Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Movies/Games that needed or still need sequels

Just as the title says, what movies have you watched, or games that you played, were so awesome that the sequels that came after it made it all the better. or a sequel that would either relive the experience or put a continuation on the story.

For example, I got into the game Twisted Metal for the PSX, which is an awesome simple to play, survival deathmatch car combat game. The sequels that came after, (all but TM4) were AWESOME. New weapons, New special attacks, new characters, new levels, I loved it.

An example of a movie would be Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. I loved that movies characters, and I think they needed more adventures. They should have done a TV series or something.

Maybe later on we could drag this thread out further with movie/games that DIDNT need sequels but we got em anyway.

Rollcage, a futuristic car game where you battled other cars in lightning speed. Truly awesome game, however. The Sequel rendered the prequel virtually obsolete.

JohnnyRancid said:

Maybe later on we could drag this thread out further with movie/games that DIDNT need sequels but we got em anyway.

Cyberia didn't need a sequel. Hell we didn't really need Cyberia either.

JohnnyRancid said:

An example of a movie would be Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. I loved that movies characters, and I think they needed more adventures. They should have done a TV series or something.

There was a cartoon series.

And I am assuming you've seen Bogus Journey...

Really I can't think of a game or movie that really needed a sequel that didn't get one. If a sequel was made, it was usually worse than the original, if not, then a third installment was made which really killed it. Doom and Doom II are great, Doom III didn't need to be made, for example. The first blood was awesome, the sequel I thought was okay. I pretty much know for a fact that a third blood would be amazingly terrible. Generally, if a sequel is made, it seems to be that that sequel is either awful, or decent, however a third is unecessary. If you can't get the point across and perfected in two tries, you need to stop trying. I saw the Hitchhikers reference, but I think a sixth book would've been bad. Honestly I've always found the fourth and fifth books to be lacking, the plot just started wearing thing. Granted they had great moments, but they just didn't really seem needed. The only game I could really see re-looking is Undying. Jericho seems like it might be a spiritual successor, but honestly it doesn't look all that exciting. I loved the setting of undying, the primitive but ancestral weaponry, and the fact that you could use spells with one hand, and more traditional weaponry with the other. Firing three flaming, explosive skulls at someone while you shot them with a double barrel shotgun just screams class. Pretty excellent game in my opinion.

kristus said:

there should be a sequel to me.

Well, I suppose you should have a kid then. Better get busy.

By the way, like the Sasha avatar.

These are the franchises, not necessarily the specific title.

Games:

Syndicate
Blood
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division
King's Quest
Space Quest
Soldier of Fortune
Bladerunner

Movies:

Willow
Ninja Scroll
The Replacement Killers
Heat (actually, a prequel)
Ghost in the Shell
Gladiator

Some replies are a bit confusing, because the title asks two different things, although the main post itself dwells mostly on the first of those two.

printz said:
Doom

I agree; DOOM II was a great addition to DOOM.

Jello said:

I saw the Hitchhikers reference, but I think a sixth book would've been bad. Honestly I've always found the fourth and fifth books to be lacking, the plot just started wearing thing. Granted they had great moments, but they just didn't really seem needed.

Well the last book was pretty depressing and ended on a down note. Douglas Adams admitted to having wrote it during a bad year in his life. He wanted to make a sequel that would give the series a better ending, but unfortunately he died before he could finish it. I would have liked to see such a sequel. :(

Beyond Good & Evil

A great game that was intended to be part of a trilogy, but despite solid reviews it sold poorly and those plans were put on hold indefinitely. A shame...

Danarchy said:

Well the last book was pretty depressing and ended on a down note. Douglas Adams admitted to having wrote it during a bad year in his life. He wanted to make a sequel that would give the series a better ending, but unfortunately he died before he could finish it. I would have liked to see such a sequel. :(

Actually, the radio show version of the last book was pretty nice. They decided to revise the ending and it really made it so much more enjoyable. I realize some people have issues with happy endings, but it was just so much better than "everybody dies."

A widely unknown game series known as Battlezone (not the Atari arcade versions, the amazing action/strategy hybrid).

Battlezone 1 was great; and Battlezone 2, although buggy, brought a lot more to the table.

However, both of these games were rushed out the door, feeling very incomplete and very buggy, but still a ton of fun.

They have however, made a game for the PSP named Battlezone, yet it has nothing to do with the series, but oddly enough has hovertanks like the series...

But a True Battlezone 3 is much needed, if only Pandemic would've responded to a lot of the emails requesting it before they got bought out...

(For those of you who have NO clue what I am talking about, try Wikipedia, then google for some reviews)

I would love to see a sequel to Demon's Crest. That was always one of my favorite SNES games. It had great atmosphere, fun gameplay, and one of the hardest bosses ever. Plus, the ending kind of left it open for a sequel.

A true phantasy star V with designer reiko kodama...screw that online crap.

also, a sequel to panzer dragoon saga.

Movies:

Predator 3
Alien 5
Transformers 2
DooM 2
Terminator 4
Robocop 4
Mad Max 4

Games:

Wolfenstein
DooM 4

Meh thats is I guess most games I see these days don't interest me very much.

dutch devil said:

Games:

Wolfenstein
DooM 4

DooM 4 would be rather interesting, As for Wolf, some more multi player stuff would be sweet!
And you guys might rip me apart but, :P I loved that game Chasm the Rift, and I would like to see a new version of that come out!

geekmarine said:

Actually, the radio show version of the last book was pretty nice. They decided to revise the ending and it really made it so much more enjoyable. I realize some people have issues with happy endings, but it was just so much better than "everybody dies."

Yeah. I dunno why everyone cheers just because something has a bad ending. A lot of times I'd prefer something happier. There are good good endings and there are bad bad endings, though don't get me wrong because there are also bad good endings and good bad endings. I think that clears everything up.

I'd like to hear the radio series sometime.

John Smith said:

more firefly

FUCK YES