Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John Smith

PrBoom OS X Launcher

Right, maybe I'm blind and stupid, but I can't find the source to the launcher used with PrBoom/PrBoom+ in OS X (or an XCode project file, but who cares about that). Can anyone sortof point me in the right direction?

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with mac, but if the mac version is anything like the linux version there's no launcher.So you wold have to use the command line to launch it.You can do everything you can with the launcher via the command line

John Smith said:

Right, maybe I'm blind and stupid, but I can't find the source to the launcher used with PrBoom/PrBoom+ in OS X (or an XCode project file, but who cares about that). Can anyone sortof point me in the right direction?

./src/MAC

By the way, shouldn't launcher_enable 0 disable it and make PrBoom+ (v2.4.8.2) just load the IWADs in the usual order from the corresponding directories?

I'm asking because the smelly thing comes up if I load the engine without a specified IWAD and that setting (0). Am I missing something?

I have not understood a question. Without launcher (launcher_enable 0) prboom should search IWAD in normal way:

1) prboom+ searches for iwad which is specified in a command line by means of -iwad switch in the following places: doomexedir, currentdir, %DOOMWADDIR%

2) prboom+ searches for doom2f.wad in doomexedir, currentdir, %DOOMWADDIR%

3) The same for doom2.wad, plutonia.wad, tnt.wad, doom.wad, doom1.wad, doomu.wad and freedoom.wad

It wasn't doing that, but curiously now it worked as you described. But then I renamed DOOM2.WAD to something else (DOOM2.WA_) and launched the executable, with only DOOM.WAD (v1.9, not The Ultimate DOOM) in the DOOMWADDIR, and instead of loading DOOM, the launcher popped up. I think this was the cause last time as well (I believe I had temporarily renamed the DOOM II wad).

So now I'm guessing it doesn't accept DOOM v1.9 unless it's specified through the command line...

The launcher will not appear never if "launcher_enable" is 0 and SHIFT key is not pressed. Also, if you specified correct iwad by means of "-iwad" or any pwad or you have "-auto" in command line, then the launcher will not appear too even if "launcher_enable"is 1.

If you can read code:

static boolean L_LauncherIsNeeded(void)
{
  int i;
  boolean pwad = false;
  char *iwad = NULL;

if (!launcher_enable && !GetAsyncKeyState(VK_SHIFT))
    return false;

i = M_CheckParm("-iwad");
  if (i && (++i < myargc))
    iwad = I_FindFile(myargv[i], ".wad");

for (i=0; !pwad && i < (int)numwadfiles; i++)
    pwad = wadfiles[i].src == source_pwad;

return (!iwad && !pwad && !M_CheckParm("-auto"));
}
"!" means NOT
"&&" means AND

myk said:

So now I'm guessing it doesn't accept DOOM v1.9 unless it's specified through the command line...

When I make it so the only iwad it finds is doom.wad (that's the way I normally launch Ultimate Doom stuff - just have it in a separate directory, with no %doomwaddir% defined), it works fine - it simply loads it, with no launcher popping up.

You've definitely got the launcher disabled? The behaviour with the launcher enabled is that it pops up if no wads of any sort are given in the command line - which sounds a bit like what you're describing.

Grazza said:

You've definitely got the launcher disabled?

Only SHIFT key can force prboom to show the launcher if "launcher_enable 0"

Yeah, I'm sure it's disabled.

I renamed DOOM's wad and placed The Ultimate DOOM's in the DOOMWADDIR and it did the same thing. The launcher was coming up but it's all empty (but on the pull-downs the DOOM option is available). After that I removed that The Ultimate DOOM and renamed the two IWADs, and launched PrBoom+. The launcher came up, but it wasn't empty, showing the current files, and the available options (DOOM II currently selected). I bet that if I reboot, it will launch DOOM II right away untill I mess with stuff as described.

Maybe it has something to do with the OS, as I'm using Windows 98?

EDIT: I can confirm that on rebooting it just launches the game off the bat. But I noticed something. I had the renamed DOOM2.WA_ when I did this, and DOOM v1.9 was launched. When I renamed DOOM II's wad and executed PrBoom+, the launcher came up. So it's expecting the IWAD it had used the last time, and if you make changes (remove or add available IWADs), it asks with the launcher. This history or memory depends on the system's current uptime and is erased with a reboot.

myk said:

Yeah, I'm sure it's disabled.
[...]
The launcher was coming up

heh, it is impossible! if you do not hold SHIFT during start

Try doing what I did; renaming (or removing) or adding IWADs after launching it with a certain set. Change DOOM II's especially, as it's the first one it looks for.

Sorry, I have not understood. Please, give me stepbystep instructions with comments what you get and what you want to get instead of

1. extracting prboom-plus-2.4.8.2-win32.zip to c:\prboom_test
2. putting doom2.wad to c:\prboom_test
3. putting doom.wad to DOOMWADDIR (c:\prboom_test\wads)
etc

I don't have any IWADs in PrBoom's directory (D:\DOOM\8\exec\PrBoom+), and instead they are both in the DOOMWADDIR (D:\DOOM).

This is more or less what I did (or had):

01. Put DOOM and DOOM II IWADs in DOOMWADDIR
02. Execute PrBoom+ (starts DOOM II)
03. Rename or remove DOOM II's wad
04. Execute PrBoom+ (brings up launcher)
05. Restart Windows
06. Execute PrBoom+ (starts DOOM)
07. Properly name or add DOOM II's wad
08. Execute PrBoom+ (brings up launcher)
09. Restart Windows
10. Execute PrBoom+ (starts DOOM II)

entryway said:
Try it

It says: The D:\DESKTOP\PRBOOM-PLUS-2.4.8.3.TEST-WIN32\PRBOOM-PLUS.EXE file expects a newer version of Windows.
Upgrade your Windows version.
(and also that a device is not functioning, in another message box).

ZDoom IMO also has this bug.

Yes, I seem to recall ZDoom's launcher popping up when disabled.

entryway said:
Try this vs2005 version

Yeah, that works fine; no launcher where it shouldn't be.