Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Peanut

Stupid photoshop fuzz...

Hey there! I have been recently working on a halo 3 weapons mod and i have been fixing up some sprites while i read up on decorate. This is irritating because when i load in the sprite into XWE and test it in skulltag or zdoom or anything else, it turns up like this:

I used photoshop to get this sprite and that stupid fuzz is all over it not to mention the purple fuzz on the edges of the weapon. I was hoping some of you might know how i can load in this sprite without getting the stupid fuzz effect.

First off, that looks like a bad JPEG artifacts issue - for one, you won't want to use JPEG images in Doom (can you even do that in ports? Not that I recall...). So you'll want to convert it to a bitmap image.

Secondly, the edges of the gun look antialiased to me - which will also cause problems. Doom has one transparent palette entry, meaning that the only colour in that image that won't be drawn is the cyan one (0, 255, 255) and NO OTHERS. No other shades of cyan, like the edges between your weapon and the background. It needs to be a crisp edge, if that makes sense.

Paint.

Pr, play with the Photoshop settings. I have a graphics program that fuzzes the edges when I save it; its to give it a more blended texture to the background. It works when you want it to, but its a pain in the arse when you dont. You might be able to disable it in Photoshop.

Failing that, printscreen it and paste it into paint.

Like Zarky said, it looks like you chopped the image out of a JPEG. If all your screenshots are JPEGs, you have no choice but to erase borders manually. If you can take screenshots in PNG or BMP format, that'd be preferable.

zarkyb said:

First off, that looks like a bad JPEG artifacts issue - for one, you won't want to use JPEG images in Doom (can you even do that in ports? Not that I recall...). So you'll want to convert it to a bitmap image.

Secondly, the edges of the gun look antialiased to me - which will also cause problems. Doom has one transparent palette entry, meaning that the only colour in that image that won't be drawn is the cyan one (0, 255, 255) and NO OTHERS. No other shades of cyan, like the edges between your weapon and the background. It needs to be a crisp edge, if that makes sense.

That makes sense. Thank you. By bitmap do you mean BMP? Cause in the "save as" format i don't see bitmap and i can't remember if BMP meant Bitmap.

The issue seems to be when XWE applies the DOOM palette to it. Before you save it as a bitmap, try applying the palette using different dithering methods (Paintshop Pro or The GIMP are good for this). Some might make it easier to fix it up, but you'll likely have do some manual correcting anyway.

myk said:

The issue seems to be when XWE applies the DOOM palette to it. Before you save it as a bitmap, try applying the palette using different dithering methods (Paintshop Pro or The GIMP are good for this). Some might make it easier to fix it up, but you'll likely have do some manual correcting anyway.

Photoshop, the tool the user has available, is also capable of this.