Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Genoveffo

Wads that wrote a page of history

Can anyone make a list of wads that introduced a new feature, an innovation, etc? I suggest to start from origwad.wad and to arrive to UTNT.

Wouldn't it be better to split this up into source ports? Vanilla maps from 1994-whenever source ports came about (I know ZDoom is 1998 but I'm sure there's earlier).

Also, I would suggest to end in TUTNT, which has introduced some things I've NEVER seen in a WAD before, beyond KDiZD.

BoldEnglishman said:

Wouldn't it be better to split this up into source ports? Vanilla maps from 1994-whenever source ports came about (I know ZDoom is 1998 but I'm sure there's earlier).

I don't know if moderators agree.

Also, I would suggest to end in TUTNT, which has introduced some things I've NEVER seen in a WAD before, beyond KDiZD.

I fixed the first post.

Count in:
Ace Team' Batman Doom for the timeless DEHACKED work
Cyb's Void for the crazy map idea
Enjay's Thief for the first GZDoom Heretic map (great job)
Laz Rojaz' WolfenDoom for being Wolfendoom
Hacx for the first (?) commercial addon
Kessler's KZDoom series introducing many new ZDoom features and actually "promoting" ZDoom in a way (at least for me)
KDiZD for the first episode 1 project that made it legally to the archives and at least introducing the first ever 3d intermap

kdizd is the first legal episode 1 remake project ever to make it to the archives? what the shit are you smoking, there are tons of e1 remakes in the archives that i assure you are legal. seriously who is your dealer?

* UAC_DEAD, introducing invisible pedestals and deep fluid,
* Hell Revealed, the idea of power maps with many painful monsters but acceptable play,
* the NUTS wads, real sized armies of monsters in single levels.

"History" needs time to be made. It needs to create lasting effects. If you want to do this seriously don't include wads finished weeks or days ago.

John Smith said:
kdizd is the first legal episode 1 remake project ever to make it to the archives?

I think he means it's the first one to plaster stuff all over the orignal levels and make it to the archive, as opposed to being original work that replaces and is similar to Knee Deep in the Dead.

myk said:

I think he means it's the first one to plaster stuff all over the orignal levels and make it to the archive, as opposed to being original work that replaces and is similar to Knee Deep in the Dead.

Thx myk, that's what I actually meant

Tormentor667 said:

Thx myk, that's what I actually meant

Also would be the second wad in history to cause such epic levels of drama, TNT:Evilution being the first.

myk said:

"History" needs time to be made. It needs to create lasting effects. If you want to do this seriously don't include wads finished weeks or days ago.

Why? Some events that happened yesterday are history now.

Genoveffo said:
Some events that happened yesterday are history now.

No, they are current events. At best they are candidates to make history, but as they say "only time will tell". An event may be considered "momentous" by many or by some in a strong way, but only ater a period will it be evident in which way (if any) it is of truly historical importance, after it has produced effects and after trials have given people the opportunity to examine everything associated to it in meaningful ways.

Csonicgo said:

Also would be the second wad in history to cause such epic levels of drama, TNT:Evilution being the first.

Drama created by idiots and dumbasses... :P

Also, from a certain point of view, Immoral Conduct for setting a new standard for "gameplay enhancement" mods, and whatever wad first featured a fake 3D bridge. And, perhaps unfortunately, dwango5. Not really an innovative wad, but it has certainly made an impact.

edit: +Cyberdreams.

-The Lost Episodes of DOOM for being the first commercial add-on.
-Null Space for its innovative theme and architecture
-Aliens Tc, for being what it is.
-Action DOOM for being the first (and only) wad with such big hype campaign that didn't turn into a flame war. And also of course for all the unique scripting and graphic work.
-wow! for being probably the first retarded wad with retarded text file that was uploaded.
-Dwango5 for take the soul of 75% of the multiplayer DOOM community.

Probably any wad that would be on "10 years of wads" and any wad that would be on "Top 10 infamous wads."

Mordeth E1 for, apparently, creating it's very own genre of "Mordeth style" wads

Mordeth E2 and E3 for famously becoming a shorthand for so many Doom projects with huge ambitions which never see the light of day (though it may one day, unlike the others)

Doom Rampage Edition for most pathetic author reaction to criticism?

deathbringer said:

Doom Rampage Edition for most pathetic author reaction to criticism?

I'd say Nazi Auferstehung wins that category.
Say... all these recent threads about best/favorite wads has me thinking... "All-Time Cacowards," anyone?

all time cacowards = doomworld.com/10years

neways you obviously weren't around for DRE. It was so epic it makes nazi aufwhatever look like a jew after hitler has finished with him.

John Smith said:

It was so epic it makes nazi aufwhatever look like a jew after hitler has finished with him.

I resent that. Anyway, is there a thread somewhere around here where the creator of DRE defends it?

10 sectors wad, the product of the biggest and best editing competition in Doom's history. It brought greater technical understanding of Doom editing to the community. In my opinion this helped improve the overall quality of maps made after it.

yomoneyboat said:

Anyway, is there a thread somewhere around here where the creator of DRE defends it?

Unfortunately not. He did most of his shit on his own webpage and it's all lost by now - if you can call that a loss... ;)

Graf Zahl said:

Drama created by idiots and dumbasses... :P

Well said. I wish you good time management regarding any future wad project.

Vegeta, it's wow or the wad with girl posters or that cute wonder of Level 8?