Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
guitarman

Access Codes in "Cold as Hell": Solution

I've recently played Cold as Hell, and found myself stuck in the staff housing area.
Looked for hours, but never found the last access code.
Upon searching the forums, I found I wasn't alone, but nobody else really offered a solution (except for idclip, but that ruins the fun of the game quite a bit).

After a bit of futzing, I've found a way to fix the problem.

Enter "puke 11" into the console.
Each time you enter this, it will give you an access code.

Just collect all the codes that are there, then once you get to the library, punch this into the console and everything should be fine. Obviously you can just bypass the whole staff level by typing it in 8 times, but thats no fun, you cheating bastard.

Hope I managed to help somebody.

PS:
I've posted this on the ZDoom forums too.
I just want as many people to see it as possible, as I think it is rather important.

The last access code is not directly available. You have to read a certain set of notes in that level to get it.

I'm quite sure I read EVERY note, except the last four, before I even set foot in the library (most importantly, the one that tells you the code is in fact in the library)... I remember having this exact problem the last time I played, too.

The 4 notes in question are called 'Dr Jurgensen's Notes [1 of 4] to [4 of 4]. When having read all 4 of them you should receive the last code.

You may have to read them on the Staff Housing level though. Some of the scripts in CaH are a little buggy.

cold as hell == broken. it is a good concept. someone should do a gzdoom-compat remake

Cold as Hell would be a MUCH better release today than when it came out. It used buggy code to simulate weapon reloading and clips. If done properly with decorate, today, it would be much more playable. Mind you there are a few other issues that need dealing with, primarily health problems and losing health when "bleeding" and not being able to find something to stop it... but it has the potential to be really good.