Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sandford

making maps and changing the monsters images

I really want to make maps and change the monsters images and all but i have no idea how its done,,, i have doombuilder but i alse have no idea how to use it... isnt there an easier program to make all this? if so plz put it in here .... or teach me how to use doombuilder please

There are tutorials available, and most of the utilities come with some sort of documentation.

Read them and try something. Then come back with more specific questions, if you can't manage to get it to work.

Why not read the FAQ too?

I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask...

I want to add a new flat to a doom level I'm making. I was able to add a new entry to the WAD file, import the image, and change the file type to "floor." But when I go into Doom Builder it is not listed under flats. Is there something I should be doing differently?

doombuilder is the best /easiest in my opinion.
Mini-tutorial:
-Open Doombuilder.
-Press "l"
-draw 2 closed squares and connect them
-press "t"
-put a player 1 start inside the square
-save your map

you now have your first map!

To change monster images you can use XWE.

@stupidbunny
Be sure to put your new floor entry between a FF_START and FF_END marker. Hope that makes sense.

Actually, I have no idea how to go about doing that. :( I've looked around other forums for stuff on this but nobody goes into too much detail on how it's done or what programs to use.

StupidBunny said:
Actually, I have no idea how to go about doing that. :( I've looked around other forums for stuff on this but nobody goes into too much detail on how it's done or what programs to use.

Use the same program you used to import the graphic (what did you use?). Add two new lumps (entries), one before the flat, calling it to FF_START, and one after it, calling it F_START (or alternately FF_START, if you're making a level that runs only on "advanced" engines like Boom or ZDoom, but F_START will work in any case).

All right, I got it to work! :) Thanks a lot. I've got another question that's come up, though: how do I make textures and flats so that they animate? As far as I can tell, there's no obvious system with the filename as there is with sprite animation.

StupidBunny said:

All right, I got it to work! :) Thanks a lot. I've got another question that's come up, though: how do I make textures and flats so that they animate? As far as I can tell, there's no obvious system with the filename as there is with sprite animation.

Only certain textures or flats animate. Viewing the texture1 resource and looking through the flats directory will tell you which.

See also: This thread.