Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Chaos Is Not Dead, Only Postponed

As the title says, the Hexen: Edge of Chaos website updated about two weeks ago proclaiming that they're not dead, and that despite their best efforts, they won't be making a release of the mod for the year 2007. However, they expect the release of their new website including a lot of fancy media and an actual release date for the mod to come sometime during this winter.

Their work so far has been very impressive, and I must say their level design is unlike anything I've seen done in Doom 3 (good thing).

I fear this is one of those mods that has impressive potential but fails to deliver more than a texture/model pack for future developing enthusiasts. I hope this is not the case because I would very much like to see what this team has to offer. Now if they could just get a proofreader for their website text they would be one step closer to making me feel better. Nothing ruins excitement for me quicker than bad grammar because I feel it will leak over into the game itself.

"The truck have started to move" -- Metal Gear [NES] (You have to love those translators back in the day.)

That's cool. The team forgot to mention Korax on the story (they talk about D'Sparil, Eidolon, the horsemen, but not the second Serpent Rider).

Ectoplasm said:

I fear this is one of those mods that has impressive potential but fails to deliver more than a texture/model pack for future developing enthusiasts.

And what would you base that assumption off of exactly?

kristus said:

And what would you base that assumption off of exactly?

Seeing their full focus being put onto the website and promotion materials spells doom

Actually, they were supposed to replace their website over a year ago, but they decided to wait with that and work n the mod instead.

And it's also fairly common that teams update their website when they are about to release the final product.

EDIT, they made another update. Talking about a possible December 2008 release date.

Vegeta said:

That's cool. The team forgot to mention Korax on the story (they talk about D'Sparil, Eidolon, the horsemen, but not the second Serpent Rider).

That's a damn fine point. How could they forget Korax? This just doesn't sit well for me. (. . . pulls out his Icon of the Defender and walks into a room full of angry disappointment.)

I'm the programmer on the project. You'll have to forgive BloodRayne (our leader and website maintainer), his native language is Dutch. I'll let him know there were some goofs on the site.

There's no way we're going to do anything less than everything we said we would. all the problems that have been setting us back have been examined and solutions have been put in place.

As for the story, the new website we're working on has a crapload more information about the story. We've been reluctant to over-pimp our stuff, but you're going to see a lot more relatively soon.

Development gets slow sometimes, but it certainly never stops. every week something gets done.

Oh and, postponed? I don't know where you got that from, but the mod has never been Postponed. ever.

Ectoplasm said:

I fear this is one of those mods that has impressive potential but fails to deliver more than a texture/model pack for future developing enthusiasts. I hope this is not the case because I would very much like to see what this team has to offer. Now if they could just get a proofreader for their website text they would be one step closer to making me feel better. Nothing ruins excitement for me quicker than bad grammar because I feel it will leak over into the game itself.

Thank you for the observation. :)

I'll make sure to pass on any new webtext to our writer Spookt, who has joined the team recently to (re)write all the journals and information in the game, because indeed I am like Zeroth pointed out from Holland.

Luckily we already came a lot further than the worst case scenario you have sketched out in the last three years that we've worked on the project. If we had spent all that time and effort into our website then we'd have one hell of a website to show for it. As it is right now, it's like you pointed out.. not very good. But the continuing flow of fansupport and encouragement over e-mail won't allow us to have such a poor website for long. It's time to start giving something back in return, a new website and some new features for the website will go a long way in providing a nice place for the community to enjoy Hexen.

Our motto has stayed the same over the last three years, we'll keep plugging away at it, till it's done.

As a little side information about the game,
Korax was not forgotten, in fact a big part of his legacy plays an important role in Hexen:Edge of Chaos, as the story is set about 50 years after the storyline of Hexen 1.

That's great news indeed. Your professionalism has satisfied me. You truly sound passionate about this project and that speaks volumes.

Ectoplasm said:

That's great news indeed. Your professionalism has satisfied me. You truly sound passionate about this project and that speaks volumes.

Thanks!

We've updated the website, archived the old newsitems and updated the other pages to include Korax as well, just to keep it comple. :)