Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Acidic Lamb

What Program is easy to use to edit Doom?

"Edit Doom" is a rather vague phrase; what exactly is it you want to edit? Levels? Graphics? Monster behaviour? Each has its own set of tools.

For modification of the messages, enemy behavior, etc. use WhackEd. To make your own WADs, use DoomBuilder, WadAuthor, Deepsea, or any one of countless others.

Levels: Doombuilder
Scripting (in script capable ports): Doombuilder
Monster Behavior: DeHackEd (import with XWE/SLumpEd)
Custom Graphics: XWE/SLumpEd
Custom Textures: XWE/SLumpEd
Custom Sounds: XWE/SLumpEd

All are free.

I usually use Doom Builder for level editing and scripts, XWE for overall managing the wad, and WhackEd for editing monster behavior and weapons.

There is also old school basic editors like WadAuthor and DeeP that will be easy to figure out for a beginner. Otherwise, like they mentioned above, DoomBuilder. I even use it, it's a really cool program...

Stealthy Ivan said:

old school basic editors like WadAuthor

WadAuthor actually has full zDoom feature support. I suppose many people dislike it because it's sector-based (not linedef-based), but it's always worked well for me. It's a bit old compared to DB, however.

Genoveffo said:

If you want to make maps for vanilla Doom, use these editors. They're old but still kick ass.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=1586
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=251

You can use SLADE, Doom Builder, DeepSea, or any other modern editor to do the same thing in less time. Personally I'd recommend learning either SLADE or Doom Builder, or preferably both, since they both have different strengths and weaknesses. Either way, once you've found an editor you like and gotten used to how it works, you can use it for anything; vanilla Doom (i.e. doom.exe/doom2.exe), Boom, ZDoom, Eternity, etc.

Stealthy Ivan said:

This is interesting, I did not know it was keeping up with par. Hmm... What about Deep/DeepSea?

I, for one, find DeeP pretty useless. Sure it has a cooler 3D editor than DB but thats about it.

The free version only allows enough lines for a very small level, and the full version costs $34 (has this changed yet?) for the same capabilities as DB that I can get for free.

Deepsea for beginners who want to make small maps.
Slade for experts who want to make longer maps.
Deepsea for experts with $20 to spare.

The free version only allows enough lines for a very small level, and the full version costs $34 (has this changed yet?) for the same capabilities as DB that I can get for free.

Oh come on. Regardless of my opinion on the fact that DeepSea is shareware, I can clearly see that; functionality-wise, DeepSea has by far the most robust toolset of any DOOM editor.

However, I will say that I much prefer DoomBuilder's interface as DeepSea's is too 'old and crusty' for me these days.

These are the ones I have used through the years Deep, Deepsea, RGDMED (It came on a disk in the back of a book), deutex, Wadauthor, DeHacked and the one I use presently is Doom Builder. I think DB is great for beginners and also offers a lot of features for the pro's.

or if you are editing on unix (or linux),you could use Yadex,which, although oldschool,has support for zdoom (almost complete) and automatically adds monsters and items found inside a DECORATE lump,should a wad contain one of these

farhaven said:

or if you are editing on unix (or linux),you could use Yadex,which, although oldschool,has support for zdoom (almost complete) and automatically adds monsters and items found inside a DECORATE lump,should a wad contain one of these

Speaking of Linux, did you ever try Lindows? I ran it on one of my box's for a while and was rather impressed! I never tried gaming on it though so I do not know how doom1,2 or 3 would take to it, is it possible to run these on Lindows?

gaming on linux is absolutely no problem (there are native binaries for all versions of doom and quake,for example), but to be honest, Lindows is an insult for everything called Linux. It doesn't try to show Linux's strengths but it covers them for making Linux more like Windows (read: I have tried it once, but that "experience" only lasted 2 hours,then I got sick of it)

I recommend Doombuilder for any beginners who want to edit maps, it's the only editing tool so far that I've never had any problems with. The help file is great for completely new editors and you can always open up someone else's wad an see how they did it if you want to know how to do a certain trick not in the help file. The only thing is it's a pain to test vanilla doom maps the first time if you don't know what you're doing, but once you have your parameters, just click and go.

yomoneyboat said:

WadAuthor actually has full zDoom feature support. I suppose many people dislike it because it's sector-based (not linedef-based), but it's always worked well for me. It's a bit old compared to DB, however.

I love it and use it for all of my maps, I don't understand linedef-based editors very well.
I'll stick with my sectors, not to mention the creator is a very helpful fellow and keeps good records for Registraion code history.
I'v lost my codes twice now and he was always able to help me out.