Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
40oz

Map Editing Competition

How about a competition in which contestants attempt to make the best 1024x1024 map using only a certain texture resource wad? No textures from the IWAD can be used, only the textures and flats from the texture resource, and every single texture must be used at least once, and it must be visible somewhere.

We could make the competition difficult by giving out texture wads with multiple themes, or textures that don't roll together very well. We can see if mappers can incorporate each texture into the map effectively. Maybe around the Holiday Season, we could make a winter themed texture resource for added fun.

Sounds good?

This is a pretty cool idea. Would somebody make a new texture pack for it or would we just use a composite of already-existent textures? I'm just curious.

In any case, if this takes off then I'd be happy to participate. :)

Sounds interesting, it would be cool to see who can do what with crappy textures (and not complain about it)

dutch devil said:

How about an 1024x1024 megawad.

All with the same textures? A little boring wouldn't it be?

Heh I got the idea while editing with Heretic, which is near impossible to create something original with the predefined texture set. However I was unable to effectively use those blue tile mosaic textures that looked good in a Heretic map. I'm sure I'll through that texture in a wad. I'll probably rip a bunch of textures from various wads, mold em together into one texture package and ship it out for everyone who wants to compete to make maps with.

Letting each mapper choose his own resources would probably result in a ridiculously bloated WAD.

Yeah at first I thought you were anonymously implying that this would be exactly like congestion 1024.

The difficulty in the competition is being forced to have to use only the textures provided to you. As it's apparent that most people can make pretty good maps using custom textures they selected for themselves, how about having to make maps that someone else had picked for you?

I don't think that it will bloat the wad too much besides the maps are not big enough to use an large amount of different textures.

But maybe an recource wad will be good but most of the time I want to work with textures I like and they are never inside an recource wad and during the process of building an map I keep changing textures as I go why because the map itself keeps changing and I get new ideas along the way.

@ Stealthy yeah I know about the project it would be cool if there was an sequel to it 1024 sized maps are fun and shouldn't take people very long to make one.

dutch devil said:

@ Stealthy yeah I know about the project it would be cool if there was an sequel to it 1024 sized maps are fun and shouldn't take people very long to make one.

I could try and find the old team mates from the original so we had more poeople since I was part of it, a sequel would be cool! They should have stuck with the original map 30 on that project also, it would have been much better at the end.

Why not get rid of the size limit and just do a competition with textures? It seems like the interesting and novel thing here is the idea of forced texture usage, and to further limit things like map size is unnecessary.

Perhaps you could ask the 32in24 guys to consider doing this next time?

I just thought the 1024x1024 thing would be a good idea because theyre popular and don't take very long to finish. But yeah you could scratch that if necessary.

dutch devil said:

But maybe an recource wad will be good but most of the time I want to work with textures I like and they are never inside an recource wad and during the process of building an map I keep changing textures as I go why because the map itself keeps changing and I get new ideas along the way.

I know it's easier for me too, I just thought this would be cool because it forces people to improvise and be innovative, instead of being so open. I admit I've been checking out your maps lately, as well as other really popular mappers such as Tormentor and AgentSpork, But it just makes me wonder if their maps would be as good if they didn't have such broad texture resources. If we narrowed it down to very little selections, we could see who can make the best map out of the really fine selection.

I'm really anxious to see what people can do with a unique texture resource that they didn't pick out themselves. I want to get working on a texture resource wad right away.

I can make an good map with any texture wad but I prefer anything that still holds some doomy look to it.

For me that has become very important lately :p