Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Un-named Doom64 TC map in progress (Help!)

I have a very weird bug on all maps that i create all of the sudden (for Doom 64)

It appears that when i increase or decrease lightning in a sector only the walls lightning changes in-game and the floor/ceiling lightning remains the same! This means i can't increase or decrease lightning!

If anybody knows anything that could help tell my plece! There is no way i will map if i can't change the lightning!

EDIT: Here is a screen of what i mean:

EDIT: WTF! The bug also appears on my labtop now!

oh! Comon! Nobody knows anything? This situation really sucks!
I mean think of a Doom level with only one kind of brightnes....YUK!

Try redrawing the sectors to fix the problem. Or try drawing them in a different way than you are currently doing it. You might have some strange bleeding (when sectors aren't closed properly) going on.

TheCupboard said:

Try redrawing the sectors to fix the problem. Or try drawing them in a different way than you are currently doing it. You might have some strange bleeding (when sectors aren't closed properly) going on.

nope, even if the level only has 2 sectors (like in the shot above) the lightning is still messed up.

I'd suggest trying to contact the team who made Doom64: Absolution and ask if they encountered such a problem or have any advice for you.

But that should be pretty obvious, and otherwise I can' think of anything sorry.

BoldEnglishman said:

I'd suggest trying to contact the team who made Doom64: Absolution and ask if they encountered such a problem or have any advice for you.

But that should be pretty obvious, and otherwise I can' think of anything sorry.

I am not really sure if this is Doom 64 TC's to blame. I tried to make make another map with Doom builder for Doom 64 TC on my labtop but the same thing just happened. I have also tried to re-install both Doom builder and Doom 64 TC with no results. I have made a map for Doom 64 with Doom builder before and it worked fine. But i wander if i was using a older version.

Does anybody know where i can download Doom builder 1.66 ?

I am using Doom builder 1.68 right now and i think that might be the problem.

It's happening because you're using one of Doom 64's fullbright floor textures. I don't have D64 currently installed, but if I remember correctly, they were all lumped up in the same area and were marked by a character at the beginning of the texture name.

I'm pretty sure they were all towards the bottom of the list. Just scroll up until you find that texture again higher up in the list, it should be the normal one.

Nuxius said:

It's happening because you're using one of Doom 64's fullbright floor textures. I don't have D64 currently installed, but if I remember correctly, they were all lumped up in the same area and were marked by a character at the beginning of the texture name.

I'm pretty sure they were all towards the bottom of the list. Just scroll up until you find that texture again higher up in the list, it should be the normal one.

No, the problem exists no matter what textures i use.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

A good idea would be to use only textures marked "FTILExxx", which as far as I know don't have any special jDoom Lights attached. If you still see that that doesn't work, make sure all one-sided lines are facing inside your sector (press F while it's selected in Lines mode to flip it to the right direction); make sure all two-sided lines reference the right sector on the right side; and then, try running GLBSP on it manually. You can set it as an external nodebuilder for Doom Builder.

@Nuxius : They were all the flats that were not FTILExxx, IIRC.

EDIT: Hardcore_gamer: Would you care sending me this WAD at venomstryker@gmail.com ? I'm curious.

Custom levels are not really supported by the TC because of the damn engine it relies on.

Though the new Doom64 mod that I am working on will fully support custom levels and offer more flexible options as well.

Kaiser said:

Custom levels are not really supported by the TC because of the damn engine it relies on.

Though the new Doom64 mod that I am working on will fully support custom levels and offer more flexible options as well.

Thats great to hear:)

And Fisk i can send you the wad, but later i am away from home right now.

Do tell us more.

Now I am afraid to.. heh.

The new 'TC' is called Doom64: Revival which will be a complete standalone game and not a TC, so you won't need Doom2 to play because D64 Revival will be its own iwad.

The engine is based off of the Doom3D source port which makes use of DirectX and modifying the rendering code is flexible enough to be modified to whatever I want.
I've started working on this mod at the beginning of October and its already making good progress. All the features that the oringinal Doom64 game had will be in this mod and unlike the TC, it will be done right this time.

Custom palette support per sprite/texture, textures applied to flats, textured automap, macros, and other stuff will be implemented (most of them are already done).
The map format will be based on the Hexen format to support thing Z coords and thing TIDs as well as additional arguments for linedefs.

Because Doom3D is a pretty old source port that hasn't been updated in a while, it needs some minor updates like.. eh 32bit color support.. since it only supports 16bits.
The code structure for rendering is very simple and easy to modify and is why I chose Doom3D as my source port for recreating Doom64 again.

