside, I was surprised and sad to hear the news of Colin's death. Helicopters have always struck me as being unsafe (in spite of me being indoctrinated by all those A-team episodes).

Kristian Ronge said:

Bad jokes aside, I was sad to hear the news of Colin's death. Helicopters have always struck me as being unsafe (in spite of me being indoctrinated by all those A-team episodes).

Just ask Vic Morrow how "safe" they are.

yomoneyboat said:

Just ask Vic Morrow how "safe" they are.

For how many helicopters are flown, they appear to be much more safe than say, a car.

Ralphis said:

For how many helicopters are flown, they appear to be much more safe than say, a car.

Heh, very true.
At least cars don't have giant rotating blades o' death.

RIP Colin and young Johnny McRae.

It's awful to lose a motorsport legend I grew up watching but for the same accident to claim his son is appalling.

Ralphis said:

That would be because they don't let any idiot fly a helicopter after having them take it round the block and not hit anything. Getting a pilots license is a lot more demanding.

I too grew up watching McRae fly sideways through various forests. He'll be missed. His son dying too is even more tragic.

AirRaid said:

That would be because they don't let any idiot fly a helicopter after having them take it round the block and not hit anything. Getting a pilots license is a lot more demanding.

Which is exactly why they're more safe. They're being used by people that know what they're doing

I heard Robert Jordan died as well. Not that I care though, because I never bothered to read any of his books.