Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Should a Deus Vult II demo come out before Christmas?

Should a Deus Vult II demo be uploaded to the Idgames Archive before Christmas?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should a Deus Vult II demo be uploaded to the Idgames Archive before Christmas?

• Yes
    • No
    • Rape

He means one of the idgames requirements (#4) is against works in progress. You could still host it elsewhere, though.

i think you should release the demos. ive been waiting for a deus vult 2 ever since i played deus vult 1.

My bad, well, I'm entertaining the thought of releasing it as finished...

I think the amount of work that went into those four levels of DVII totals triple that of DV.

College is keeping me extremely busy and it would be a shame to keep DVII from those who waited for it for the next twenty years.

I don't know, there are those who'd love to see DVII in its full potential, but that is not possible in my siuation... at least not for another decade.

Now the question is more like... to wrap up DVII or wait for the next decade?

well, its your wad and your decision. if you would like to finish it that would be great, but if you just want to be done, then that is understandable.

Perhaps your easiest solution is to upload it as finished. You could always replace the uploaded version with an expanded one later, if you were to suddenly find time and inspiration to do so any time in the future.

No need for any subterfuge. Ty has clarified (either in forum posts here, or in private communication - I forget which) that the rule is just to prevent the uploading of half-finished maps.

A wad containing completely finished and fully playable maps is OK, especially if there is a distinct possibility that there may not be any later release. But obviously it makes sense not to label the project too strongly as "unfinished" or "demo version", in case he assumes it is the type of demo wad that needs to be rejected. An accomanying message to Ty could be added in case you want to make sure there is no misunderstanding.

And in answer to the original question: yes, this would be welcome for sure.

If those other levels form some kind of narrative or continuity with the levels you have already finished, then I think you should continue making them (maybe limit the scope of the project to 11 maps or something doable).

If not, release the four levels as DVII, and start making DVIII :)

If you decide to continue but still want to release a demo, I suggest you release only one of the maps (preferably the easiest and least epic). I wouldn't want to play too much of what seems to be the meat of the project in advance.

Huy,

I know it's been a real long time since we've chatted. But as I've told you in the past, the levels that you have made for DV II are some of the best I have ever seen in any game, period.

DVII doesn't need to have 32 levels to become one of the best. The amount of work you've put into 4 levels alone is just amazing and I'm sure it'll go down as one of the best of all time.

Congrats.

And if you decide you want to add more levels later, just do it in installments or episodes.

Coldfusio said:
If you are unhappy with the quality then I hope you only release one of the four maps.

I doubt that's the case. He just seems quite busy with work and studies, and making huge or finely tuned detailed levels demands a lot of mental energy and dedication.

Doom Marine said:

I don't know, there are those who'd love to see DVII in its full potential, but that is not possible in my siuation... at least not for another decade.

What's wrong with that? My megawad turned 11 this year. I want DV2 to be complete, or as complete as you feel it should be I suppose. I say wait.

I say you should release the demo, it will generate hype, and give you good feedback which will result in your wanting to make more of it and a refreshed and renewed outlook on making your levels as people discuss them amongst themselves. Just my thoughts, of course its still up to you.

oh and by the way, hey ^_^!!

What's up Huy! Long time no chat man. I agree, the DV II levels that I've played in the past are nothing short of exceptional! In each and every aspect!

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a complainer if you released DV II as 4 levels as opposed to the 32 it was meant to be. The amount of work put into those four levels is very, very noticable.

I say release it as is, and let the community indulge!

Its up to you what you want to do Huy, but I'd have to agree with everyone that seeing another sequel or even just a demo of a potential sequel consisting of 4 maps would make this community squeel like a 7 year old kid who opened a Pokemon card pack and got the rare Charizard card in 1998. Then again it's up to you but the screenshots and video's I've seen look very pleasing.

Um, is it that hard?

It think it's obvious that you should release the four maps now.
There's nothing wrong with uploading a demo so long as those four maps are complete.

cool. im glad you will be releasing it. dooms birthday is uhh... oh gee, right now!(cough,cough)

Even when zipped, DVII is having a hard time keeping under the 50 MB limit, is this something Ty Halderman should know ahead of time before I upload it?

... And no I'm not uploading it now... trying to cram in more easter eggs and secrets and artworks...

Doom Marine said:
DVII is having a hard time keeping under the 50 MB limit, is this something Ty Halderman should know ahead of time before I upload it?

Yeah, in the worst scenario he may ask you to split it into two files, but I doubt it.

I mean, if justice didn't split Microsoft, then why would someone want to split DV II?

OMG all this year's good stuff being released in the very last months... EPIC.WAD, Community Chest 3 and now 4 epic levels from DVII...

Why in the world did I bought WoW ?

While I am looking forward to DV2, I would say wait and do not release a demo. I think a demo might just ruin some of the surprise and amazement that the full release would herald.

DVII is already nearing its full potential, actually. My plan was to fill most of the remaining map slots with scythe-ish speedmaps, since most of the epic stuff have already been made... and I gave my word that I'll have it out before Christmas too.

Also duly noted and (true at the time of this post) is that according to the poll: twice as many Doomers prefer being raped to waiting for DVII to become a megawad. Cheers.