Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

[TCoTD : Apocalypse] Final v1.1 Released! (p6)

After UTNT and KDiZD (as well as a Sapphire Surprise to come) I present you my latest work in progress, and most likely one that is going to be released this year, in 2007 if I am quick enough ;) The successor to The City of The Damned, with the promising sub title Apocalypse.

I haven't much to show off yet but expect a very special Doom experience again. I have several nice ideas, already a bunch of new monsters, new textures... and this...

Some say, sourceports in software mode need 32 bit? I say 128 colors are already more than enough ;)

The City of The Damned: (just in case you do not know it)
http://www.realm667.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=142&Itemid=37

From what game are those textures? the palette looks nice the textures aren't my kind of thing though.

[edit]Nevermind the textures appear to be from blood pay attention DD :p

And this is what I am aiming at:

I will create a spooky and moody town, and I will most likely only use dynamic lights for that, as few times as possible sector lighting for achiving a certain effect.

I remember downloading that first WAD with the Blood texture resource pack back in 2004...
It was quite impressionable and got me really lost in search for all those door keys.
(I actually love WADs that do that :) )

So I'm gladly looking forward to see the sequel.

Tormentor667 said:

I haven't much to show off yet but expect a very special Doom experience again.

I hope that'll have something to do with gameplay too, not just graphics...

how the shit you people can tell a map is good or not from 2 screenshots from an unfinished wad with a nearly half grey palette I will never know. must be psychic powers gifted to the chosen few or something.

John Smith said:

how the shit you people can tell a map is good or not from 2 screenshots from an unfinished wad with a nearly half grey palette I will never know. must be psychic powers gifted to the chosen few or something.

I could kiss you if I were gay.

John Smith said:

John Smith speaks the truth and he should have used big bold characters, if the forums allowed it, to express his confidence. Both screenshots have parties of one monster of every species thought to fit there. Under a basic Doom engine, they'd easily fight each-other, leaving the cybie and a couple of wounded alive -- easy fight. If infighting were disabled, the monster AI would group them in tight formation, exposing themselves to all the fire, resulting in equal shit. Or they might simply be peaceful evil talkable to characters. Hope that's well implemented, not just a ZDoom gimmick.

I can't find the purple gay dildo :P I did find an plasmagun though, man that map is hard skill levels would be nice for the next one I died alot yeah I know I am an avarage doom player.

The new shot look spooky indeed looks like you are mixing Blood with Doom like the two games joined into one.

John Smith said:

Um...For your information, we were making a judgement based on the finished WAD which was the prequel to this one.
The 2 screenshots on this thread are not the only material which the author has to show his skill, you know.

And I've had the same adventure as DutchDevil did...I couldn't find the purple gay dildo, so I lurked around with a plasma gun but still got loads of fun :)

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Uh. Torm. That palette couldn't be gayer if it was all shades of purple. 32 variations of gray is enough.

EDIT: I also hope you realize that more than 16 dynamic lights in one area makes my 3.2 GHz PC run at less than 10FPS. In 320x200.

yomoneyboat said:

Looks like a winner. Of course, I wouldn't expect anything less from you, Torm.

Got something brown on your nose there...

the iron hitman said:

Yet again Tormentor667 shows us a fabulous display of mapping.

All I see is a fabulous display of resource theft. Not much in terms of map at all in those shots.

the iron hitman said:

Yet again Tormentor667 shows us a fabulous display of mapping. Easily one of the best mappers on Doomworld IMO. Keep it up Torm! :)

What the fuck are you talking about? All he's shown so far is a small outdoor area with three lamps.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

yomoneyboat is one of those few that liked Resident Evil: Apocolypse. Once something gets Apocolypse on the end of it's title, it automatically is devoid of any semblance of good taste; and yet, there are those few people...

Fisk said:
[B
EDIT: I also hope you realize that more than 16 dynamic lights in one area makes my 3.2 GHz PC run at less than 10FPS. In 320x200. [/B]

In that case: Buy a better graphics card. It's not the CPU that's the bottleneck. I was perfectly able to run even larger maps with many more lights on a 3.2 GHz system with a GF 6800 at decent frame rates.

From the screenshot it looks like a new map with the same Tormentor's traditional theme (brown, over detailed, half gothic map).

It looks like some of you should have used the toilet more frequently this morning to prevent their bodies from some overpressure O_o Guys, what's wrong with you? I didn't even reply often here and yet again, this starts to become a flaming thread (yeah, thats Tormentor-Style :P)

First at all some explanations on the upper shots: They are just a Demo room for me and some demo screenshots for others so you get a small idea what to see in "TCotD - Apocalypse" (acronyms rule :P). This is no definite room, the light usage isn't done properly and the monster placement won't look like this :P Just a demo, a preview of material, nothing final. And you will get more colors than only gray, that's just the way it looks if being lit up by those lamps. So cool down -_-°

@Vegeta - The light source is orange, has nothing to do with brown or not brown and beyond, when I count the visible sectors, I get 6 sectors in total. If that's overdetailed then you should think about mapping for Wolf3D yourself :P

@Fisk - The reason for the palette changes has nothing to do with the amount of grays, it's simply to replace the already paletted colors with gray without having to reimport all that stuff again. Beyond, I can't do anything about it if your machine can't handle more than 16 dynamic lights, sorry, but this is necessary.

Hmm tasty. I'm estatic to hear that this will be out in 2007 :) (I hope). Enjoyed the first map, I DID find the purple gay dildo (without cheats :P) and only just a couple of days ago I stumbled upon the Spider Mastermind. God damn that air vent is so obscure and dark!

I would prefer to see Sapphire II but hey that's my own opinion. I'm looking forward to this nonetheless ;)

BoldEnglishman said:

I would prefer to see Sapphire II but hey that's my own opinion. I'm looking forward to this nonetheless ;)

I already have plans for that too :P

BoldEnglishman said:

Enjoyed the first map, I DID find the purple gay dildo (without cheats :P)

Actually I doubt that, since there is NO purple dildo in TCoTD (unless I missed some kind of update)!
However there is one in KDiZD z1m10, wich is kind of a tribute to this joke.

Since the screenshots don't show much yet, all I can say is that the idea looks interesting at least. I'm a bit sceptical about the new palette, because I'm afraid it will make things much to monotonous, even with added dynamic lightning...
I'm curious how this will turn out!

Tormentor667 said:

It looks like some of you should have used the toilet more frequently this morning to prevent their bodies from some overpressure O_o Guys, what's wrong with you? I didn't even reply often here and yet again, this starts to become a flaming thread (yeah, thats Tormentor-Style :P)

It's not flaming against the map, but the mindless fanboys.

The darkness issue is a typical Tormentor problem. I have to increase my monitor's gamma almost to the limit to see something on them...