Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealthy Ivan

Roots! A choose your own adventure!

I am starting a choose your own adventure level! Its called Roots.wad because it is using vanilla doom2 and no new textures (lets call it a bit old school, going back to doom 2's roots :P), I will have some pics soon. The idea behind the level is at the start there will be three paths you can take, each one having its own exit! Since it is vanilla (port compatible) it will have a lot of detail.

yomoneyboat said:

Damn, when I read the title I thought I'd get to play as Kunta Kinte.

Hahaha! I had never thought of that. I think you peeps will like this one, even though I'm kinda sure it has been done before..? I have some great ideas for the three paths you can choose from! Plus I put in a secret 4th path you have to find! It's kinds like three levels (plus the secret 4th) in one! The pics will be up in a few days after I detail :P.
Oh! and once you choose a path, the door will close and you can not go back. Unless you clip... CHEATERS!!!

you could also make a branching path by offering the player, for example, the ssg or the chaingun. grabbing one reveals one path, while grabbing the other reveals a different path. however, only one of the two will the player be able to acquire. each of the two paths will contain challenges best tackled by the associated weapon (speed vs. power.)

you can do this with any weapons, and any number of other things.
i'd really like to see multiple branching paths.

This idea sounds like some thing I might take into consideration.... It also fits how the map starts with the shotgun that you grab, and then...
Heh, you'll see!

Sounds cool. Save having one huge map, could you not have the first map as a 'hub' and use clever scripting for the 3 exit switches to take you to different levels.

Say, map01 is the hub, then map02, 03 and 04 ar the actual paths. How possible is that?

A whole megawad full of maps like this would be awesome. Tons of replay value at the very least.

Icarus said:

Sounds cool. Save having one huge map, could you not have the first map as a 'hub' and use clever scripting for the 3 exit switches to take you to different levels.

Say, map01 is the hub, then map02, 03 and 04 ar the actual paths. How possible is that?

Heh, its not different maps, its one map dude. It will just have three/four exits depending on the path that you take. You'll see.

Kid Airbag said:

A whole megawad full of maps like this would be awesome. Tons of replay value at the very least.

It would be cool, but it would also take a long time (I'm not shooting the idea down but it would definitely be a lot of work and take a few peeps to contribute).
My idea was just a test to see how people will react to a level like this, if it catches on I will continue on the proj. We'll see what happens...

Well so far it looks like what I expected, which is a good thing!
If the whole map has this level of quality, you've got a solid wad.

Please! Give me a god dam chance will you... I will have some better screens soon, this was only one night of work (4 hrs) thank you very much...
Have some faith in your fellow doomer, we are a dying breed, lets stick together dude! :) I also mentioned it was VANILLA! :P So 1995 sounds right to me.

yomoneyboat said:

Damn, why all the playa-hatin', dawgs?

Heh, It happens dude, at least you like it, but what really matters as a mapper is if I like it... I'm just trying do my part in the doom community (keeping it alive)! I might not be the best mapper in the world but at least I try... So I will have some more screen shots for you people soon, and remember IT'S VANILLA!!!

John Smith said:

Hey OP, just because it's a vanilla wad doesn't mean it needs to look like it came from 1995. Fix plz.

Excuse me... BTW lets see some of your work...

You don't have to have created something to critique other things of the same sort. <Insert obvious analogy about movies here.>

From the screens the wad looks amateurish and shitty. If you don't change it the wad will be amateurish and shitty. End of story.

Thats just your jaded opinion, if you dont like the fucking thing then dont play it, not sit there are insult it (by the way do you always judge a book by its cover)?

jaded |dʒeɪd1d|
adjective
tired, bored, or lacking enthusiasm, typically after having had too much of something

My opinion is not tired, nor bored, nor lacking enthusiasm. Also I don't judge a book by its cover but I can tell if it sucks or not by reading a few pages. Whatever, it's your choice to make it good or not, so I'll just leave you to it and see when its done (and comment appropriately). My bet is the wad isn't finished anyways.

It is nowhere close to being finished, it is going to be rather large since there is three paths for you to choose from. And it is not detailed yet, the screens are just there to show the peeps on here what I have in the works. I would say right now it is only 19%, I have a lot of work ahead of me.

hey, you better get used to the flaming, you will get a LOT of it here...
trust me on this one...

the screens look good, though!

E2M7 of Cleimos did something like this, although there was only one exit, there were three routes to it, and you had to pick one. The version in Cleimos 2 was updated so you had to visit all three different sections.

I think you need to have some kind of interaction between the three branches, otherwise you might as well be make a three-map PWAD :) Ideally you'd have some kind of overlapping design where each route takes you a different way through (some of) the same areas. It'd take a lot of planning to do well, though.

Also please consider putting a way back to the start next to each of your three exits, so players can go back and do all three sections for 100% kills and so forth.

RjY said:

Also please consider putting a way back to the start next to each of your three exits, so players can go back and do all three sections for 100% kills and so forth.

I will, but the ways back will be secrets, just to make things interesting. :) BTW this map will have A LOT of secrets!

Stealthy Ivan said:

Heh, its not different maps, its one map dude. It will just have three/four exits depending on the path that you take. You'll see.

I know that. But huge maps are a bastard on the automap system ;)
Oh well, seemed like a good idea to me :p

Weee, seems pretty fun though

RjY said:

I think you need to have some kind of interaction between the three branches, otherwise you might as well be make a three-map PWAD :) Ideally you'd have some kind of overlapping design where each route takes you a different way through (some of) the same areas. It'd take a lot of planning to do well, though.

I was going to recommend something like this. Keeping the paths close (e.g. you can see one path on the other side of the ravine, and the third path may use part of said ravine at some point) and letting them play off each other (e.g. monsters from one path will cross over or teleport to another if that's the one you choose) are ways to maintain a sense of fluid connection. You'll know you're playing the same map the second time around and not just going off somewhere else.

Enabling scripting could really take this up a notch, but maybe next time, right?

GGG said:

I was going to recommend something like this. Keeping the paths close (e.g. you can see one path on the other side of the ravine, and the third path may use part of said ravine at some point) and letting them play off each other (e.g. monsters from one path will cross over or teleport to another if that's the one you choose) are ways to maintain a sense of fluid connection. You'll know you're playing the same map the second time around and not just going off somewhere else.

What he said.
Of course, you could always go with the Hexen "Seven Portals" idea, where you'd eventually have to take all 3 paths anyway.

Hmm, I did something slightly similar, in ZDoom though.
as a personal maptest i lost ages ago, but it had a bit where when you complete a map, It sends you to a map selection room, But i had about 20 maps, Just so the maps you have already done werent options to do again. It was complex at the end of the day, But the conclusion of the result felt really kinda like the game "Crash bandicoot 2's" level select system, accept in a doomish style. :)
Maybe this could be done for you, unless youva already made alot of progress on the 3-way map.

Just trying to help, and not flame it. :D

-Sausage

How this will work, basically if you cant find the secrets you will not be able to go backwards and play all three sections, making you play the level 3 times and you will not be able to get a 100% kill count. If you find the secrets you will be able to return to the start and play the other sections, each section will have a hidden teleporter that will take you the the start, heh, good luck finding them! :)
I will have some more DETAILED screens for you soon. As for the map the ideas are in place and the map is well under way!!!