Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Icarus

Doom RPG for PC - Team Members Needed

Right, so I know I already posted one thread about it, but everyone missed the point there.
So Yeah.

I'm Interested in interpreting Doom RPG (the one for phones) into a fully fledged FPS Doom .wad.

Unfortunately, In order to do this, I need some help from you folks, especially with a lot of the advanced scripting that this game will require.
I'm well for doing a lot of the mapping, and some DECORATE for the monster classes, but I will need some people to help with this project.
Also, some Paintshop wizards are also required for recolouring sprites for different monster classes, and a Kronos sprite set is gonna be needed.

Things I want to achieve with this project:
-A complete interpretation of Doom RPG, but with a free roaming environment that Doom brings, and full classic Doom combat.
(Basically, removing the turn based combat and squared movement.)
-Vending Machines and a credit system to buy ammo and health at various points.
-Consoles, coded doors and if possible, NPCs.

So yeah, after all that spiel, anyone still want to help me out with this?

I could help with the recoloring work, I know that's an easy task yet tedious specially with the high number of classes that are needed.

Count me in.
I have some map structure replicas of the maps already done if you want. Yet I think they need to be resized in order to allow true DOOM combat.

For the textures perhaps we can use one of the Nmn's texture packs that has some textures that look familiar with these of the RPG (some should have to be edited though).

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I'll do scripting and all the special lumps and stuff. As I no longer have Doom RPG for my phone, however, someone's going to have to send me the JAR for the game and the appropriate emulator (through PM?). And maybe after I have this I can give some textures/mapping and DECORATE help.

Icarus said:

Also, some Paintshop wizards are also required for recolouring sprites for different monster classes, and a Kronos sprite set is gonna be needed.

This is unnecessary. To save some space, if you wish, I'll code a translation table for this.

EDIT AGAIN: This probably means you're going to need a new palette, too.

This is something I really want to be done. Keep me in the list as a last resort if the translation table isn't enough, or if it demands more work than expected.

I think Kronos could be done editing the old skeletal baron of hell sprites from Freedoom if it's still available. There's a Bone Lord sprite at Neoworm site, the quality is superior to that of Freedoom, but it's only one frame, using it the monster should have one side only.

Cheers for all the support guys :)

The NMN Corp. 1 pack (http://doomworld.com/idgames/?id=12946) looks like it should do the job for textures.

Fraggle: Cheers for them :)

Also, cheers Veg and Fisk for offering your help.

I'll break out the texture pack and start work on a map.
What would be the best engine to do this in?
I was thinking zDoom, but if you have a better idea, let us know :)

fraggle said:

If it helps at all, I reverse engineered the Doom RPG level format a while back and generated maps of the levels.

Perhaps using that utility that generates terrain maps out of paint images (if the different sectors are colored with different gray scales), I think the very basic structure could be done, then, it'd require to adapt sector heights, and remove unnecessary sectors.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Can anyone link me to the Java emulator that would work with Doom RPG? Also, I've started ripping sprites, etc... Icarus: I'll send you a zip or a WAD or something with all I've got so far later.

Any progress on this? Tomorrow I'll start having some more free time, I'd like to edit some sprites, perhaps Kronos set, or some colorations.

Yeah, it's coming along.
I have all of Sector one and Junction mapped out on sheets of paper, so the structure is all there. Its all down to putting it into Doombuilder, detailing and placements now.

I'm using a combination of the 2 NMN Corp texture packs at the moment, but I'll merge any textures I've used later on to save space and stuff.

I should have some decent screenies up by the weekend.

I can do decorate scripts, ACS scripts, scripts and more scripts... is there a chance I can use the Strife Dialogs too? Sign me up laddie...

Janitor said:

I can do decorate scripts, ACS scripts, scripts and more scripts... is there a chance I can use the Strife Dialogs too? Sign me up laddie...

