Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kibbl126

Utilities that work well with windows XP?

Well im sorry to ask questions and all i try not to and look up stuff on my own as much as i can to help not spam the forums but i could not find out anything that really worked well with my computer. Another thing i was wondering about was that i am using a collectors edition of doom. and i was wandering if that may have any affect on editors. Thanks for reading assuming you did and hope you reply soon

Take it easy,
Kibbl

Wintex, XWE for wad editing, and just about any Map editor from Wadauthor to DeepSea to Doombuilder will work on XP just fine. WHacked for DeHacked work.

Quasar said:

If you install DOSBox, you can run any old Doom utilities you want. It's very useful.

I'd like to note for the creator of the thread that there is absolutely no need to use any utility in Windows XP that requires DosBOX. Every aspect of doom modding and mapping can be done regularly in XP.

Nick Perrin said:

I'd like to note for the creator of the thread that there is absolutely no need to use any utility in Windows XP that requires DosBOX. Every aspect of doom modding and mapping can be done regularly in XP.

You sure about that? Try DCK. Try DEU. And try using any DOS doom util under XP64 or Vista/Vista64, or Mac or Linux.

leileilol said:

You sure about that? Try DCK. Try DEU.

He said any aspect, not any tool! The aspects that can be edited with these tools can be edited with DoomBuilder and Slade as well.

Are there really some old DOS tools left that can't be replaced by something more modern? I somehow doubt it.

Graf Zahl said:

Are there really some old DOS tools left that can't be replaced by something more modern? I somehow doubt it.

Well no one is surely doing anything about it. XWE still relies on external dos utils for certain conversions.

Which shouldn't be a problem unless you use 64 bit versions of Windows. DOS command line tools normally work fine, even with Windows Vista.

Graf Zahl said:
DOS command line tools normally work fine, even with Windows Vista.

You sure about that? I was under the impression that even the 32-bit versions of Vista had dropped DOS support.

Or are we talking about win32 console apps, here?

I have been using WAD author 1.30 for Mapping, XWE and Wintex for modding and am running 32 bit XP. I'v never had any problems with these programs.

CODOR said:

You sure about that? I was under the impression that even the 32-bit versions of Vista had dropped DOS support.

I believe it's only the 64-bit version that dropped 16-bit support. Even XP 64-bit did so.

Bloodshedder said:
I believe it's only the 64-bit version that dropped 16-bit support. Even XP 64-bit did so.

Out of necessity: when an AMD64 or Intel 64 chip is running a 64-bit OS there's no support for Virtual 8086 mode.

I thought Vista had dropped support for 16-bit stuff entirely, but it's good to hear it's still in the 32-bit versions. One less reason not to use it on my next computer, I suppose...