Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
40oz

Computer Help

I hate to be a pain in the butt but I recently reinstalled Windows2000 on my computer because i had a pretty rotten virus. Anyway, the virus is gone however my computer won't let me install any new programs.

Setup requires _SETUP.dll and _ISRES.dll (located in SETUP.LIB) in order to operate properly. Please ensure these are located with SETUP.EXE

Well I managed to find one _SETUP.DLL and download an ISRES.dll from a dll archive. Running the setup still won't work. It keeps giving me the same error. I put the dlls on the desktop and tried it, and I tried putting it in the install directory. And it keeps giving me the same error. What exactly does my computer want me to do with these dlls? This is pretty important to me because this computer doesnt come with a built-in .zip handling program, so I need a working program that can open up .zip files, but so far my computer wont let me do it.

If they're really legitimate Windows system file updates, they should probably be in the /system or /system32 directory under /windows. It won't look on the desktop for system files. And seriously, ANY program whatsoever refuses to install? How many have you tried?

I remember having this problem with user and guest accounts before those new fancy installshield/msi programs ran and updated the local install system.

Make sure you are running with Administrator privileges. Clear out your TEMP directory (C:\Documents and Settings\accountname\Local Settings\Temp and make sure hidden files are on). Make sure you have service pack 4 installed. Make sure you have the latest version of Windows Installer if you're trying to install things that use it, but you should probably get it anyway.

Also, if you do a repair installation of Windows 2000, you lose all the effects of the Windows Updates you may have installed. Run Windows Update.

Open a command prompt and type in
regsvr32.exe _SETUP.DLL
regsvr32.exe _ISRES.dll

This might work if you're using the correct version of this dll.
Correct means use the version that has been used in windows 2000 if your using it without service pack.
I you use sp4 then it might be possible that the dll is changed.

You can use 7-zipthe exe version doesn't need msi, it comes with it's own installer I see.
I can mail you or upload somewhere a standalone unzipper (168kb or so that comes from here: http://www.info-zip.org/UnZip.html#Downloads).
It uses a commandline.