Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KeenKyle

the most useless doom weapon

Steeveeo said:

Easy, the Doomguy hovers and has a hydralic punching arm.

Hell yes he does. This is so becoming my new signature.

Instead of answering exactly your question, I'll say that the pistol is the "most underused". Even ID itself expected the player to throw it away and switch to a better weapon almost instantly. In E1M1 on UV, you can permanently switch to shotgun after killing just one sergeant. In Doom 2, you can skip pistol entirely thanks to the chainsaw you start next to.

hardcore_gamer said:

The fist, in Doom3 the fist becomes more useless than ever by the way.

This is true. "Lookout, here comes the night train!" *Punch* "Feelings of invinciblilty- over." The fist in general is only fun in classic doom for the satisfying noise it makes.

hardcore_gamer said:

But you have to admit that nothing works as good as the fist to knock some boxes.

John Smith said:

Though tbh the chainsaw comes pretty close to being useless.

Considering that the chainsaw can be used quite effectively against most of the enemies upto mini-boss status (especially if the enemies are not swarming and there's some cover), I'd hardly say that it was a useless weapon. Plus, its use is not hampered by "ammo availability". [When I first played DooM back in 1994 I felt that chainsaw use could have been limited by gasoline/fuel availability. The player would need to find gasoline canisters to re-fuel the chainsaw, just like finding ammo for the other weapons.]

I would say the unberserked fist, unless I completely run out of ammo, then I just restart the level. The chainsaw is very useful against demons, specters, and cacodemons. The beserked fists are extremely useful. I've used them to kill everything up to the Cyber and the Spiderdemon. I often prefer them because they don't use ammo, nothing like strafing around two barons of hell and punching them to death. Extremely useful weapons. The pistol is good for when you almost kill something with a super shotty, but don't quite kill them. No use in wasting a shell or two to kill something that can be killed with one pistol shot. The chaingun is useful for long range shooting, or for mowing down hordes of lesser demons at close range. Single shotty is useful when you just have an imp or two in front of you, or you want semi-accurate shot from a distance at a cacodemon or a hell knight Or when there's alot of former humans and imps, but they're not close enough together to waste two shells on. Rocket launcher is useful at a distance on barons, hell knights, cacodemons, anything at a long range. Although I don't use it very often since it auto-aims at where the monster was, and by the time it gets to him he's moved somewhere else. Honestly, aside from the fists, this is probably my least used weapon, due to it's slowness and the splash damage. The plasma rifle is useful for killing just about anything up to a cyberdemon and a spider mastermind if you're in a hurry. Great for mowing down hordes of lesser demons. The BFG, basically I just use this on spider masterminds, cyberdemons, and hordes of revenants. It wastes too much ammo on a single shot, and you have to make sure you're looking at what you want to hit. It's very powerful, but it's extremely limited in use. So out of all of them, the most useless is the unbeserked fist, as far as playing through the game normally. I realize they're used in tyson runs, but for the most part they're not used at all. If all you have left is them, then you should probably just restart and figure out what you did wrong. Personally once I get the super shotty I rarely change from it, except to do long range shots with the chain gun, and some very effective mowing with the plasma rifle.

hardcore_gamer said:

No kidding, that was lame since doom 3 was packed full of crazy fast monsters, though the berserk part was rather cool.

yomoneyboat said:

I always wondered that too. How can the monsters hear you punching air, but not hear your footsteps ONE FREAKING INCH behind them?

In Wolf3d the enemies couldn't hear you swishing your knife through the air, but could hear you when you hit someone. This way, the stealth feeling was cancelled. Maybe in Doom the id guys decided not to bother with this fake stealth feeling, by making the monsters already hear you when pressing CTRL even with the fist. Normally you don't throw your fists there for nothing.

Another potentially useless gun is the Plasma Rifle. In high monster maps there's no more need for cell conservation because the BFG has many more targets to hit. The BFG can be used liberally there.

hardcore_gamer said:

Except for the brief time when you don't have a flashlight and you want to be able to gib dead monsters without wasting ammo.

But seriously, why would you use your fist if you could just pistol whip the monsters? Or slap 'em in the face with the shotty? Another oddity id didn't catch.

I used the fist quite a lot in the beginng of doom 3. I was running around 12 pistol bullets and i didnt want to use them up especially because imps can chew that ammo up, so id box a few zombies every once in a while.

And ive only played doom 3 on Xbox, and my xbox has a crappy laser so it would freeze everytime i got to a new level, so id have to start the xbox up again and use the skip level cheat to get the map i just was, and when you do that you always start with a pistol, a flash light, and 24 bullets. Not NEARLY enough to kill anything.

GGG said:

But seriously, why would you use your fist if you could just pistol whip the monsters? Or slap 'em in the face with the shotty? Another oddity id didn't catch.

It's not always easy to tell you're gonna have enough ammo for later. While the punch normally deals half Flashlight damage, the punch is faster to hit. Both are recommended.

printz said:

It's not always easy to tell you're gonna have enough ammo for later. While the punch normally deals half Flashlight damage, the punch is faster to hit. Both are recommended.

I was saying that whipping a monster with the pistol (or the shotgun if the player acquired it) would cause more damage than the lowly fist. Ammo has no connection to this.

GGG said:

That would add a whole new experience to Tyson runs.

Dunno if anybody mentioned this already but the fist (and by extension the chainsaw) is quite useful for hitting gun switches without wasting any ammo :)

Chainsaw is too loud to be switch hunting with though. I fist or pistol those stuffs.

hardcore_gamer said:

No kidding. The flashlight is way more effective at clobbering zombies.

I'd have to say the most useless weapon is the grabber in the Resurection of Evil, It's really cool at first for everyone who didnt get half life 2 and use the gravity gun, but later in the game it becomes extremely hard to use. You have tp have perfect aim to catch a plazma ball in mid flight and even better aim to hit the monster with it. And to top it all off it has a timne limit for how long you can hold an object. IT SUKS!!!!!!!!!

Quasar said:
I once knocked out a ZSec with a single flashlight headshot. I was totally freaked out.

But a flashlight as a weapon... how unepic and mundane. I'd at least have given it a chance to shatter or otherwise malfunction when used that way. Especially to balance that it's more effective than the fist.

I do suk with the grabber, but other than the grabber the most useless weapon is probably the non berserk fists they are soo weak and you are more likely to get killed while trying to punch a monster to death.

I use the super shotgun if I have over 50 shells, and the normal one if under. But yeah I would say the pistol is weak, I only use it if I have no other weapons. The chainsaw's better.

myk said:

But a flashlight as a weapon... how unepic and mundane. I'd at least have given it a chance to shatter or otherwise malfunction when used that way. Especially to balance that it's more effective than the fist.

Unepic and mundane? Much like a knife, sword, axe, staff, spear, wrench or crowbar.

Have you seen those highly durable industrial strength Flashlights made of titanium that have like 4 D batteries in 'em and weigh like 10lbs? Not to mention the doomguy melees with the butt end which is the most durable structurally sound part of the flashlight. Especially if the batteries go in through the front.

The fist gets balanced out when you go on a beserk rampage with it. Besides your fists can't see in the dark with and the flashlight is more readily available for melee encounters. Both weapons are essentially useless but if you want to save ammo against slow moving slobbering melee zombies then the flashlight takes precedence over the fists with it's dual purpose.

C'mon Doomers! Unite the right to flashlight!