Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Maes

ZDoom demos go out of sync very easily!

I've been trying to record some ZDoom demos to exchange with Jodwin for map testing, but I can't seem to be able to play back my own demos!

I noticed it's very easy to send ZDoom demo playback out of sync just by alt-tabbing, and sometimes playing a demo back again solves the problem, however now I'm also getting demos that CONSISTENTLY go out of sync at a certain point :-(

I'm using the latest ZDoom (ZDOOM 2.1.7 (r366)), is there some known bug or some setting I can tweak to restore sync?

BTW, I noted that during actual play, the game slows down when there are a lot of blood/decals on the walls, can this affect demo sync or is it accounted for?

Also, I tried changing screen resolution and HUD size during demo playback, can this seriously affect demo syncing?

no, and it's common sense for different zdoom demos going out of sync for different zdooms. it's just not intended to be in sync anyway

I recorded it and played it back with the same version of ZDoom, which I mentioned in the above post, if that wasn't obvious. And what good would a demo be if it was not in-sync anyway?

Chances are you've got slightly different versions running.

If not, then replay the demo you just recorded and see if it goes out of sync. If it does, OOPS ZDOOM BROEK TEH DEMO FEATURE.

In the original game demos can desynch if you go to the menu, so such causes are not unheard of, but I'm not certain if this is what makes ZDoom demos unstable, although I've seen (and heard of) the issue.

PS: Leileilol (I should know) and udderdude need to hone their reading comprehension skills.

We're talking about ZDoom, so demo support is nothing to speak (fondly) of. Post a bug on the ZDoom forums, along with the demo and wad in question and someone might be able to help.

Well, since there's absolutely no issue of different versions running (I'm firing up the same version via C#4rp Launcer) and the desync seems very circumstancial depending on what's going on in my machine, I think I'll go the bug-submitting way.

After all, it's been a while since ZDoom was updated, and demo desync is not the only bug I've noticed as of lately (plenty of audio related bugs too).

If anything, and I mean ANYTHING, in Doom does not behave in a completely deterministic manner with respect to only (and I mean ONLY) the player's input, then a demo is bound to go out of sync. There's probably a setting somewhere that's not assured to have the same value during playback and recording (ie not archived in the demo header), or something similar.

Or I could be wrong and zdoom's demo system is completely broken. But I'd find that surprising.

Maes said:

After all, it's been a while since ZDoom was updated, and demo desync is not the only bug I've noticed as of lately (plenty of audio related bugs too).

I've seen you complain a lot about problems in ZDoom but yet, you haven't posted a single bug report where it counts. How do you expect these problems to be solved?

In this particular case, post a broken demo at the ZDoom forum (not here!) so Randy and I can investigate.

OK, I will register and submit the buggy demo. It's just that until now I was a bit reluctant about registering to yet another forum...but I guess ZDoom forums should be worth the time.

However a quick and easy way to indude a demo desync in ZDoom, that works fairly consistently, is to alt-tab to another application and then back to ZDoom: things will go out of sync in most cases, but I will try more examples and post with more detail in ZDoom forums. See you there, then.