1. 1. What are you doing on Halloween?

• Participating in a halloween-themed event
    • Watching spooky movies
    • Giving out candy to kids
    • Receiving candy, and I am dressing as Batman
    • Nothing, I do not live in North America
    • I will work because my boss is evil

Stealthy Ivan said:

And... What wad do you think would fit the Halloween spirit?

I would say Afraid of Monsters or Afraid of Monsters: Directors Cut if it actually gets released on halloween. What? Half-life still uses the .wad format. If you haven't played it, and you have half-life, do yourself a favor. Freaky little game. Sort of a resident evil/silent hill/jacob's ladder hybrid in first person. Nice halloweenish feel.

Taking the kid trick r treating, then heading out to engage in the Bill Paxton death themed movie marathon. Of course, it's a (albeit lame) excuse to get some serious beers in me too :D

I said earlier:
The Saturday before though, I'll be at a Halloween party in New York, thinking it is awesome.

That was last night, and it was indeed awesome. A small party, very cosy, with people in all sorts of bizarre outfits (I was a Roman emperor, my friend I'm visiting here was a very convincing Nefertiti). My head still hurts a bit.

Went to a Halloween themed night at a local nightclub on Friday, but didn't bother dressing up because I'm lazy. It was a fantastic night and the place was packed. I'll probably do the same on Tuesday at another club.

Halloween night itself, I'll probably stay in and not answer the door, as most of the oxygen thieving parasites around here can't find anything more constructive to do with their time than hanging around on street corners verbally harassing passers by. Not to mention one of the filthy little bastards stole our doorbell. The thing that really bugs me though, is when they start knocking on the door several days prior to Halloween demanding confectionary. What the hell?

DooMAD said:

Not to mention one of the filthy little bastards stole our doorbell. The thing that really bugs me though, is when they start knocking on the door several days prior to Halloween demanding confectionery. What the hell?

Sort of like when people start letting off fireworks a month prior to guy fawkes night. At least they do here.

The funny thing is I've never had anyone knocking on the door at halloween. But that suits me fine. :p Mind you, most of the kids in this place are chavs, and they tend to do other things on halloween.

Texas Libra said:

You need a wake-up call, my friend.

In short, Halloween is basically the Pagan new year celebration, even though there's a winter holiday that the Catholics raped and turned into "Christmas".

Fixed that for you.

I don't celebrate Halloween, although I wouldn't mind going to some of the parties dressed up as Harry Potter - I already have a scar and glasses.

I got a wizard's robe and dagger. Now I'm gonna go to the party as a 4th level magic-user. Yay!

My school is renowned for its Halloween celebrations, and for good reason I discovered last night.

At some point during the debauchery, someone threw up on my phone. And astonishingly, it wasn't me.

Damn, I bought a pumpkin a few weeks ago to carve into a cacolantern, but it molded before I got around to it. :(

Planky said:
Fixed that for you.

What? Most of the branches of Christianity that celebrate that holiday do so in winter an take advantage of previously existing (solstice related) rites, including now all the sects that stemmed out of traditional Catholicism, although those naturally had no hand in creating or adapting the holiday, unless you consider how they modified it further (such as adding stereotypical pagan elements to its main styles).

Dr. Zin said:

Hopefully you weren't talking on it at the time.

I wasn't. I took it out of my pocket to wrestle some kid and when I turned around someone was using the table I had put it on as a chamber pot :X

Zack said:

Homestarrunner.com, which is ripe for viewing once every year or two now, has their latest latest Halloween cartoon up. Pom Pom is dressed as a Cacodemon.

Wow, that almost made homestarrunner.com cool. ALMOST.

Csonicgo said:

Have you visited lately?

Stopped paying attention when all the emails began losing their plots and were more about sight gags.

Zack said:

Pom Pom is dressed as a Cacodemon.

LOL that was a good caco costume. cartoon was kinda funy to.

Richo Rosai said:

And in Osaka, I think foreigners have a tradition of crowding onto a train that loops and having a party, disturbing everyone who's just trying to travel. I also hate foreigners.

I don't seem to remember that when I lived there (in Makino/Hirakatashi, just outside of Osaka). What I do remember is that some of the foreign students at Kansai Gaidai attempted to dress up, but there were so few who did that they looked silly. I think I just played Doom that night.

Tonight I'm working. Get to do the 2-10pm shift. There was a Halloween Seminar for Aikido up in Boulder over the weekend that I didn't get to, but if I did, that would have been the extent of my Halloween celebrating.

HumanBones said:

I'm going to a Van Halen concert. If I stay home and give out candy, I'll scare the kids away even without a costume :(

It's true

I have already done my halloweeny things (halloween party saturday, minus the bear costume in ice-like garb on friday), and since I live alone in an apartment I'm not obligated to be available to give candy out, which is convenient.

And to anyone who didn't dress up but still attended an affair that would expect it, for shame!

I like how for everyone between the ages of like, 17 and 30, Halloween is actually the Saturday before October 31, and October 31 is just another stupid day.

For example, the amount of times I heard on Monday, "Man, I got so hammered on Halloween," even though Monday was 2 full days before October 31.

Well, tonight is the night of Satan, according to some... so I guess I'll play Doom.

the day of satan was april 30th.

anyway, I'm not giving out candy, I'm actually attending a costume party. Fwee.

Just as Christmas is in honor of winter's solstice (the start of the sun's waxing, i.e, the start of the year), Halloween is for autumn's equinox (harvest time).

They don't make much sense in the southern hemisphere, where their opposites occur (the year's noon, and the spring sowing period).

myk said:

Just as Christmas is in honor of winter's solstice (the start of the sun's waxing, i.e, the start of the year), Halloween is for autumn's equinox (harvest time).

wikipedia said:
Some modern Halloween traditions developed out of older pagan traditions, especially surrounding the Irish holiday Samhain, a day associated both with the harvest and otherworldly spirits....
The modern holiday of Halloween has its origins in the ancient Gaelic festival known as Samhain

This might indicate that Samhain has it's roots in the Gaelic hunters society.

Coldfusio said:

Samhain

Coincidentally, when I was on the Heathrow Express yesterday, one of the bits of trivia supplied on the info screen was that the word for fear of Hallowe'en was samhainophobia.

exp(x) said:

Damn, I bought a pumpkin a few weeks ago to carve into a cacolantern, but it molded before I got around to it. :(

Heh, I wrote "SPISPOPD" on my pumpkin. I was gonna put more work into it but I was busy at the time.