Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SYS

Finding textures that go together well

I feel clueless sometimes when I'm texturing. I can texture up Hellish themed maps quite well. But when it comes coordinating Tek/UAC base styled maps I'm not so good. I'll look at my texturing and just get frustrated.

I was wondering if there is perchance a fabled comprehensive list of stock Iwad Doom 1 & 2 matching textures list. I also realize that people have different perceptions of what works and what doesn't. But I was hoping for something general that most people would agree on.

The best thing to do is to play a level you feel is good in the texturing department, and see what the author used.

I usually stick to textures with certain colors atm I'm using alot of stone4 with metal2/7 so my map will have alot of gray and the dark metal color and besides those I use smaller numbers of blue and brown textures so it doesn't get too boring.

I pick two or more textures that are present troughout the whole map and those are used the most its what I like to do I don't really like to see an completely different textured room after each door.

Hope it helps its just my mapping habit though.

Do not be so fast to place REDWALLs, FLOOR6_1s, MFLR8s at the same time with UAC bases. It becomes tacky that way. Only do so when it's the time with editing, or if it's a modern, Doom2 theme.

Choose textures that look good with the general light level you're planning throughout the level. Bright textures normally don't look so good in dark indoor rooms, but darker ones usually do. Computer panels and such are often best used sparingly (like having a "window" sector for a computer screen on a wall, as opposed to plastering an entire wall with computer textures). Find a few textures that work together to get a coherent theme throughout the map.

(For instance, a tech-themed level I'm working on is based on SLADWALL, METAL, SUPPORT3, FLOOR4_5 and FLOOR4_8. This works pretty good for a slightly dark tech base, IMO).

That's pretty much how I work with my similar-themed level. :)

dutch devil said:

I usually stick to textures with certain colors

I do the same, and my non-hellish levels use a lot of METAL, GRAY, STONE, usually some WOOD.

For flats, most anything named CEIL, FLOOR, or FLAT is O.K, but some (like FLAT14) you want to be careful about putting in your wad.

Personally, I either go for hellish, techno, or present day categories for my levels. Hellish are the most fun though...

texturing shouldn't be so rough. unless you're colourblind then you should be able to see what looks good with what.

the problem comes more with flats when faced with the limitations of Doom(2)'s resources. want a flat that'll look good on top of a CEMENT or TEKGREN? ha, tough! ditto for things like the SKIN or WOOD textures (there's some wood flats but not enough).

this is why the Zdoom option to merge such things is a godsend (well supposedly anyways, i never used it).

Theming I often see done wrong. Brick and skin do not mix. Red hell rock and silver metal do not mix. For the rest it's a matter of choosing colors that match, while creating some contrast. The latter is especially important for brick and cement themes, as the dull beige and gray really need to be broken up or complemented to keep the map from turning into one garish blob.

sExl!! *jumps for joy*

and yeah, what he said. don't try to match colours too closely on surfaces of varying height in the same area (ie steps). players shouldn't have to get right up close to them to realise that's what they are and that it's not a solid brown wall.

Using Doom Builder, save then select random blocks of lines/sectors and change the graphics somewhat randomly to something that might potentially look good. Then walk around in the map and see which changes end up looking the best. Then use Doom Builder's find/replace feature to easily change textures in mass to what you desire instead of tediously clicking on sector after sector.

Also, while doing this, it's good to do the opposite approach as well.

Find textures of different themes that together make your eyes vomit. From that information, find textures that would actually make those opposing textures work together. There's your transition textures, just in case you would need them. it's better to find a way to make opposing themes work together in some way in case you need to make a transition quickly in one small room for effect...than have them clash and make people want to hit you with blunt objects.

Then there is transition texturing within a certain theme as well. Colors mostly. Suspended in Dusk is a good example on how to do this.

Then there's the realistic approach. Skin textures and red Brick were cool in hell Keep and hell keep ONLY. Please, do not put these together. also, don't use gargoyle-lion-whatever switches in a tech map, unless it opens up a hellish area. don't use wood either with tech- tech maps and wood is like oil and water in certain situations and tbh I hated when id used that texturing in ultimate doom sometimes. Thank you so much, Sandy Petersen.

Also: if there's a texture in another theme that you think would fit, just try it! I've seen mappers use the "TVs" in the dooms boss textures for making TVs on desks, screens for walls, and other things. Using little parts of textures for a certain quality is also quite creative, and maps that use that approach stand out to me.

Appreciative of all the ideas and suggestions. This will be most helpful on my current project. I'm thinking I should also take some time to get accustomed to using doombuilder exclusively.

As crazy as it sounds I still use wad author for 2d work. Then I load up Doom Builder and get to work on the 3d stuff. I jump back and forth between the two while mapping all the time.