Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KeenKyle

the most useless doom weapon

It's hard to think of the most useless weapon indeed. I would go for the unberserked punch too.

Though, I wonder how the simple shotgun can be useless? It's really really useful at several cases. If I encounter a revenant, mancubus, cacodemon, etc it's preferable to kill them with the SSG. But, at several cases they are placed in higher floors far far away in a large area. The place I can hide is not close to the enemy, using SSG wastes a lot of shells, while the regular shotgun is perfect (more aqurate) for long distances, I like to snipe big monsters from far away where I am out of reach.

If I was to sort out my favorite doom weapons that would be

SSG> SG> Berserk Punch> Chaingun(if it had faster shooting rate only)> Pistol (Yeah, it's fun killing humans and imps with this one!)> Plasma gun (Although I hate it's sound)> Chainsaw> Rocket Launcher> BFG (Yes,. I don't like blasting hordes with BFG or Bazooka except if I really need too. I like shotgun fights very much to enjoy the process slowly! :)

Mike.Reiner said:

Pistol, unless you're playing chord3 or something else tight on ammo.

How do you figure, if you shoot a monster that is far away, and not holding down the mouse button, just one shot/click at a time, it is super accurate! It's like a little sniper rifle. This also works with the chaingun.

The difference between a pistol and sniper rifle is that sniper rifles actually cause harm with relative expediency.

I almost happen to agree with the pistol is useless thing but its essential for some tysoning and ofc the best choice when you (pistol) start a new level.

there really isnt a most useless for me. it almost always depends on the map. if it is something like deus vult, then obviously fist/pistol is useless. if it is something like chord3, then fist/pistol are almost the only weapons i use. the unberserked fist makes good use in a map in the cabal series, the temple level where you start out encased in barrels, and the only way to move them safely to get by is by punching them. weapons uses all depend on the situation.

The unberserked fist is the only weapon which I have no use for. If I run out of ammo, I will usually have a chainsaw at that point. Since the chainsaw makes the fist obsolete, I would use that instead. The pistol is pretty wimpy but it can come in handy at surprising times. Especially if I need to shoot a switch or something at long range. The super shotgun is certainly far more powerful than the regular one, but the standard shotgun is better at long range. The super shotgun sux for that. The chaingun isn't as good as the plasma rifle as a rapid fire weapon, but ammo is more plentiful and it will suffice for most monsters. The rocket launcher is a risky weapon to use but it can take down most standard fare in a few shots. And it works pretty well on groups of small monsters. The plasma rifle is a very useful weapon in that it will prevent most creatures from being able to get in many hits before they are dead, and the bolts are all pretty strong. I rarely use the BFG, but when I find cyberdemons or other big things I like to use it. The chainsaw works excellently on demons and cacodemons since they can't attack and it uses no ammo. Dangerous in groups though. The berserked fist isn't that useful for me, and I usually get hurt while trying to use it. But it's really effective against small enemies, especially when catching them by surprise, so it also has its uses.

So I would say, yes, the unberserked fist is the most useless weapon.

I almost happen to agree with the pistol is useless thing but its essential for some tysoning and ofc the best choice when you (pistol) start a new level.

If we are arguing x weapons' usefulness in relation to Doom's generally intended gameplay, I would not justify the fists' usefulness with the existence of Tyson play. Tyson gameplay is subjective, in that the player actively chooses to limit their arsenal, ignoring other, more useful weaponry. Tyson play goes by self-imposed rules that elevate the fists' otherwise lacking function in the game.

In other words, the fists are always lacking usefulness unless a player decides to go Tyson, which gives them usefulness.
Unless you get a berserker pack, then you can really rock some shit.

As for my opinion on the initial question...
Taking into consideration the fists' berserker capability... it's relative, really.
In tight spaces with lots of light enemies (zombies to pinkies), I'd want something to plow through the enemies really fast - chainsaw.
When the ranged enemies have plenty of breathing room (or are simply on ledges), I'd like to even the playing field a bit and give 'em a hot, lead kiss from 100 feet - pistol.

But considering that (for me, anyway) a berserker pack won't be readily available most of the time, then the fists are definitely the worst thing to be stuck with.

I'm tired, and I wanted to exercise my cognition in the cheapest, most easily accessible way possible. Leemee alone.

EDIT: Didn't notice I was bumping an 11-day old thread. Fuck.

DesertEagle said:

EDIT: Didn't notice I was bumping an 11-day old thread. Fuck.

Theres been way worse.

I saw a 4 year old thread bumped once.

yomoneyboat said:

There was no need to keep the Shotgun in Doom 2, since they added the SSG. Or at least drop one when you pick up the other. Who would say, "Oh boy, I could kill this Revenant with two blasts, but I'd rather waste time and potentially die while using the shotgun>'

The shotgun is better for sniping. It is also useful where there is little to no room for error on the vertical axis. Also, I like the shotgun to take care of lone imps.
EDIT
SHIT.
I bumped a day old recently bumped thread.

