Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lengis

Third party to create the multiplayer/singleplayer

From what I know about iD, they aren't the greatest when it comes to innovation. RTCW did a great job by haveing two teams, one to create the single player and one to create the multiplayer. As a result the muliplayer (from what I heard) is ubiquitously good. Id's record of makeing good multiplayer revolves around mostly deathmatch. Id's record of making good single player revolves around mostly "find the key". However their ability to create amazing technology is unchallenged. So I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have two teams individually create the single and multiplayer components seperately. The end result could be excellent.

well they allready said that they would be focusing almost all,if not all, their time creating a super good single player game, so we know at least that will be good.

well they allready said that they would be focusing almost all,if not all, their time creating a super good single player game, so we know at least that will be good.

That's true, and it could also mean that a third party is already working on a multiplayer aspect (though it doesn't sound likely). But in the spirit of third party multiplayer, I don't see why mod teams couldn't start planning out some additions, ya know? By the time Doom 3 is released, they should have everything planned and ready to go (character designs, weapons/designs, map designes, play modes) and maybe even a little bit of code ready to use. Just a thought.

I don't think they need an external group to handle this game. I have faith in them, unlike almost anyone else. They've been in the businnes for a long time, they know about their biggest errors, and they're extremely talented.

I don't see a reason why it should fail.

I don't see a reason why it should fail.

It's not that we think it will fail, it's just that it would be better if the guys at id focused on singleplay, and let somebody else focus on multiplay so that both are fully fleshed out.

Id's record of making good single player revolves around mostly "find the key". However their ability to create amazing technology is unchallenged.

It´s not only id´s technology that stands out! Why people so often forget about id´s great artwork and level design?

It´s not only id´s technology that stands out! Why people so often forget about id´s great artwork and level design?

agreed...
back on topic-actually i'd like to see id both working on SP and MP .but this may take too much time for geting well-polished title.id is small company.it is the not bad idea to let other developer to work on multiplayer aspect of this game.so they can focus on SP only.

Amen.

We don't need no stinkin' MP support. Just throw in DM. In just a matter of days we'll have every mod we need.

Amen.

We don't need no stinkin' MP support. Just throw in DM. In just a matter of days we'll have every mod we need.

A company that depends on it's fans to make it's multiplayer good, is a lazy company that delivers an incomplete game. I've seen it too many times, and it's ridiculous, a game should be good on it's own merit and not because of it's fans.

A company that depends on it's fans to make it's multiplayer good, is a lazy company that delivers an incomplete game. I've seen it too many times, and it's ridiculous, a game should be good on it's own merit and not because of it's fans.

Deus Ex.

Fantastic game. One of my all-time favorites. Game of the Year for so many sites and magazines. It didn't even had MP out of the box.

Half-Life had a pretty shallow DM out of the box.

Should I say more? If they're planning to make a movie-like, fantastic singleplayer experience, then there's no way CTF, or some other form of "advanced" MP should be included in retail at the cost of many development hours.

or let they finish SP and basic DM,team DM first.after the game's release, they can work and release MP bonus pack(half-life have TFC,Deus Ex has multiplayer mode).but it is much more posible that after DOOM3 release, they will start to work full time on their CO-OP game and Quake4.

Deus Ex.

Fantastic game. One of my all-time favorites. Game of the Year for so many sites and magazines. It didn't even had MP out of the box.

Half-Life had a pretty shallow DM out of the box.

Should I say more? If they're planning to make a movie-like, fantastic singleplayer experience, then there's no way CTF, or some other form of "advanced" MP should be included in retail at the cost of many development hours.

Your point? No one plays single player Half-Life anymore. Once or twice through but that's it. Everyone plays Counter-Strike or Team Fortress Classic. But for a company to depend on it's user community to keep the game alive is just stupid, and lazyness on the developers part.

Your point? No one plays single player Half-Life anymore. Once or twice through but that's it. Everyone plays Counter-Strike or Team Fortress Classic.

Exactly. Half-Life's the most populated community when it comes to active mp players.
If the crappy HL mp aspect turned out to be an incredible mp magnet, why not id's DOOM? That would certainly pull in all Quake modders for sure, not to say some of HL and even some from Unreal.

It's not lazyness, it's accepting the harsh reality that games are getting so complex now that you must either sacrifice some features or just play 3DRealm's game and be a joke for the rest of the planet.

We Seem to have a very cynical group of people here...

id does not need anybody to do multiplayer for them, right after quake 3, that would be absurd. What made the multiplayer of Quake 1 2 doom and doom2 so great is that the level desing "twisted" itself around the single player. The sense of awe i got when i saw quake twos story driven levels altered into multiplayer experiences have only been matched by the sense of awe i got seing qukes levels suddenly turned into multiplaer arenas. And the only thing better than THAT was the genius of doom1/2's level design. iit should also be noted that the weapons in doom and doom2 were designed ONLY with single player in mind. THat wasnt luck. it was a focused team creating a work of art.id does NOT need another team, that would muddle the game and be blatantly non-artistic. can you imagine having a different group of artists doing the textures? different music? It would TOTALLY ruin the feel of the game, we might as well have two different companies release two different games

Your point? No one plays single player Half-Life anymore. Once or twice through but that's it. Everyone plays Counter-Strike or Team Fortress Classic. But for a company to depend on it's user community to keep the game alive is just stupid, and lazyness on the developers part.

Couldnt agree more, however i beleive quake 3 and doom were/will be special cases because part of the developers effort was/is making the game modifiable. For instance in the case of quake 3, id software KNEW that developers would be using source code and making levels, part of the DESIGN OF THE GAME was making things modifiable. and its justified (especially in quake 3's case) because a modem is required