Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fennel_Rye

Deleting Sectors Problem

Hey guys....noob here, just warning you. I have Doom Builder and cannot figure out how to delete sectors. Whenever I try to, the sector outline remains and in the game it appears as there the same height as the ceiling of it's parent sector. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer. I really appreciate the help....thanks.

You are deleting the sectors. I assume you are trying to remove sectors within other sectors. In this case you need to merge them. Select the sector you want to stay first, and then select the sector you want to merge into it. Press the "Merge Sectors" button in the upper right corner of the toolbar.

I'm not sure what result you want to achieve here, but there are several ways to delete a sector, which give you different results;

1) Like Zin mentioned: you can select both sectors and Merge them. They will both become 1 sector and the final sector will have the properties of the sector which you selected first.

2) In sectors mode, highlight or select the sector you want to delete and press DELETE. The sector will be removed and will leave a void gap in the map (pillar?). The sides on the lines of that sector will be removed.

3) In lines mode, remove all lines that make up the sector. This is only recommended for sectors which are entirely enclosed in one and the same parent sector. In this case the sector will be gone as well as its lines and only the parent sector remains. This is essentially the same as method #1.

4) Select the parent sector first, then the sector to be 'deleted' and click the Join button on the toolbar which joins both sectors together. The final sector will have the properties of the sector you selected first and the lines will remain (with all sides referring to the same sector). I don't think this method is useful to you though, it might be a bit confusing and unnecessary.

What you are doing when you delete a sector is not making it as tall as its parent sector, but making a pillar-type thing in it instead. What I assume you want to do is just remove the sector altogether, linedefs and all. In that case, I would go with the method of merging sectors. Dr. Zin already explained that.

If you just select a sector and hit delete, this is a very useful way of making pillars, buildings, and other structures inside sectors which you can then build more sectors inside.

To keep it simple, when you delete the sector you do not delete the lines, they are on there own, you have to delete them under line mode. Otherwise the textures and the lines will stay.