Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeyScoots

[Community Project] Untitled New Years CP.

Tango said:

I think people refer to detail as in architecture and not things.

I agree. Architecture allows a lot more creativity and variation, whereas things are limited if only by the amount of time it takes to make custom sprites. But if you neglect architecture your WAD risks looking at best like a '94 WAD, or worse an old Wolfen3D map.
Personally I hardly notice things a lot of the time, and too many can be annoying if they're impassable. But like with everything, a good balance is the key.

So Butts his map is the last remaining map that needs to be finished? the screens look nice I like the first one an shitload of detail on the ceiling and nothing on the floor :p

I would lower those little platforms where the knights stand on by 8 units looks an bit nicer I think.

dutch devil said:

So Butts his map is the last remaining map that needs to be finished? the screens look nice I like the first one an shitload of detail on the ceiling and nothing on the floor :p

I would lower those little platforms where the knights stand on by 8 units looks an bit nicer I think.

I agree with both these points. The map is indeed looking good from the screenshots, and the platforms would look better if their heights matched the height of the texture on them.

icecreamsoldier said:

Architecture allows a lot more creativity and variation, whereas things are limited if only by the amount of time it takes to make custom sprites.

Really? Since I'm not having enough skill with sector-based aesthetics (I often get bored of "cramming sectors", but I do care of general looks, mind you), I like using gory corpses to make the level look sad. I think sprite decorations are an old-school way, because they existed in Wolfenstein and were at large.

Sorry for bragging and all this, but this is my first sustained map that I've completed. :P

I consider things -- not the functional ones -- to belong to detail, just as their title is called, "Decorations".

dutch devil said:

The screenies are from Butts' map, which recall he requested that I finish. I've already completed Butts' map. We're waiting on Bloodskull and Printz's map. The last time I saw it, it had some decent progress (probably 40% perhaps.) Once that's finished, Bloodskull can send me the level compilation so I can add the various custom graphics to it and maybe touch it up some if I see anything amiss.

By the way, KingofFlames, Janitor, and Fisk haven't mentioned their mapnames (map02, map11, and map13). If anyone knows/has suggestions, please post them... or I'll have to make them up myself. =/

And for you picky people out there, the comment on the knight platforms has been noted. Actually, the center of the platform is 8 units lower, but an HOM I didn't catch (which I fixed, of course!) prevents you from seeing it in the screenie. Thanks to those who pointed it out. =)

sorry i havent done anything for this project as of yet, i really dont have time for it. my mock trial team went to state, so i wont have any free time for this project at all until late march....

dutch devil said:

If you don't have the time why bother signing up for it then these things annoy the fuck out of me.

yeah, i understand, i didnt count on actually winning when i signed up... i have an old map i was working on 2 years ago i could submit if you need something to fill my spot

Janitor said:

yeah, i understand, i didnt count on actually winning when i signed up... i have an old map i was working on 2 years ago i could submit if you need something to fill my spot

Forget it. I've already got another recent map to fill your slot with.

dutch devil said:

If you don't have the time why bother signing up for it then these things annoy the fuck out of me.

Dutch Devil is right. This is getting rediculus. Of the 13 authors who've "signed up" for the project, like a third of them couldn't actually fulfill the commitment. Then we end up postponning the release date indefinitely because we thought everything was covered and not actually even knowing were we stand.

Bloodskull, whenever you read this, you need to go ahead and send me the level complilation right away. I have more than enough time for this and I'll be able to finalize and release the thing within a week of you sending it to me, assuming of course that MAP14 and MAP11 are the only incomplete maps.

Since MAP11's author did not have time to compose a map, this is the one we'll be using instead. It was going to be a part of a possible future project of mine, but I guess I'll use it here instead. Quite honestly, though, it didn't really fit the theme of the aforementioned project and I only included it because I liked it, so it would fit much better in a community project anyhow.

This map gives about 20-25 minutes of moderate difficulty gameplay with only a tough arch-vile and cyberdemon trap near the end to pose problems for advancement. This map's theme was inspired by Shade's "Fortress of your Lost Soul" from Purgatory.WAD, hence the ultimate doom look to it.

Map11: Eoenigma
3825 linedefs
5961 sidedefs
3298 vertices
587 sectors
502 things

The obligatory screenies. We can't forget these, now ;)
[Outdated]

Looking good! As you say, quite ultimate Doom, I like it. It's a shame about people dropping out without letting anyone know till the last minute, but all will be forgiven once I get my hands on the finished product!

You are productive, Death-Destiny. I hope the maps play well. Of course, as the second leader of this project, you may agree with Bloodskull to not send me the 14th map, if there's no more time. I'm having school and whatnot at this time, and my mapping time will be reduced from all day to some hours a day.