Only completely worthless weapon is the unberserked fists, unless you're doing a tyson run. They can be used if you're out of ammo, but at that point it's better to reload. The SSG is my weapon of choice, but for longer ranges, or imps/former humans I still use the SG. I use the chaingun for long distance shots, and I even use the pistol if I've shot a demon with a SSG blast and he didn't quite die, or an imp with the SG and he didn't quite die. No point in wasting another shell, just use one pistol round. Rockets are good against any higher level, slow enemy from a distance, or groups of lower enemies if you don't feel like wasting shells. Plasma rifle is good for sustained fire against many targets at close range, just to trigger the pain state so you are overwhelmed with attacks. BFG is overpowered and good against Cyberdemons, Spider Masterminds, Arch Viles in close quarters, and hordes of revenants in close quarters. Berserk fists are good against almost everything if you've got patience and feel like being a jackass, plus they save alot of ammo. Only really useless weapon is the unberserked fist in the normal course of gameplay.

Call me crazy but the Big Fuckin' Gun is the weapon i use the least and find useless. The only time you should use it is in Final Doom Plutonia cause your taking on armies. Even taking on Cybers or Masterminds I never use this unless its my only strong weapon, strong meaning weapons 5 6 and 7 (rocket launcher, plasma gun and of course Big Fuckin' Gun) in face I strongly prefer the plasma gun over the Big Fuckin' Gun. Outside of Final Doom's Plutonia WAD or custom WADs I even use an unbeserked fist over the BFG (cause the plasma drains all its ammo lol). Point is I dont use it and I find it useless. The main thing I use it for is to get more ammo upon pickup or taking on armies in custom WADs.

I never use the BFG when I can use the plasma rifle. They both use the same ammo, but the plasma rifle doesn't run out as fast.

I only use the BFG against bosses or huge hordes of monsters.

I find the BFG in general superior to plasma. There are times where plasma is good of course, but BFG is quicker in general, and it can also be more ammo efficient. For example, it takes 2 shots to kill a cyberdemon. That's 80 cells compared to 178 or so from a plasma gun.

xit-vono said:

I find the BFG in general superior to plasma. There are times where plasma is good of course, but BFG is quicker in general, and it can also be more ammo efficient. For example, it takes 2 shots to kill a cyberdemon. That's 80 cells compared to 178 or so from a plasma gun.

I agree, but I usually use plasma, so I dont waste BFG ammo on something stupid like a Cacodemon or Revenant, but If there were hordes of those, I would use a BFG.

I never use the pistol unless I have too (ie Episode 4, since the start is very tight on ammo.)

However, I find the unberserk fist beyond useless. It takes half a minute or so to kill a demon with it. And people suggested I kill the Barons with it to get a 100% Kills? O_o

A weapon that's useless in one map may be essential in another. I'd say the only universally useless weapon is the you keep running out of ammo for - it's probably your favouite ;-)

I guess the peashooter is pretty much the most useless weapon. At least, black berserker box thingies gives some power to bitchslapping.

Gay weapons aren't necessarily useless.

I'm terrible at DOOM but i've taken down a Cacodemon with a pistol pretty easily. The pistol fires a large amount of shots per second, really; just not huge.I could probably take down a single Mancubus with the pistol if I had a soul sphere when I was done with the battle to recharge my health (and I had armor.)

The pistol is also good against Demons in a large room, not better than anything else, but if you start a level in a large room up against a few Demons just back away and keep firing!

Finally, the pistol is awesome for sniping. Take out enemy targets like Imps, Sergeants, Demons, Hell knights (I'm not kidding, it takes a while but It could work) and Cacodemons from a window. This is particularly good on Demons - even if -fast is enabled, making the Chainsaw useless against Demons, the good ol' pistol can take 'em out via sniping since their only attack is short-range.

From my POV the most useless weapon is a Chainsaw- but only when you have a chaingun and full ammo. The Chaingun does almost as much damage per minute as the Chainsaw, but can do it at range. Also, the berserk fist is nigh useless if you have a Chainsaw, or a supershotgun and a lot of ammo. Obviously the non-berserk fist is useless - but come on that doesn't even count!

ryaxnb said:
The pistol fires a large amount of shots per second, really; just not huge.

It's relatively quick, only the Chaingun and the Plasma rifle are faster; 2.5 shots per second, according to the Wiki's stats.

Obviously the non-berserk fist is useless - but come on that doesn't even count!

It's the least powerful, no doubt, but also what the Chainsaw is to the Chaingun (with advanced movement skills, a good ammo saver for levels with a tighter supply). Non-enhanced punching against anything bigger than Demons naturally becomes tedious, though, as it takes a while.

YMB said:

There was no need to keep the Shotgun in Doom 2, since they added the SSG. Or at least drop one when you pick up the other. Who would say, "Oh boy, I could kill this Revenant with two blasts, but I'd rather waste time and potentially die while using the shotgun>'

Don't you remember map15? You had to use the shotgun to pick off monsters on ledges from a distance. Shotgun is best for this. SSG sucketh at long range. Shotgun holds together at very long range.