Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Manc

Doomnterviews

Weak, I know, but moving right along...

Forumgoer sigvatr has undertaken the task of interviewing some random chaps around this here Doom community (including Codeimp, Kaiser, Tormentor667 and more) and has them available on his website in their pure, unedited form. Along with general questions on specific attitudes and feelings of the community today, those that are working on upcoming projects share a bit of what we might see. If it's raining where you are, or you've finally finished reading the backlog of Penny Arcade and having nothing else to read on the internet, you may find these to be a good timekiller - and you may just learn a thing or two as well.

That was some very good stuff in those interviews. One of the things that I really liked was hardcore's answer to what kind of wad he'd like to see made; a Doom2 megawad using doom1 textures. I thought man that is it! That would be fantastic. After reading all of their interviews, it reminded me of just how good the original game was in terms of look, feel, and sound, and how that atmosphere has still not been equaled. I had to laugh a little when I read Kaiser's comments about the effect "The Halls of the Damned" (E2M6) had on him the first time he played it. If I remember correctly, the shareware version of Doom1 that I downloaded at the time had the same music from that level as the intro on the launcher. The first time I fired it up and that music started playing, I thought man how can it get any better.

I think I'll just go ahead and read these in notepad or something. The colorscheme of the website is screaming at my eyes.

EDIT: Randymandy?

Anyway, of the interviews I read, I was most intrigued by Kaiser's. He had some intresting things to say, unfortunately the interviewer didn't reflect on them.

kristus said:

I think I'll just go ahead and read these in notepad or something. The colorscheme of the website is screaming at my eyes.

EDIT: Randymandy?

Anyway, of the interviews I read, I was most intrigued by Kaiser's. He had some intresting things to say, unfortunately the interviewer didn't reflect on them.

I agree with kristus, i was most surprised by interview with kaiser... true true that most of zdoom mappers should just stop fighting for best linedef/sidedef/sector count... :D

Heh, I remember my Doom interview site on Yahoo...I had a few things of worth, but not much, aside from the interviews, which I think were pretty alright for being done by a kid that wasn't even 16 yet. They made the DW front page a few times :-P

I really enjoyed Kaiser's interview, but I felt it was too short and didn't ask some more interesting questions, they all seem to follow a format until the CodeImp interview.

Your color scheme sucks, sorry, red on black is horrible on everything but digital alarm clocks. Try making the text white on a black backround.

Csonicgo said:

Who are these people

Some who also posted here.

This interview scheme may well go on, it's fun. I just wish it were like a real interview, with live talkers, by phone or skype, uploaded then to Sigvatr's site. That would easily solve the grammar, vocabulary and emoticon issues coming from people's keyboards. But hell, interviews are refreshing.

printz said:

Some who also posted here.

This interview scheme may well go on, it's fun. I just wish it were like a real interview, with live talkers, by phone or skype, uploaded then to Sigvatr's site. That would easily solve the grammar, vocabulary and emoticon issues coming from people's keyboards. But hell, interviews are refreshing.

Yeah, are refreshing our community :)

These are some interesting interviews, but I do wish they were less formulaic. It's always refreshing to see a slew of interviews pop up every couple of years or so.

Nice to see the interview requests bear fruit. This could prove enlightening to the community if continued.

I wish the site was compatible with low screen resolutions.

Personally I'd like to see interviews with all the coders for source ports. :) (Skulltag, ZDaemon, Zdoom, GZDoom, Odamex, Chocolate Doom, etc, etc, etc...) Yes, I know I'm still missing a ton there.

The questions would obviously be more along the lines of plans for the source port, how the source port started, etc, etc and less along the lines of wad authoring.

I wouldn't mind seeing him interview that Unicorn_X guy, mostly just to see what it'd look like.

Kaiser's response to "Have you ever dreamed of Doom?" gave me a good laugh. There was some revealing insight into Doomers and great mapping advice to be had as well.

I have mapped for years, I think my first map was made on Virtual Arcade BBS in 1996. I have had plenty of local interviews and fan boys who liked my shit back when I ran my own Doom site called Team Hells Fury (And Team Sector X was before that). This is 2007, if you want to interview me play some of my work. It speaks for itself, it might not be the best but it speaks louder than words.
As for Sig's interviews I thought they really brought the spirit back into mapping for the new peeps in the doom community! Good job!
BTW I was wondering Sig if you have any future plans for maps and stuff? This community needs more peeps like you. I love when people have projects/events going, even if they never get finished, they still are something to play/check out!

At the moment, just Last Man on Earth. I'd like to see someone show some shots of the maps they are making for that.

All I really have time for is making wall panels and floors and stuff, though.

Sign in to follow this