Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jodwin

Boom: Insta-death sectors?

As the subjects kinda states, is there any smart way to create a sector which, upon entering, would instantly kill the player? In Boom that is. Obviously one kinda hacky solution is to create extra lines inside the sector that upon walkover would toggle a crusher in a dummy sector containing a voodoo doll, but that's a bit restrictive and hard to fine tune since if the lines are too close to the other sectors close to the harmful one you could toggle the crusher without actually entering the sector, and if the lines are too far you could enter the sector without getting into any harm.

So, is this kind of a thing doomed to fail without scripting or other more advanced editing features?

Boom doesn't have that feature. Aside from hacks you'd have to switch to an engine that can do it if you absolutely need it.

Dehacked invisible immobile imponderable monsters who bite continuously, they can nearly kill you instantly.

not instantly, but very quick, let a voodoo doll teleport on a second one

Or telefrag a voodoo doll, or operate a crusher on a voodoo doll, or force a voodoo doll onto a damaging sector by a floor that rises and changes texture to a sector that has a damaging floor.

didy and Use3D and JohnnyRancid said:

a voodoo doll...a voodoo doll...a voodoo doll...

Thanks for the suggestions, but these aren't too different from what I already mentioned (a voodoo doll crusher) in the sense that they essentially require a walkover linedef that, again, comes with the issue of fine tuning the linedef positions so that no mistakes could happen. printz' suggestion is a pretty good one though, need to think about that one a bit.

Also, an other related question: I guess there is no sector damage effect in Boom that would damage the player even if he doesn't touch the sector floor, but instead is falling down?

Another idea (similar to printz's) is a dehacked invisible object that uses A_Explode every game tic (use multiple objects to increase the damage rate). This probably would only work if your sector was largish (256 units wide) and circular.

I guess there is no sector damage effect in Boom that would damage the player even if he doesn't touch the sector floor, but instead is falling down?

No, you have to be touching the floor for damage to apply.

Ajapted said:

Another idea (similar to printz's) is a dehacked invisible object that uses A_Explode every game tic (use multiple objects to increase the damage rate). This probably would only work if your sector was largish (256 units wide) and circular.

However, both the explosions and bites are height-insensitive. Explosions are blocked by 3d surfaces, still. The only height-sensitive thing in Doom coming to my mind is the Projectile.

Make an inert invisible monster shoot missiles continuously, which fade quickly. Make them 1 tall, 0 or 1 fast, and invisible. Anything shootable stepping on it will take damage per firing round.

Biting monsters only affect the player, but it doesn't matter whether he stays on or near the floor. I yet have to know whether Doom monsters acquire new targets in Coop as their current one runs away. Do they? If yes, this floor damage effect would be near great.

What about an invisible mute monster (with little radius) that has explosions as melee? You don't have to worry about monsters as if a monster falls inside the pit, it's because it's already dead.

To make it clear, we are talking about (perhaps) 0.2 seconds. I don't know what you are aiming to, but if this is important than afaik you have to switch to a port with a real instand death.

I am telefraging a voodoo doll and I will use a fake floor to prevent the player to go further after crossing the 'instand death line' and activate a line which lowers a floor - this is my solution and it runs good for boom.

I am just curious.

@ printz, do you know about a wad using this trick?

STRAIN has a more or less instant death monster (called the Decompress Daemon) - it replaces the SS Nazi. It's not actually used in STRAIN though, but if you load a wad on top of it that features SS (e.g. "glboom-plus strain doom2 strain.deh -warp 31 -skill 4"), then you can see its effect for yourself.

The idea was that these monsters would be activated if a dome (on a presumably atmosphereless world) got broken. The monster moves very fast and deals enough damage to kill the player even when invulnerable.

As a possible solution to the present question, it could be made deaf and placed in a sector for which you have tweaked the reject so that it ignores all other sectors. So the player is safe until he wanders into this sector, and is killed immediately he enters it.

Though I don't really see why telefragging a voodoo doll shouldn't be considered a complete and simple solution.

didy said:

@ printz, do you know about a wad using this trick?

Your delayed telefrag trick or another? I didn't take my time to see how they work. There's an instant death pit in a Congestion1024 (one or another) late level: it surrounds the island and it's like a Quake 3 void. It's done well enough to fool you actually died of falling. Other death trap maps I remember are TNT map30, DODEAD e1m3 (bad for coop) and scarce others.

I haven't found the projectile trick described in my post, I haven't been searching so hard. It's only a possibility -- I've also been thinking about nukage which can resurrect. If the wad is for BOOM, tough luck, because a new projectile has to replace another. I hope the missile things aren't able to move vertically instantly.

Grazza said:

STRAIN has a more or less instant death monster (called the Decompress Daemon)...

...The idea was that these monsters would be activated if a dome (on a presumably atmosphereless world) got broken. The monster moves very fast and deals enough damage to kill the player even when invulnerable.

I remember hearing about this, and I wish they had ended up using it. Still, I'm not sure I can see a feasible way to make it function as intended, but then again, they pulled off a number of tricks in STRAIN that I still can't figure out. Interestingly, I was just tested out the Decompression Daemons, and found they're a lot slower than I imagined, and it seems they can't be awoken by sounds. I'd look at the DeHackEd work, but I've never been able to open the patch.

Not to derail the thread, but are any of the Alpha Dog guys still around and making WADs? I would give just about anything for a sequel to STRAIN.

printz said:
Other death trap maps I remember are TNT map30, DODEAD e1m3 (bad for coop) and scarce others.

Heh .. I have to claim responsibility for that one ;) Back then, I was only just discovering Doom editing, and wanted to try all the cool tricks, like the pointless deep water effect in E1M2 of DODEAD. The deathtrap seemed like a cool idea at the time (it was supposed to be a malfunctioning teleport pad), but in hindsight from a gameplay perspective it sucked and even though I put warning textures around the teleporter it was just a lame "haha you're dead!" trap ;)

Grazza said:

Though I don't really see why telefragging a voodoo doll shouldn't be considered a complete and simple solution.

It'll break in Coop.