Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dacote

Best looking map?

What map do you think is the best looking one, considering architecture, lightning, textures, tricks etc.?

Dacote said:

@Kaiser
What's DZIDK? Google couldn't help me here...

It's actually KDiZD. Kaiser made a funny.

Well in the news section there's a great item that answer your question

superb single level roundup

Other good looking impressive classic maps are
Deus vult
Mordeth
cchest2, map07 and map24
Phobos:anomaly reborn
equinox
darkening:episode2
Demons of Problematique

There are more in mine "impressive classic maps" category but I'm not at home for the moment so I can't look at my collection to refresh my memory.
The best I think is chord3 but that's not an impressive map. (impressive in the meaning of overwhelming) So I choose The Mucus flow (map24 cchest2)

Ps: I'm a player no mapper.

Dacote said:

What map do you think is the best looking one, considering architecture, lightning, textures, tricks etc.?

I have a friend who is working on lightning effects for sky in Doom. I wasn't aware there were other maps already in existence with lightning! :p

Hellbent said:
I wasn't aware there were other maps already in existence with lightning! :p

There's Hexen.

i always look for the best looking maps. haha. one map that stands out in visuals to me is a map called blackrock. its going to be in the zdoom community chest.

Well, this is indeed a tough question. The first wad that comes to mind is obviously SPACEDM5. It showcases many stunning maps such as "Jetsons Go to Skiing Planet Zorgon", "The Spiffchasm!", and the classic "Race Bannon's Space Cannon". As for which is the best, I just can't decide.

Dacote said:

@Kaiser
What's DZIDK? Google couldn't help me here...

yomoneyboat said:

It's actually KDiZD. Kaiser made a funny.

YOU TWO DESERVE THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE

since crucified dreams was mentioned...

(this is a question for whoever wants to answer)

what was your favorite map to look at?
to play at?

least favorite?
my least favorite was probably map 12, it just seemed very bland to me, even with all those cool arches.
my favorite maps were map 13 and the map by jon rimmer, at least visually they were.

Endgame Map07 was simply a beautiful looking map with the best gameplay imaginable, it looked very good and it was sure enjoyable to play. It was very realistic as well. Scythe 2 Map27 was an awesome experience. I loved the organ music and the architecture of that map. All of Dr Sleep's maps were great too, especially the Master Levels.

But Endgame Map07 wins out for me. Its that type of level that I know that I'm capable of making. But do I have the patience to do that?. It will be a difficult level because it was one of those maps that were very carefully planned out on paper and tested exclusivley.

KDiZD
TUTNT
TCOTD
Austerity
This sounds very biased but anything made by tormentor667 always goes down as a 10/10 for me.
Sapphire
Deus Vult
Many more could go down in this list but I'm too lazy to write everything

Also I never played crucified dreams before, does anyone have a link for that? Oh and Cheogsh. I haven't played that either

Crucified Dreams is a deathmatch.
Cheogsh
He also made hellfire and hellfire2, the last one you have to grab from his homepage. The last one is not a sequel but a remake and shows his appetite for perfection. They don't have the beauty of Cheogsh but they are extremely challenging without using an insane monster count.
Edit:
You can also check out this thread
He's making cheogsh2 you can download the first level of it.
I don't think it was reviewed in new stuff, btw.

All of the vine maps in Scythe 2 are just beautiful. Map23 is probably the most fun map I've ever played, and it's sure fun to look at.

boris said:

All maps by The Flange Peddler.

I like his work a lot, but they're a little formulaic. Uses similar details and layout tricks in every map. But I guess that's his style. His cc3 map is excellent!