Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

id reply

Yesterday, I decided to send an email to id guys asking them two questions about the models in DOOM and the 3D Fire which could be seen in the "fire-scene" video.

I give you, Kevin Cloud with his answer (he was the only one who replied).

"Dima,

Thanks for the questions. When you say rough edges I assume you mean the sillhouette of the shape. The models you saw in the video were basically tests created for the game at that time. The art for the final game will have more polish. Actually the polycounts in DOOM a quite high. However, in the end there will be some rough edges. That's reality of working with polygons in a real time environment.

In the past most experiments with convex poly shapes for explosions has had mixed effectiveness. We'll try to remove as much sprite-like behavior for explosions. Some form of improved particle generation system may help. However, we still have a long ways to go and so it is difficult to know whether we can remove all sprite-like behavior.
thanks,
kevinc"

An id guy actually thanking you for asking a question about DOOM ? Coolness ! =)

Improved particle system ? More polished ? Sounds like a whole bag of Christmas coming early this year.

I give you, Kevin Cloud with his answer (he was the only one who replied)...

My god...they must think pretty high of this forum site to be taking extra time out of their busy schedules to be answering questions.

Kevin Cloud, you're my god!

Wow, Allthough Dima's credibility is a bit questionable. but after his last "mea culpa" I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks Dima, keep these communication lines open!

Wow, Allthough Dima's credibility is a bit questionable.

As I remember it, his sources were wrong, and that only happened once- which doesn't hurt Dima's credibility at all in my opinion.

It's great to se you again Dima. As usual you are bringing us something to keep this forum alive. It's appreciated.

My friend asked them a question before and he said they replied. Still I don't think their kindess should be raped, so be nice and don't spam.

that was nice,to hear that kevin replied the mail.
thx for bringing news as always,Dima
btw what is convex poly shapes?can anyone explain that?

I give a damn about those hard edges. The important thing is that the "inside" of the model looks perfect.

I most likely think what Dima says and what he got from Cloud is believable. For those of you who knows Paul Jaquays is also a designer at idsoftware, and he's still pretty active among games forums currently at quake3world and mapcenter. Also he's one of the moderators at Q3A(http://quake3world.com/forums) and Mapcenter(http://mapcenter.qeradiant.com/); so if KevinC really did reply, I ain't very surprised at all.

Yeah it's quite common to find id's feedback on one of those forums. But a mail? Hah, that's incredible.

id pretty much trashes all incoming mail. On the other hand, Raven pretty much replies to everything. :)

mmm kevin cloud did answered something related to leaked quakecon video(this is what make "Xian" Christian Antkow unhappy)he may did reply to Dima,if not,ok just another rumor.

Well the whole e-mail doesn't have a single spelling or grammar mistake in it, so I can pretty faithfully say Dima didn't write it :)

ummm...

Actually the polycounts in DOOM a quite high.

...maybe I'm just a picky bastard :)

Thanks for the nice replies guys!

I was pretty suprised myself when I opened my mailbox and walla! Kevid Cloud's reply was there!

The weird thing is that Christian Antkow answered on the same questions with the following:

"We are not allowed to answer any questions about DOOM at this time."

-Xian

Pretty weird eh?

Dima

Well the whole e-mail doesn't have a single spelling or grammar mistake in it, so I can pretty faithfully say Dima didn't write it :)

are you slightly saying dima can't speak or write english properly?

are you slightly saying dima can't speak or write english properly?

Oh, no...

OMG!!! A reply from id!!
/me has 18 orgasms in a row and faints
Way to go Dima. :)
YUO ARE TEH KING OF E-MAILS!!!
:)

Kevin Cloud's one of id owners. He can give us as much information as he wants. On the other hand, Xian's just doing standard mail trashing. I'm pretty sure they get 500 mails per day..