Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nick Perrin

Doctor/Scientist Sprites

Hey all.
I'm in need of some sprites, your usual doom-monster style ones (as in 8 rotations, the last 3 flipped etc.), of a doctor/scientist type guy, but a true human, not a reskin of the zombieman! I'll be doing my own bit of editing to make it unique, but I need a base to work on. Any ideas where I can find sprites for such a cause?

Thanks!

P.S. There's an update for MoUAC:Exigency if you're interested/wondering. It's been done on Wadsinprogress but the site hasn't been updated in days so it hasn't appeared yet.

The obvious source is the excellent Scientist 2.

The txt includes the statement "Authors may use the contents of this file as a base for modification or reuse."

Thanks, that set of scientist sprites works out pretty well.

While I MAY end up using those, if anyone else has any other suggestions or resources with other scientist or doctor-type graphics, please let me know! It would be greatly appreciated.

Milian's Biovite has a scientist guy although he's quite cartoony. i did create some scientist sprites of my own which are much more realistic but it was just for decoration in a DM map and so i only made the front frames.

Nick Perrin said:

....if anyone else has any other suggestions or resources with other scientist or doctor-type graphics, please let me know!

1. Do you need them to be enemies or simply scenery?
    2. What types of animation do you need them to have (i.e., walking, running, pondering, etc.)?
    3. What is your time frame?
The reason for Q3, above, is that I have created a walking/pondering scientist sprite from a model, but I intend to use it for a project I'm working on. If you can wait a few months the sprites (and all other resources) will be available with my wad release.

Perhaps you could recolor Strife's Civilians, and use the head of one of the characters that look more like scientist (rather than the standard civilian). It wouldn't be the classic scientist clothes, but it may work.

ReX said:

1. Do you need them to be enemies or simply scenery?
    2. What types of animation do you need them to have (i.e., walking, running, pondering, etc.)?
    3. What is your time frame?
The reason for Q3, above, is that I have created a walking/pondering scientist sprite from a model, but I intend to use it for a project I'm working on. If you can wait a few months the sprites (and all other resources) will be available with my wad release.

1. It's for a main character, as such must at least have walking, pain and death frames. Other animations would be awesome.

2. As I said I only NEED the main ones but having one where he is standing still and looking around would be great (instead of that hunched position all doom characters seem to be in...), and the rest of the animations will be very specific to the project so I would have to handle those.

3. Don't need it right away. If it still looks like a 3d model, though, I probably won't use it as it won't be consistent with the other sprites.

Thanks for all the help everyone! Keep those suggestions coming!

Janitor said:

i think there was one in Twilight Warrior or Covert Ops

Yeah I seem to recall that as well... I'll probably use that one for the "generic" scientist. As for the important character, I'll use either the sprites from "Scientist 2" or from:

Gez said:

Enjay's Marine Assault contains scientist sprites...

Hey, those look great! I'm putting a new head on them so no worries there. Luckily in the text file Enjay states that authors can use the resources as a base to build other things, so I'm in the clear to use those sprites, if I end up choosing them over the other ones.

Thanks everyone!

Nick Perrin said:
Luckily in the text file Enjay states that authors can use the resources as a base to build other things, so I'm in the clear to use those sprites, if I end up choosing them over the other ones.

If they were taken from some game the granting of permission (as far as the sprites go) is next to meaningless anyway, since you don't get permission to rip commercial games unless the authors of the game state otherwise.

I noticed that in the first (1 episode) release of Scientist the sprites are different than in the final one, with a white coat and darker hair. I'm not sure if they're based on preexisting sprites, though.

hey, I noticed my wads being mentioned :-).
The scientist sprites in sci.wad were based on the Former human sprites.

The new scientist in Sci2.wad however I did from scratch. You're free to use it. I've also made some more death-sequences for him if you want them.

The scientists in Marine Assault are edits of the ones from "Blake Stone".

Obviously I can't give permission on behalf of Apogee, or whoever made Blake Stone, but if you don't want to rip them yourself, then I've already done the "work" (such as it was) so you can use my rips if you like.

As far as the edit goes: I changed the heads. I made the heads on the ones in MA by shrinking down the Doom status bar face and matching the resulting pixellated mess up with the basic proportions of the Zombie guy's head - then colouring rotations to match - for my variations skin pack. (Sprites from that were also used in MA.) Then I adapted the heads for the scientist sprites. So they're not just straight rips but it sounds like the head would be changed anyway so meh! ;)

IIRC MrJ's Half Life TC has some scientists in it: He's a nice guy so I'm sure he'd let you borrow them if you ask.

[edit] Nope, I just checked: they don't have any animations, sorry.[/edit]

Nick Perrin said:

Hey, those look great! I'm putting a new head on them so no worries there. Luckily in the text file Enjay states that authors can use the resources as a base to build other things, so I'm in the clear to use those sprites, if I end up choosing them over the other ones.

Thanks everyone!

You might also want to see if you can find all of the scientist sprites for Blake Stone (Which Enjay edited to make those sprites). They had some regular walking animations, which you might want to consider using too, especially if they're gonna make an appearance before the shit hits the fan.

Craigs said:

You might also want to see if you can find all of the scientist sprites for Blake Stone (Which Enjay edited to make those sprites). They had some regular walking animations, which you might want to consider using too, especially if they're gonna make an appearance before the shit hits the fan.

No they didn't. They may have only moved at walking pace, but they still used that rather frantic looking running-like animation.

Full set can be found here
http://rapidshare.com/files/68731061/bstonegfx.zip.html

There are some scientist sprites in Lilwhitemouse's "A New Hellspawn" but i don't know if they are free

Enjay said:

No they didn't. They may have only moved at walking pace, but they still used that rather frantic looking running-like animation.

Full set can be found here
http://rapidshare.com/files/68731061/bstonegfx.zip.html

Eh, I just played the demo again, and you're right. I guess I thought they had a walking animation because if you look at them from certain angles, it would look as though they're just walking instead of running.