Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeyScoots

[Community Project] Untitled New Years CP.

Bloodskull said:

I'll go head and put you up on there Icecream. Just remember folks that the deadline is slated for January 14th for all maps to be submitted at a "finished state". After that we'll get our titlepics, credits, and hudbar all made and compiled and hopefully have this released by January 31st.

Right here is the stated release date, though I assume by the previous post that that's not going to happen =(. As for the collaborative map, there are eight other authors who've completed their's and who can work on it if need be so that the ones still finishing their first map can concentrate on that.

Good news everyone, my map is complete. Looks like we can actually meet the 01/31 deadline. Destiny you should probably go head and send me a more updated version of the collab map and I'll add something to it and also spice it up.

By the way, do we know the mapnames for maps 02, 11, and 13. If so, please share them so I can create the intertitle graphics for them. =)

Also, I think "Scarlet Eclipse" would be a good name for the collaborative map 14.

Things have been slow around here recently, so here's a screenie of the collaborative map 14 to give the illusion of progress. =P This shot is just from my style of mapping, so the theme it may or may not be different after the other authors' work:
[Outdated]

What's wrong with that combination? There's blue fire as well.

I mean FIREBLU looks like plasma, but way too many people replace it. It reminds me of Mt. Erebus which itself looks wild (as much as an old and Petersen creation could, though).

printz said:

What's wrong with that combination? There's blue fire as well.

He hates areas consisting of more than 2 colors :(

printz said:

THREE Cyberdemons at once (or in a row)? It reminds me of Cyberden.

The cybs are fought progressively. The idea behind the map is currently a cyberden-for-ultimate-doom style. What with this being the third to last map, you can't expect it to be too easy ;)

The release date for this project is less than a a week away. This threads been pretty quiet, so I hope that progress is still being made. Even after all the maps are compiled, there are still a few things more that need can't be done until all maps are completed and that will take a little time. =/

When you and Bloodskull finish your parts of MAP14, decide well whom to pass it to. Butts, AFAIK, hasn't finished his map, but I have. So it'd be better to send it to me if by that time Butts is still busy.

yeah im still busy but im having mappers block with my map. not quite sure what i want to do with it at this point but it still has a ways to go.

Butts said:

yeah im still busy but im having mappers block with my map. not quite sure what i want to do with it at this point but it still has a ways to go.

You've had mapper's block for about a month now. What you need to do is use the technique speedmappers use for practice, which is to force yourself to finish by a certain date or within a certain time limit no matter what (for instance: "I refuse to take any longer than 25 more hours to complete this map") Otherwise, you should pass your map on to another member of the project to finish since they won't have accumulated as high of expectations over this period of time.

This project will stagnate if everyone has to sit and wait extensively for a single map. =/

Mapper's block is cumulative... the more time you spend on the map, it becomes progressively harder to decide how to finish the map correctly.

As for MAP14, I'm done with my section, so Bloodskull will send it along once he adds his and touches it up.

Butts said:

i may just send my map for someone else to finish it up then.

If that's what you decide, you can go ahead and e-mail it to me... I haven't had anything productive to do toward this project in a while.

alright, i will send it to you soon, im just going to see how much more work i can do on it today. and feel free to do whatever the hell you want with any of the areas i made.

We're not quite ready yet. At the moment, we're still waiting on Bloodskull and Printz to do whatever to MAP14. After they finalize that, Bloodskull will need to mail me the completed WAD so I can merge the statusbar, MAP06, and whatnot into the WAD. I'll still have to mail it back to Bloodskull after this, but the WAD should be complete at that point, so all that needs be done is release it after that.

We're almost there. >=)

Death-Destiny said:

We're not quite ready yet. At the moment, we're still waiting on Bloodskull and Printz to do whatever to MAP14. After they finalize that, Bloodskull will need to mail me the completed WAD so I can merge the statusbar, MAP06, and whatnot into the WAD. I'll still have to mail it back to Bloodskull after this, but the WAD should be complete at that point, so all that needs be done is release it after that.

We're almost there. >=)

You can send me everything I have so far, but wait until Printz finishes his part on the compilation so I can just add on from there cause right now I cant really do much to the map as so far it hasnt gotten to my style of E3 yet.

Bloodskull said:

but wait until Printz finishes his part on the compilation

Well, he should send me the map before I can start...

Bloodskull said:

Looks like we can actually meet the 01/31 deadline.

Where is it?

printz said:

Well, Bloodskull should send me the map before I can start...

Don't tell me you two haven't even touched the map over all this time... o.O

Death-Destiny said:

Don't tell me you two haven't even touched the map over all this time... o.O

Sorry about that. Just been busy with school and I just recently joined a band as Rhythm guitarist so I've been caught up but I got some freetime for the weekend. I'll add and improve a few area's of the map.

Also, once Bloodskull and I finish our parts, we should pass it on to Butts. Let's not ignore him.

printz said:

Also, once Bloodskull and I finish our parts, we should pass it on to Butts. Let's not ignore him.

Butts has already informed me that he will not have time for the collaboration. It's just the two of you who need to finish it up as a result.

Anyhow, while we're waiting on the final map to be completed, I may as well post some screenies of me and Butts' map. The design of the top one is all Butts' work, the middle one is a combination of the two of us, while the bottom one is all my work. In my opinion, the map looks pretty homogenous as opposed to a disjointed map consisting of two distinct styles. I hope I did justice to Butts' theme... =)

By the way, here's the specs for the map:
Map06: Hellstorm Workshop
1966 sectors
15392 linedefs
28417 sidedefs
12337 verticies
500 things

As you can see from the number of things compared to the other stats, the map isn't that big (15-20 minutes of gameplay), but keeps with the absurd detail theme. And now on to the screenies:
[Outdated]

POTGIESSER said:

Where is it?

Don't worry, once or if all maps are submitted, it will still take time to rebalance the maps, put music, making it consistent, right Bloodskull/Death-Destiny?

Death-Destiny said:

As you can see from the number of things compared to the other stats, the map isn't that big (15-20 minutes of gameplay), but keeps with the absurd detail theme.

Heh, my map beat all your people's Thing-wise (as much as has been posted). And that is something, considering Things are the most important part of Doom. Also, my map isn't absurdly detailed, just not to look noobish. I prefer things to sectors when detailing, anyway.

printz said:

I prefer things to sectors when detailing, anyway.

I think people refer to detail as in architecture and not things.