Nice one, hop aboard.
I wanted to keep it in zdoom/hexen format, I've never actually worked with Strife before to be honest. It would mean we could have NPCs, buuuut, I dunno.
Feel free to do scripting and stuff though, I only know a bit of ACS, so you are invaluble now :D
Cheers :)

I'll get some screens up later on today I hope to shoew you how I'm doing.

well, zdoom supports strife dialogs, so you dont need strife

Janitor said:

well, zdoom supports strife dialogs, so you dont need strife

Not so much I wanted to move out of Zdoom, more I've never used strife format before.
I'll play around with it and see what i think of it.
I would quite like NPCs, mind, and Strife supports that (right?)

Anyway, some screens from Sector 1. Slow going at the moment, but should pick up momentum soon.

Doesn't look like Doom RPG. I think most people would rather see a faithful recreation than a WolfenDoom-esque reproduction.

Actually I prefer it this way.

I prefer WolfenDoom compared to some of the WADs over at the ZDoom forums that "faithfully" recreate Wolfenstein 3D. Doom quality is greater than Doom RPG quality, so good luck Icarus!

Well the idea of this project was to interpret Doom RPG, rather than just make an out and out copy of it.

I am keeping all the same (well, basic) map layouts, themes and even some of the details of the maps, right down to the monsters in each area (where possible at least :P), but moving it into the Doom engine, 2.5D and more "free" roaming.

So while it may not be COMPLETELY faithful to the original Doom RPG, I am trying to keep it as close as possible. It may feel very WolfenDoom, but thats how I want it TBH, utilising effects that the original Doom RPG couldn't; eg, crates, steps, hidden walls, scripting etc.

And cheers BE :)

No breakable crates or fires YET, I'm having a look at how possible it would be to do.
Any takers ;)
I am considering replacing the Chainsaw with the axe, mind you.

Sigh, my organisational skills have suddenly failed.

Brewtal_Legend said:

sorry to bump, but is this still being worked on? Sounds interesting.

It's been 3 years since the last post. I never heard of anything like this so I don't believe it is being worked on at all.

Possibly PM the guy who's leading it?

But personally, I'd prefer a faithful conversion rather than one that adds more height to the levels.

It was going to be shit anyway.

If it's not a faithful recreation or doesn't look anything like the original thing, don't call it the "Doom RPG". That's just retarded. It's like saying WolfenDoom is Wolfenstein.

I know it wasn't going to be an exact port of the cell phone game, but it still sounded like an interesting idea. To have the Doom rpg elements mixed with regular doom. I definitely would have givin it a try. No way of really knowing if it was going to be "shit" without trying it. At least that's how I look at it.

The way I always saw it, Doom RPG was made to try and translate the main elements of Doom (the enemies, the weapons, the Doom 3-esque storyline) into a mobile phone game, but since mobiles at the time weren't very powerful, an RPG was obviously a better choice over an action or FPS game. As such, various gameplay elements had to be introduced, such as NPCs, consoles, grid based combat etc. In the end, it worked out rather well, and the game turned out to be really enjoyable.

However, as soon as you start to take out the RPG part, the other gameplay elements that were introduced start to become a bit pointless. The tiny corridors don't suit the real time combat, the NPCs and consoles would only slow the player down, and the levels would be way to tiny and bare to be any fun.

So yeah, I agree it would have been pretty shit had it been released. I will admit, the same thought did cross my mind after I finished Doom RPG, but there's just no denying that whereas Doom RPG managed to successfully translate Doom's elements into an RPG, Doom would really suck if it tried to reverse the process.

too bad there's no way to simulate turn based combat in zdoom. Maybe then it would work?

I know it can handle inventory, and isn't the korax mod based on zdoom? It has an experience system if I remember correctly.

But why only Doom RPG if this is intended for ZDoom?

If so, then you can easily make Doom 2 RPG (prequel) and Doom RPG in one wad. Blasting only Cyberdemon isn't too much fun than killing him with Soul Cube and later new Icon of Sin with new weapons...