Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathz0r

The /newstuff Chronicles #310

If you guys are really that short on people, I could try writing at least a couple map reviews, maybe not an entire /newstuff.

I think Soldiers of Fortune was the first game to come up with that train level. I think bullet train was the first convincing train ride in doom and that was made by cyb. Runaway train by Enjay was the second one. I think Enjay was inspired by cyb level and sof.

Yeah, Blood was the first FPS with a working train level.

Coldfusio said:
I think Soldiers of Fortune was the first game to come up with that train level.

In what sense? That's a game from '93 and not an FPS, as far as I can tell. I recall Bucket uploaded a run of his of Double Dragon II and it had a section that occurred in a train, and that game is from '88.

I don't get what all this bitching is about Newstuff needing to be updated every week or 2 weeks. People, if you haven't noticed the quality of maps have started to DECLINE. The reason your only getting newstuff once a month is because theres only a few good maps that are reviewed per month. If Deathz0r started to review every week it would cause once again more flamewars about how the newstuff either A). sucks B). Deathz0r sucks or C). Doomworld sucks. Volunteer all you want, but the way its going right now is the only way to keep the masses in the community happy for at least once a month instead of making us want to shoot ourselves for playing that god awful rendition of Map01 with a new pallette and midi.

Bloodskull said:
the quality of maps

Quality, or quantity? It's true there's garbage here and there, but then there are good releases as well. If you meant quantity there's no doubt it has indeed decreased, and I agree that given the number of releases, a monthly instead of weekly issue or so doesn't really hurt.

Bloodskull said:

I don't get what all this bitching is about Newstuff needing to be updated every week or 2 weeks. People, if you haven't noticed the quality of maps have started to DECLINE. The reason your only getting newstuff once a month is because theres only a few good maps that are reviewed per month. If Deathz0r started to review every week it would cause once again more flamewars about how the newstuff either A). sucks B). Deathz0r sucks or C). Doomworld sucks. Volunteer all you want, but the way its going right now is the only way to keep the masses in the community happy for at least once a month instead of making us want to shoot ourselves for playing that god awful rendition of Map01 with a new pallette and midi.

Couldn't agree more, a monthly installment works far better and seems like a full enough and worthwhile enough edition, a farcry from what weekly ones potentially would.

I was thinking of Sof from ravensoftware which came out in 2000.
However I remember now the train ride from blood.

WP agrees that Blood was the first FPS with a train level. Goldeneye 007 is almost definitely the second btw (I actually went to WP to make sure it wasn't the first :P)

Depending on how hard you are on your definitons of an FPS.

Midwinter 2 had trains that you could "drive" (back and forth, Booyaka) already at 1990. The game were of course not any run of the mill FPS (Unlike Golden Eye it was really a spy game, A'la James Bond), as it didn't have levels as much as an entire open game world where you could do pretty much as you pleased (for instance, everything was destructable). It was also full 3d. :O (Eat that Quake... and Descent)

GGG said:

Maybe I should start playing DM again.

Yes! You should! Does the third G in your name stand for guys?

Wow, Wonderful Doom has been excellent for the first two episodes... if it were more difficult, it would feel like a second quest akin to the first Zelda game. It has some quirks (the e2m6 false exit's blue door requires the yellow key, and the one deathz0r mentioned) but oh well, even the original wasn't perfect. Great stuff.

Wait till you get to E4. Some of the coolest UDoom maps I've played, IMO rivaled only by The Classic Episodes.

Agreed; perfect in every sense, apart from two retarded secrets (in E4M4 and E4M6). Playing through WD is like playing Ultimate Doom, only ... you're not. :-) Serious, and well-done, deja vu. Experiencing everything for the first time, again! Very well done.

Oh, and there *is* a BFG in E3M3. :-)

Yeah... I actually found it by accident rather quickly. Ep3 was nice, especially getting to play levels like Limbo again without knowing all of the shortcuts already.

I've said this time and time again, but here goes, again: it would be really neat if the highlight pic for TNC indicated either by hyperlink or caption or whatever which PWAD it was from.

Bitchfest and spazzing about the reviewer aside:

1024-4 - splendid action packed set of 1024 maps and well challenged for a solo player.

Epic - Holy shit. What a wad. The best example of a train level done in Doom ever. Lush remnants of ancient civilizations with excellent use of vegetation. Great layouts with minimalist but effectively utilized detail apporach. A great example of what something epic should be. Not loaded with pointless slopes, particle fountains, scripting, crappy voice overs, 50 fireball mega monsters, overdetailz0rs, and horrendous mp3 music.

Another Bloody Chapter - Great map overall, excellent hell theme. Only complaint was the release of the Hell knights at the end. Easy to just run past them all, smoke the archie and exit. Teleporting them all in at the area in the beginning would've been more effective I felt.

Edenloss - The mixture of themes & monsters and atmosphere brought out a unique and rewarding play experience. I absolutely loathed the dynamite, it was more effective at killing the player then dispatching any foes. Aside from maybe a patch of zombies in a real open area.

Techbas1 - Great execution, but felt it went cheap in the health dept. Sure there was a berserker pack, but I couldn't get at it when I needed it.

Might be off-topic, but thanks deathz0r for reviewing mine & Varun's maps!

I had the chance to check out only a few of the levels in this /newstuff edition so far. The 1024 levels were good, epic and edenloss did well at creating an experience different from the standard Doom stuff.

Going to play Paul's Another Bloody Chapter and Techbase now, and probably will have a look at Wonderful Doom over the weekend :)

enjoying wonderful doom. But it's too easy!! Some of the carbon copy or near carbon copy sectors are kind of wish they were new--but the twists on old areas is nice! E2M4 ending had the same effect of "cool ending!" as the original! And that was one of my fondest memories from Doom. Maybe even more so.

Just famous.

Hellbent said:
But it's too easy!!

Could be. I felt some sections were easier than the originals, but it's hard to judge, as I doubt I was playing them in the same fashion I play the originals nowadays (less caution, generally). Other sections may have been harder (especially in the later episodes), so perhaps overall it's balanced, relatively speaking.

The set will fit well with Eternal's DOOM II remake, once that is finished.