Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skeletor

Buying a new PC...CPU questions

So, I'm about to get a new pc and I've been out of the scene for a while. The only question I have is about the CPU.
Why is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029

$1.00 more expensive than this?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115004

The 2.66GHz has an FSB of 1333 while the other which is 2.13GHz has a FSB of 1066. Why is one more expensive than the other? There are more products that are priced like this. I'm guessing higher numbers doesn't always mean better?

In this case, I'd say that higher numbers do mean better. Looking at the wikipedia page, it looks like the cheaper one is a newer revision of the Core 2 Duo, while the more expensive one is an older revision.

When comparing across processors, you can't compare numbers like clock speed directly (eg. a 2GHz AMD is different to a 2GHz Intel). In this case though, both processors are Intel and from the same family of processor, so it looks like the cheaper one is better. Probably some screwup by newegg.com.

Newegg often has the superior product priced below the inferior depending on stock levels. If they need to shift a lot of certain item because they have loads of it (and are confident they could come by more if needed) then the price will fall to get it out of the warehouse. There are other hardware retailers do the same thing - Medion used to do it here in the UK.

There was another case of this the other day when anarkavre was looking at two Acer LCD monitors and Newegg had the better one $10 cheaper.

Intel's pricing scheme is balls, its not neweggs fault. An E6700 retails for more than an E6750 (and IIRC an E6850 too) because...well because they're stupid. Needless to say you'll want to buy a processor thats an Exx50, not an Exx00

Of course, if you want to save a lot of cash you could always move down to my hometown and get an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ dual core for just under 100 bucks. Got mine for $84.99 before taxes, brand new too. The guy who owns the store jacked up the price 10 bucks the day after I bought it because it was a pricing error, but he left it at 85 for me since one of my friends is on VERY good terms with him. All I'm saying is if you know the right people, you'll get a good deal ;).