Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BoldEnglishman

Blood Purchasing

Does anybody know where I can legally get ahold of Blood? (you know the game by Monolith, I don't exactly want bags of real blood :P)

I mean, you can purchase games like Heretic and Hexen from id Software's official website, and download it straight to your computer, and if I can save myself time, I'd rather do this if I could.

But finding it at all would be a good sign seen as I checked the official Monolith store, which is closed, I checked amazon.co.uk and found absolutely nothing (Blood II but that isen't what I'm looking for) and now I'm going through ebay with as of yet no results :(

EDIT: God damn! I found it on ebay.com but only ships to the United States and Canada :( ... still searching...

EDIT II: OK I finally found it on Amazon.com and I probably won't see it until 2008 arrives :( I'm still looking for some sort of legal download link if anybody has one

BoldEnglishman said:

I'm still looking for some sort of legal download link if anybody has one

There is no such thing. Anyone posting a download link will be banned.

Coopersville said:
I keep hearing how it's freeware / abandonware now,

That must be the voices in your head.

If it were true, it would be a news item at the Blood home page. And remember, just because a game is not being sold, it does not mean that distributing is is legal. It's just as illegal as publishing a book that's out of print but still subject to copyrights.

It's only "abandoned" in that respect (not being sold), but it didn't "go free".

Bloodshedder said:

There is no such thing. Anyone posting a download link will be banned.

He just cited a legal download method from the id software site.

esselfortium said:

And here I thought this was going to be a thread about vampires. :(

I'm afraid you've been poned :(

Anyway, I should probably get this one of these days. I think it's the only FPS from that era I don't have. I liked the demo when I played it nearly 10 years ago, even though I never finished it. The last thing I remember is walking into a clown's mouth.

Why does the link have to be legal? If you're interested in contributing to Monolith buy a game they can actually get revenue from or send them cash in an envelope, instead of buying it from some random auctioner guy.

I finally found A CD of this game at a mom-n-pop computer store in my area. 5 dollars. that was 2 months ago, and I've never been happier blowing shit up- That's what made blood so awesome to me, the world was yours to destroy.

Zaldron said:

Why does the link have to be legal?

Some of us actually live in places where that's enforced :P

There are quite a few brand new copies of Blood available on ebay. I think I paid $10.00 for mine about three or four years ago. Came in original wrapping, manual, and assorted items relative to the day. Did anybody ever get on "Ten" and play DM? I didn't buy the game until several years after it came out so I missed out on that. It is indeed a classic. I love it right along with Doom and only wish there was some way the gaming community could aquire the release of the source code. It is IMO at least equally as scary as Doom, and its music is better (I haven't come across anything that can touch it in that respect).

It's a shame that because the community can't make ports for it, it will not have the legacy it deserves.

Zaldron said:
If you're interested in contributing to Monolith [...]

Fortunately, copyrights as far as anything we do here in the community have little to do with business. At least in any direct way. Just like we don't use a map as a base without permission, we don't link to files we have no permission to distribute or download.

I wish I could play this game again. If possible get the Blood - One Unit Whole Blood. It comes with the original plus both expansion packs.

The maps in Cryptic Passage are quite good. I especially like the opera house and graveyard.

Zaldron said:

Why does the link have to be legal? If you're interested in contributing to Monolith buy a game they can actually get revenue from or send them cash in an envelope, instead of buying it from some random auctioner guy.

Exactly, it's not like they get money from the sales of this game anymore, anyway.

caco_killer said:
Exactly, it's not like they get money from the sales of this game anymore, anyway.

The point is, you don't decide for the authors about their work with your opinions on what is good or bad for them. If the they want it freely available on the Internet (past more obscure and unreliable warez hideouts), they should get together and release it as such. If not, it's prohibited here and not any different from me taking Alien Vendetta levels and using them as a base for my wad, without obtaining the authors' permission beforehand.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I know ebay is the place to go, just unfortunately for me the first 10-15 results I found didn't ship to the UK (which, as you might be able to tell from my name, is where I currently reside).

Hmm, how long have the id Software download link's been up? I'm guessing it's quite a recent thing, and I should probably email Monolith regarding said payment-->download method (though what use that's gonna do I don't know).

myk said:

Fortunately, copyrights as far as anything we do here in the community have little to do with business. At least in any direct way. Just like we don't use a map as a base without permission, we don't link to files we have no permission to distribute or download.

I'm not posting torrent or e2k links in the forum, simply stating how futile is to attempt to somehow compensate the creator and publisher by buying this game. If he only seeks legality because of some dreadful phobia to pirate is bad mumbo-jumbo, then I'll have to agree with you, but if he intends to contribute to the creators for their good effort and talent, he's just wasting his money.

Some of us actually live in places where that's enforced :P

I'm sure he can pull it off without sounding the piracy alarm at Area 51.

Zaldron said:
If he only seeks legality because of some dreadful phobia to pirate is bad mumbo-jumbo,

In my opinion that's not the reason to avoid posting, linking, discussing or considering warez here. It's because copyright, or the rights to distribute, modify or publish works, precedes commercial considerations. They form part of the way we build interaction and respect each others' work, sharing it under the conditions each author or producer has established for what they release.

It's actually pretty important because if not business interest can hold sway copyright and works in a pretty invasive manner, which, if you ask me, is more important than if someone gets money or not.

This is an addon community, and the rules that make it work should precede here over the rules of both warez kiddies grasping software indiscriminately and entertainment makers interested mainly in gathering money.

Since the question has been answered, and this thread has become more a discussion of warez than anything else (an activity both illegal and a bannable offence here), I'm closing this. Take it elsewhere please.