As a side note, I'll be making levels for all my life as hobby. It's beneficial.

printz said:

You are productive, Death-Destiny. I hope the maps play well. Of course, as the second leader of this project, you may agree with Bloodskull to not send me the 14th map, if there's no more time. I'm having school and whatnot at this time, and my mapping time will be reduced from all day to some hours a day.

Unfortunately, it's not looking like there will be time. =( Too many people have been waiting for this project to be completed for too long, so I'm not really willing to make people wait much longer than they have to without some type of serious objection arising. I'm looking to get this finalized and released as close to now as humanly possible.

Well, fewer levels, like 11, wouldn't be that bad either. Just let's make sure they have continuity, are arranged so as to flow correctly, and that the last level is the maximum. :)

printz said:

Well, fewer levels, like 11, wouldn't be that bad either. Just let's make sure they have continuity, are arranged so as to flow correctly, and that the last level is the maximum. :)

This is already taken care of. As I gained information on the maps, I rated them according to difficulty. Quite a bit of planning was actually put into the continuity. The first 6 maps are generally easy with a few moderate ones, levels 7-11 are generally mid-difficulty with some a little easier and some a little harder, while maps 12-16 are all hard with the last being "extremely hard." >=D

We're not cutting corners, yet. Count on 16 maps. =)

Death-Destiny said:

Count on 16 maps. =)

That sounds good to me. Honestly, the progress made so far isn't bad for two and a half months of work, so I wouldn't mind waiting a little longer. From what I've seen, it should be a nice set of maps.

Hey guys I'm not gonna be able to work on the collab map. I've just been too busy and caught up in life, so whoever wants to continue working on go for it. After your done send it to me, and I'll send over the wad with all the levels and resource pack to Death and he'll put in the statusbar and titlescreen so we can release this.

I might be kinda late in this but...if there is still people who have some doubt bout their map(i don't think they will ¬_¬)im willing to test them for everyone.What i would not do for such a awesome looking mapset.

Still if interested just PM the wad...i'll gladly try it.Also the progress been awesome lately keep up the good work guys :)

You know what, I'll just finish map14 myself. I made the beginning of it, so it would be most consistant if I made the rest of it anyway. Besides, the collaboration idea was to get this done in a timely manner, which couldn't be done for various reasons. Bloodskull, you should go ahead and send me the mapset and I'll complete the final map as well as add the custom graphics so that this project can finally be concluded. =)

heh...personally we need more people like you Death-Destiny :P willing to finish project and all...

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Death-Destiny said:

KingofFlames, Janitor, and Fisk haven't mentioned their mapnames (map02, map11, and map13).

To The Skies.

And even 16 maps weren't few enough to gather enough confident (as in having time) mappers. And Death-Destiny registered at the right time, which saved the project to its completion.

Just so everyone knows, I've got the level set with me at the moment and am polishing and finalizing it. At the moment the levels collectively have doortraks that aren't lower unpegged, items that can be picked up through walls, triggers that can be activated in this same way, levels without enough ammo for 100% kills on UV, one map without difficulty settings or co-op starts, a 3D bridge that doesn't trigger 100% of the time, a few visplane errors, a few sectors with no tags set, and a few stucked enemies. This list is more or less all-inclusive, so as soon as I correct all these things, I'll upload the WAD to the archive. I believe I can have this done by Sunday if not Saturday. I've already got the maps in their correct slots, all the textures, flats and graphics added, and all the midis set. =)

Death-Destiny said:

a few visplane errors

There aren't visplane overflows in Boom.

Death, I'd rather you send me the finished product first before uploading it to the archive. I think I still have a say in the project(no offense).

I've got good news and I've got bad news. =/ The good news is that I'm finished with DR2008 and have uploaded it to the archive, which is also the bad news since I was so excited to finally see this completed that I did this last night as soon as I was finished with it and did not see Bloodskull's request until now. I'm very sorry Bloodskull... I thought I was the last one who needed to do anything with it. In any case the damage is done, so here's the unofficial link to this chronically tardy project: http://files.filefront.com/DR2008zip/;9831465;/fileinfo.html

And if that doesn't work, try this one: http://files.filefront.com/DR2008zip/;9831465;/fileinfo.html

Hopefully, you people won't be disappointed with the finalization I did, so you can forgive me for my unwarrented haste. =( To the authors of this project, I take responsibility for anything in the WAD the makes you unhappy, so complain to me.

One final note, Craigs's map is in the slot that Kingofflames's map was supposed to be in, so the credits are incorrect. MAP03 IS "THE HUNT" AUTHORED BY CRAIGS NOT "SKITTERING SILENCE" AUTHORED BY KINGOFFLAMES!!!

Wow that was a lot of fun giving it a quick play through. Thanks Death-Destiny!

If there's to be another release I have a couple of suggestions: my level was designed with a different sky texture in mind, so if we're using the night one all the way through then the global light level in my map should be reduced by 10 or so. Also the custom sky texture in the second episode (after finishing the new levels and reading the nice text ending) doesn't tile properly.