Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShadowedCrow

Urban Prison Movie released!!

Ok I have been working on Urban Prison for Doom 2 for about a year now and I have created an intro video for this map. Now you are probably wondering why I made an intro video for a single map. To help you understand why I did it is :

1.) College reasons
2.) I have put alot of time and effort in this map and I wanted to express myself in a way to show how much I really love Doom.

The intro video will hopefully provide answers to any questions that you have.

You can watch the movie below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyH4URW7-Xo

The movie is the storyline for the map. It gives the player knowledge of what happened at this prison and what there mission is. it took me a bout 3 months to make it and I hope you viewers enjoy it!

PLEASE leave feedback!

Thanks in advance. :)

P.S.- I also go by the name RebelCrow, if you ever wonder why the name is different! :)

Video trailers are nice, but good god don't just give me a half-baked plot summary.

First rule of trailers is lots of action and very few words. The only part of this that I could see being appropriate would be the In 2014, the prison etc. Probably followed with "Until one day, all hell broke loose" or "Something went wrong" or whatever.

Hmm. Well, sometimes what you were reading didn't match what was on the screen. There were a few grammatical mistakes as well (such as "This Prison used to contain mass-murders" instead of murderers, and fluxating instead of fluctuating spring to mind).

I agree that too much was said, but then again, this is Doom, and depending on how good you are with scripting, it can be very hard just to make half-decent, 30-second cutscenes.

As was said before also, it was quite underwhelming and anti-climatic when the whole thing just switched to the in-game playing. I guess that can't really be helped though... so otherwise it was a pretty good effort, considering what it was for.

The story is really horrible, not to mention poorly written. I say either cut the story out entirely, trim down to the story to two sentences, or re-do the entire project to incorporate a real story.

That being said, the map looks fairly good.

Plot is unnecessary. This is a doom wad not Star Wars Episode 7: Revenge of George Lucas. I'm going to be kind and say no more than that about the whole scripted bit.

As for the map itself, looks totally underwhelming.

BTW was the reader on the video female or just a prepubescent boy.

It looked like the parts of the map I saw were well-detailed. The music chosen for the video was a bit more epic than the action you recorded, but that says nothing about the gameplay in the level itself. The new sound-effects were decent. The intro hearkened back to starfox and starwars. There's nothing wrong with wanting to have a plot, and it isn't like this video is going to be force-fed to the player before they load up your level. I liked what I saw, and will enjoy playing through this map when you release it.

For the people who complimented my map, I thank-you very much for the time you took to watch the video and appreciate what I have done so far. The map is nearly finished and I should have a release for it soon. So be on the look out.

Ok for the people that constantly shot me down for doing something different....I have no college training at all and it's my very first time making anykind of trailier for anything. This site expects way too much out of people and it is ridiculous. Yeah I understand that it is just Doom, but just because everyone is so dam negative I hesitate to post here anymore. It's not that I can't handle the truth or anything, it's the fact that everyone expects professional work here. I am the only one who had been working on this map for 10 months including the video. I honestly don't see a reason to re-do anything, because I put everyhting that I have into this map and that video and if you don't like it...well tough. Deal with it.

ShadowedCrow said:

Ok for the people that constantly shot me down for doing something different....I have no college training at all and it's my very first time making anykind of trailier for anything. This site expects way too much out of people and it is ridiculous.

No one shot you down for doing something different. I think, rather, they shot you down for doing something that isn't all that different, and in their opinions wasn't all that well-executed, that's all.

Tons people who make trailers and videos have no college training either, and I'd argue that the reason people here expect a lot from modders/mappers is A.) Doom has probably the most mods/maps of any game in existence, and thus the community tries harder and harder to filter out the sub-par content by being extra-critical, and B.) most of the community members have been around working with Doom for a very long time and judge new projects based on their own level of expertise which is usually quite high.

Don't let it discourage you. Everyone has to start somewhere, I remember the first few things I released, despite myself thinking they were good, were met with quite a negative reception. All the criticism and all the review of you do at first allows you to not only gain experience and expertise but also finally build something that 9 times out of 10 gets a comment of praise rather than outright criticism!

So keep it up! We want you here!

I appeciate that Nick, but see the fact that people say that my map is "underwhelming" is down right mean. They critisize my map without seeing the whole thing. They see a few in-game video shoots and they automatically think its crappy. They honestly have no idea what they are talking about until they actually play it. For instance, you can't judge a book by its cover. This map is very well detailed and considering its a prison map, there won't be very many texture changes. I have made many maps in the past and yes they have bombed and I have learned from that. But don't come into my post and start talking crap about it until you play the map (I'm not pointing my finger at you Nick). There is alot involved in this map. Yeah sure the storyline needs to be worked on, but don't critisize the actual map until you play it.

ShadowedCrow said:

I honestly don't see a reason to re-do anything, because I put everyhting that I have into this map and that video and if you don't like it...well tough. Deal with it.

Not to burst your bubble, but that attitude around here really doesn't work. If you don't care, then don't release it to the public. We are the consumers, and you're the producer. Consumers expect certain things and shouldn't have to "deal" with bullshit, and I'm not saying that your map is an abomination that can't be fixed and that the video is some dark shadowy part of the house we don't talk about, but what I am saying is that there's ALWAYS time to think about improvement. It's not an insult, it's a critique, don't take it personally.