Also got some screenshots to show what exactly I've been working on:

(Initial Test)Internal palettes for sprites
Early test of vertex coloring on linedefs
Early implementation of textures with imbedded palettes
Early test of sprites
Hardcoded light test
Multisector light test
Custom sky test (can be customized by the mapper)
Subsector layers (This is used on the moving water/blood/nukage effects in the oringinal Doom64)
Runtime light editor for ceiling, floor, sprite, and top and lower portions of the wall vertices
Dynamic Fire Sky

The mod will use compression to reduce the iwad size and the goal for the music is to load USF files directly into the game instead of having to use mp3s.

What you have shown so far looks really great, Doom 64 TC was the best TC ever and what you are working on right there is full of pure awsomenes! Thanks for bringing more pure high quality Doom stuff to the community! :)

And by the way, some of those screens are taken from E1M1. Will the Mod/TC support a Doom to Doom64 or something? Just asking.

Haha hijacked thread! Looks awesome kaiser! Have you thought of any way to create the faux 3d moving clouds from the n64?

Looks very interesting kaiser, will you be opening the source when sufficent progress has been made? I might be interested in borrowing some of that for the updated Doom64TC I've been working on for a while now (which is now a Doomsday 1.9.0 plugin).

hardcore_gamer said:

And by the way, some of those screens are taken from E1M1. Will the Mod/TC support a Doom to Doom64 or something? Just asking.

Nah, all the original Doom stuff are just placeholders. There's no plan to do a Doom to D64 translation..

iori said:

Haha hijacked thread! Looks awesome kaiser! Have you thought of any way to create the faux 3d moving clouds from the n64?

Yeah I know how its done, but I am having a bit of a problem trying to recreate that in the mod. The clouds btw, is actually a 2D image, not 3D. The texture is transformed in a way where the top half of the texture appears more streched and when you turn the player's view, the texture's UV coords are rotated as well, which gives off its 3D appearence. I got everything but the UV transforms to work :\

DaniJ said:

Looks very interesting kaiser, will you be opening the source when sufficent progress has been made? I might be interested in borrowing some of that for the updated Doom64TC I've been working on for a while now (which is now a Doomsday 1.9.0 plugin).

Yeah I have plans to do so, but only through PMs and emails until the mod is fully playable/functional.

iori said:

Haha hijacked thread!

The thread was kind of dead before kaiser showed of his mod, and i am just happy that my Doom 64 Tc mapping won't end up dead. So i have no complaints :)

By the way, how far has the mod progressed? Will there be any releases before the the mod is 100% complete?

And while i know it is hard to guess about something like this, i would still like to ask about it anyway: When do you think think the mod will be ready? In the next 6 months?

Sorry for being a little over-eager i am just exited to get my hands on this thing as i really like a number of things about Doom 64 like the colored lighting and stuff. Anyway i better shut up before i drive you insane. :)

Keep up the good work.

Not sure. I already got all the assets from D64, some from the TC and most of the assets are accurately re-ripped from the rom's iwad this time and not through some cheesy texture dumper.

The levels are getting re-done and will not be using the TC levels because they are inaccurate. I already got all the levels extracted from the rom so there won't be much left to do other than to code in all the little features and other detail.

I would say 6 months like you said. But remember that there will always be something that would serve as a blocker for the mod's progression and will take some time to get it working/fixed etc.

Also, real life(tm) will have an effect on the mod's progression as well :P

Well i am sure it will be worth the wait :)

Well i am tired. I am going to bed now........

ps. Is it just my, or do all of my replys start with the word "Well"?

I'm curious: You've managed to rip the original data from the rom(s) so you must have a good idea of its structure etc. Why not use the original resources direct from the rom (with any transforms necessary for your engine done at runtime)?

You know, my email address is always willing to accept Doom64 related stuff =)

The textures and maps are the only things that is preventing me from loading the data directly from the rom itself because they both use some unique compression algorithm, while the rest of the data uses the JaguarDoom compression, which I am familiar with.

If someone was able to debug the rom and figure out just how Doom64 uses this second compression to decompress the levels and textures, I can just get the mod to load the rom instead of an iwad. Also I have no freaking clue how audio/music works in N64.

Getting the textures and maps extracted involves me using save states during in the middle of level loading :\

Ah, I see. I really wish I had the time to help as this sounds like an interesting problem.

My first thoughts would be to compile an emulator such as Project64 to use to step through the loading process to get an idea of what is going on.

That would be nice, but I wouldn't know where to start.
Nemu64 has a debugger as well, but I don't know any assembly.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I know a bit of Assembly. Perhaps I can help?

I've just checked out Nemu64, it does indeed have a very good set of built-in debugging tools. I might have a poke around at some point.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Crazy Idea: Did this "cheesy texture dumper" come with source?

Fisk said:

Crazy Idea: Did this "cheesy texture dumper" come with source?

No, like with all plugins for N64 emulators.