Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gazz

Classic Doom 3 1.3.1

I thought the concept behind it was great, and it was interesting to see the old levels re-made into the Doom 3 engine. But gameplay-wise, it was a bit dull, and obviously playing against 3-4 enemy types throughout 8 levels is a let-down (though to be expected).

The Spectre was neat.

BoldEnglishman said:

The Spectre was neat.

It was a poor minded idea not to put Spectres in original Doom 3.

printz said:

It was a poor minded idea not to put Spectres in original Doom 3.

and real cacodemons.

...and real lost souls....

..and real barons of hell/hell knights..

you get my point.

I really enjoyed classic Doom. In fact, I spent quite a bit of time making it "even more classic" by applying more true-to-the-the-originals colours (some based off DL'd mods) to the monster skins, better menu graphics, original Doom sounds to it and a bunch of other minor tweaks. ( http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=455igJNYEtc )

In fact, I still occasionally play it and Classic Doom is the only reason that Doom3 is still on my HD. If it hadn't been for Classic Doom, Doom3 would have been uninstalled and almost forgotten about a very, very long time ago. Classic Doom may be a limited set of levels with only a few monsters but it has far more replay value than the main game IMO.

Where can I download the zip file elsewhere? Filefront refuses me.

OK, I found the mod, but it crashes:

found DLL in pak file: /usr/local/share/games/doom3/cdoom/cdoom_linux.pk4/gamex86.so
copy gamex86.so to /home/ducon/.doom3/cdoom/gamex86.so
Regenerated world, staticAllocCount = 0.
Shutting down sound hardware

I can see the splashscreen then boom.
I tried to rename the cdoom directory in my ~/.doom3/ but it crashes too.

You need to upgrade Doom3. That's why they updated it, to match the latest version of Doom3 (Vista fix)

Thanks, it works. I previously had the 1302 version, the 1304 works.
But this update messed up my savegames.

The music for this mod straight up rocks, I know that much. The guy who arranged and recorded it in his own private studio has an account on youtube. It's awesome.

Zeroth said:

Did anybody else hate this mod?

Classic Doom is the only reason I hesitated to uninstall Doom3. By far the best mod for the game by a long shot.

Zeroth said:

Did anybody else hate this mod?

I liked it, but the balance is upset a bit because some of the Doom 3 monsters are much stronger than their classic equivalents (the Demon, for example).

fraggle said:

I liked it, but the balance is upset a bit because some of the Doom 3 monsters are much stronger than their classic equivalents (the Demon, for example).

That was one of the things I thought could have been improved, but the opposite way around to what your post suggests. To me the D3 demon is a bigger, more powerful looking beast than its D/D2 equivalent. Yet the Classic Doom Demon still usually goes down after the number of shots it would take to bring down a normal Doom pinky.

To me the balance is "upset" because there are generally more enemies in the levels than there were in the original Episode 1 and those enemies are tougher primarily because their AI is a bit better (ducking and running, sidestepping, crawling etc). However, I don't have a huge problem with it and the ramping up of the difficulty was, I thought, about right for a version released in this day and age.

The Flaming Sheeps would have done better if they preserved the indigenous Doom 3 monster properties, not make them equally weak as their more stupid counterparts.

Enjay said:

That was one of the things I thought could have been improved, but the opposite way around to what your post suggests. To me the D3 demon is a bigger, more powerful looking beast than its D/D2 equivalent. Yet the Classic Doom Demon still usually goes down after the number of shots it would take to bring down a normal Doom pinky.

Yeah, I guess you're right. The thing that I found really annoying was the way that the floor shakes when a Demon moves, though. When you get a roomful of the things like in E1M8, it just becomes ridiculous.

I installed this mod but i got this error, not in the first level

<WARNING: idScriptObject::SetType: Unknown type 'monster_demon_spec'
TODO: Sys_SetClipboardData
--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------
--------------------------------------
ERROR: Script object 'monster_demon_spec' not found on entity 'monster_demon_spec_9'.>

Make sure you have Patch 1.3.1 for Doom 3 installed alongside the mod and make sure the mod is located in the following (or similar) directory on your PC:

c:\pathtogames\doom 3\cdoom\

This is the most common reason for this error. If you use windows, make sure you get the .exe installer for simplicity.

Finally, make sure you have no other mods installed with Doom 3 in your 'base' folder otherwise there may be conflicts causing the mod not to work on your machine.

I'm using ubuntu 9.04, doom 3 version doom3-linux-1.3.1.1304.x86.run

installed the mod in /usr/local/games/doom3/

ok resolved
the problem is the mod double barrell, i tried the supersotgun of roe in classic doom