Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LINBiNk

Plan to make an full conversion. Need help

I plan to make an Halo series mod for doom. I'm able to get the sounds, sprites, texture, etc. But I need assistance for how putting them together in the wad. Like which format for each and such. I have made mods before, years ago and wish to make again. Need to refresh my memories.
I have the following tools:
Doom Builder
NWT
WhackEd2
Is there an additional tools I needed?
Also I need an general tutorial for each tool. (I remember how for some but need to refresh my memories.)

My goal is to create halo like feel mod. But my concern is, (If yall play halo before) Features in halo not in doom like, grenades, dual weapon, additional stuff that doom don't can be added by scripting or whatever called to add features in the game or I'm dreaming? If those are impossible, then I just worry about the levels,sprites,sounds. Thank you for whom help. I'm excited to make this. If anyone willing to help me with this, hit me up at aim, l1nb1nk or msn, linbink@hotmail.com.

Again, thanks you for helping.
Edit: Also, I'm using Zdoom for this.

Sorry but most of us who play Doom, play it because Doom is better than 99% of all FPS's ever made. I don't say that because I'm biased. I say it because I'm right. The only way I see a Halo conversion/mod working is if it was done extremely well. Not only that, but I'm sure there are plenty of other Halo mods for Doom already out there.

Oh and since I know someone else is going to do it if I dont...

LINBiNk, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

If you plan to lead a project on Doomworld, or any of niche of the community, you're expected to produce a good portion of the work yourself. Also, having little to no knowledge about editing Doom will not be favorable to people that are considering helping you.

Hope this helps you re-evaluate things.

EarthQuake said:

Sorry but most of us who play Doom, play it because Doom is better than 99% of all FPS's ever made. I don't say that because I'm biased. I say it because I'm right. The only way I see a Halo conversion/mod working is if it was done extremely well. Not only that, but I'm sure there are plenty of other Halo mods for Doom already out there.

Oh and since I know someone else is going to do it if I dont...

LINBiNk, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

If you plan to lead a project on Doomworld, or any of niche of the community, you're expected to produce a good portion of the work yourself. Also, having little to no knowledge about editing Doom will not be favorable to people that are considering helping you.

Hope this helps you re-evaluate things.

I agreed with the fact that Doom is the best FPS out there. I played it since I'm 3. First FPS game ever. Yea I kno lol. Thanks for the tip. I always do the most work, since it my stuff. I just need some good tutorials for each category and I'm good to go. Then I'll post some pic. Which is a good source port to work with? I don't want fancy hi res sprite crap. I want plain old doom. I'm using Zdoom for now.

LINBiNk said:

I'm able to get the sounds, sprites, texture, etc. But I need assistance for how putting them together in the wad. Like which format for each and such.

For textures, I recommend using png (portable network graphics) format, as that allows a greater range of in-game colors without increasing file size.

Features in halo not in doom like, grenades, dual weapon, additional stuff that doom don't can be added by scripting or whatever called to add features in the game or I'm dreaming? If those are impossible, then I just worry about the levels, sprites, sounds.

Using DECORATE and scripting there are many things ZDooM can do to emulate games like Halo. If you want true 3D constructs, however, you should consider switching from ZDooM to GZDooM.

LINBiNk said:

First FPS game ever. Yea I kno lol.

You haven't the slightest clue.

ReX said:

Using DECORATE and scripting there are many things ZDooM can do to emulate games like Halo. If you want true 3D constructs, however, you should consider switching from ZDooM to GZDooM.

Trying to recreate something like halo even a small amount, I think you would need GZDOOM for a halo TC. Also, the levels are gonna be damn huge! It would take a lot of effort and the such, but in the end would look damn awesome

yomoneyboat said:

You haven't the slightest clue.

Wolfenstein was first yea.. but doom was famous. :P

btw thanks for yall help. I'll start with the maps. Starting with Halo 1... :D 3 espiodes total, halo1,halo2,halo3. btw what do u mean by 3d construct? with gzdoom? mean ACTUAL 3d or look like?

It sounds like something that needs huge amounts of effort, skills and what else you need to pull it off.Gzdoom would be an good port to make it for like Rex said, good luck and thats what you need and lots of it.

Do you have any experience with mapping for doom?

dutch devil said:

It sounds like something that needs huge amounts of effort, skills and what else you need to pull it off.Gzdoom would be an good port to make it for like Rex said, good luck and thats what you need and lots of it.

Do you have any experience with mapping for doom?

Yes. :) I'm curious can really big maps be played in doom with out any problem? halo 1 level 2 for example.... hmm is it possible to add a vechicle to ride in? lol. Eh I just use teleporter instead..

LINBiNk said:

btw thanks for yall help. I'll start with the maps. Starting with Halo 1... :D 3 espiodes total, halo1,halo2,halo3. btw what do u mean by 3d construct? with gzdoom? mean ACTUAL 3d or look like?

Yes, GZDoom as well as Legacy and Vavoom have true 3D floors, and Eternity has portals, which makes for some convincing 3D structures (not sure about their functionality though).

EarthQuake said:

Yes, GZDoom as well as Legacy and Vavoom have true 3D floors, and Eternity has portals, which makes for some convincing 3D structures (not sure about their functionality though).

Sweet. That's awesome. K we got the maps down. I'm not so sure about the weapons. I know you can have more than 8 weapons. But is it possible to make an script or something that limit you to 2 weapons and hold a key to swap for other weapons? If so, ni0ce. Totally gonna do that. If not, eh oh well. And the grenades... hehe tricky 1... specially the plasma grenade. again is it possible? For those who play the halo series and mod doom, think of halo game features and decide if it possible to include those into doom. That way, I know what we can do and what we can't. and make a list too. Then we go from there. :)

i'd try getting some help with this at FPS banana, since they have a large halo section, i imagine you could get some editing tools from there.

Janitor said:

i'd try getting some help with this at FPS banana, since they have a large halo section, i imagine you could get some editing tools from there.

Uh link to the place? And there is a lot of halo mod for doom? All I need is a list of what halo features can be included and what cannot. (That if able to add feature to doom. etc, vechicles, grenade.)And some general tutorials for each section of modding and specific tools needed to success doing this. (Again to refresh my memories.) Just some general pointers for me and I can go from there. Again thank you for helping. You gain my movitiation to doing this. :D

Janitor said:

Eh not so much. They got map editor. How that gonna help me? Not really understand...

LINBiNk said:

Allrite, it's official. I have started the project as of 11/18. Making the weapons now. ;D

Be sure to keep the community updated on your progress, with screenshots. Nobody likes a ghostproject.

yomoneyboat said:

Be sure to keep the community updated on your progress, with screenshots. Nobody likes a ghostproject.

Don't worry. :P

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I cant think of any first person shooters older than duck hunt. Was that the first one? I'm pretty sure Atari or Intellivision didnt have any FPSes.

I thought Atari had that tank game.

You could probably argue how "true" of an FPS it was, but that was the perspective.

Janitor said:

i still maintain that this was the first FPS game ever

That's what I was talking about.

Hm, so it really did use vector graphics.

Lüt said:
I thought Atari had that tank game.

Yeah, back in the very early 80s consoles had "1st person shooters". I recall one for Intellivision where you looked out from a submarine attacking ships.