I would very much like to see more stuff from you, but don't get this self-righteous attitude that we're lucky just to see you spit.

So best of luck and hope to see more from you soon : )

Bank said:

Not to burst your bubble, but that attitude around here really doesn't work. If you don't care, then don't release it to the public. We are the consumers, and you're the producer. Consumers expect certain things and shouldn't have to "deal" with bullshit, and I'm not saying that your map is an abomination that can't be fixed and that the video is some dark shadowy part of the house we don't talk about, but what I am saying is that there's ALWAYS time to think about improvement. It's not an insult, it's a critique, don't take it personally.

I would very much like to see more stuff from you, but don't get this self-righteous attitude that we're lucky just to see you spit.

So best of luck and hope to see more from you soon : )

I guess I just got a little carried away. I've always been told that, "If you make a map to please everyone then you are wasting your time". As a producer, I can only please so many people, including myself. I'm sorry if I sounded like a complete asshole, but that is what makes me normal. If I didn't get mad, then that would show that I don't care about anyones opinions but my own and that would make me look just plain stupid. I have worked really hard on this map and I did get self-righteous because of the fact that I have put alot of hours into this map and I let that get carried away instead of stopping to think of what you guys were trying to say and that makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up Bank.

map looks good, but less text and more action would have been better for the trailer. other than that, can't wait to see the finished product.

ShadowedCrow said:

I appeciate that Nick, but see the fact that people say that my map is "underwhelming" is down right mean. They critisize my map without seeing the whole thing. They see a few in-game video shoots and they automatically think its crappy.

That's totally right - if you only show them a few small snippets, then they will give you the opinion of those few small snippets. How can they possibly give their opinion on anything else? In essence you are agreeing that the trailer is underwhelming. That says nothing about the final product.

Anyway keep up the good work. If you don't want to have to please everyone, go for a specific audience. I mean really, what percentage of gamers these days play classic Doom anyway?? You're guaranteed to please people here with your map if it is well-designed, plays well, or looks good.

rf` said:

plot in doom makes me lol in my pants.

I hope, in ways you won't expect, to soon rectify this problem that Doom tends to fall prey to. (!!Nearly a shameless plug but no name-dropping!!)

Bank said:
If you don't care, then don't release it to the public. We are the consumers, and you're the producer.

I see... so I'll take the opportunity here to advertise that I need a person to do customer service and support for my wad project... anyone up for it? Just send me your CV!

ShadowedCrow said:
I've always been told that, "If you make a map to please everyone then you are wasting your time".

Indeed, it should please you first, and then those that may share your insights into the game. The rest only later, if they want.

As for the video, I haven't watched it, but once the wad is out I'll check it out if it seems interesting (I'll read the text file, review, release thread, or whatever).

I feel that if you are going to do a narrative trailer, then you should really animate what you are narrating rather than just using stills, and drop the text on screen, its all about immersion... which seems like the main focus of your trailer.

I am sure I will have disagreements, but if any one has to add to this suggestion feel free.

Another suggestion is if you are in collage, try getting a friend who is either a writer/screen writer, or just some one who is really good at writing (heh) or hell even possibly your English Prof, and get some help on the story line. They can help a lot.

Also, yes the trailer is underwhelming, but I thought that for a first attempt it was good. Just keep learning :)

Also (ugh, I keep repeating that word) I feel that a lot of people here have good advice, it is just that you may be taking things at face value, rather than discussing with them their opinion on what is wrong with your trailer, most of them seem really happy do to that :)

Well I re-read all of the posts and I have taken them into consideration and the introduction video will be re-done in a more professional and fashionable way to the best of my ability. I appreciate your criticism but I would highly appreciate your advice. Thank-you!! Once again, I am sorry for jumping the gun about the honest opinions that all of you have laid out.

Nick Perrin said:

I hope, in ways you won't expect, to soon rectify this problem that Doom tends to fall prey to. (!!Nearly a shameless plug but no name-dropping!!)

doom needs a plot?

rf` said:

doom needs a plot?

Haha no, it doesn't.
But what is getting a plot isn't really Doom. And the plot won't be something in a readme, or text screens.
No more from me right now on that subject! :D

ShadowedCrow said:

I appeciate that Nick, but see the fact that people say that my map is "underwhelming" is down right mean.

I didn't say your map was underwhelming, I've not even played it. I said that the video was underwhelming.
Had you posted a few screenshots of it, I would have been more inclined to try your map than I was after watching the video.

I apologize---I thought that when people said "underwhelming", I thought they were talking about my map and the video---You can view screenshots over at NewDoom for now until I get them posted on here---I now realize that they were talking about the video---I hope I didn't ruin your desire to play my map, because of what I said---Take care!! :D

ShadowedCrow said:

I've always been told that, "If you make a map to please everyone then you are wasting your time". As a producer, I can only please so many people, including myself.

I make the maps to please myself not to please an community, I don't really care about the trailer I'm interested in your map :p

I map because I'm bored and I gotta do something useful with my free time anyway :p your map looks nice is it possible that you could post screens without the high res texures.