Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Green Herring

Community Chest Series Demos [-complevel 9]

justanotherfool said:

Did a speedrun of map 06, "Foregone Destruction", my favourite of Tormentor's maps.

Mine too, I think because he just threw it together in a few weeks. He should do that more.

For some reason I decided it would be a good idea to speedrun map 07 next. Now I see why tatsurd wanted somebody else to do it... :)

Certainly one of the most difficult speedruns I've ever attempted, and the time reflects the difficulty of the run.

I might come back to this map later to make the time a bit more respectable, but for now I'm just glad to be done with it.

c307s-703.zip

Why is there no demo for CC2 map24? (At least I can't find any). It's one of the best looking maps ever imo.

edit: I guess the answer is in the demopack txt... has it been deemed more or less impossible?

Erik said:

Why is there no demo for CC2 map24? (At least I can't find any). It's one of the best looking maps ever imo.

edit: I guess the answer is in the demopack txt... has it been deemed more or less impossible?

It's possible now. A patch has been released.

emailking said:

It's possible now. A patch has been released.

If you are talking about the comperr_passuse option in prboom-plus, that is intentionally disabled when recording demos because otherwise they would desync on everything else.

On the other hand if there is a fixed version of cchest2.wad going around then it's the first I have heard of it.

so i stumbled upon cchest2 and found out it's UV-speed table is half empty and there are speedrun tricks being ignored, which made me record in protest.

all UV-speed:
map06 in 0:52
map19 in 1:32
map20 in 1:56
map26 in 3:23

map06 uses a new route with a rj shortcut. by far the hardest to complete. map19 has a keygrab trick that anima didn't use for some reason. :) map20 uses the jump he did in his -nomo run (which i didn't know about up until 10 minutes ago). map26 is just playing fast, no tricks here.

oh and i recorded map06 on complevel 5, copying what the max pack said. then i ran into broken switches and doors on other maps and checking the docs i found out i'm using some weird rare setting for dosdoom while boom has been moved to complevel 9. ouch :-/ i'm SO not re-recording that.

cc2dew.zip

i saw just cc3 stuff here and anima's cc2 -fast demos in the misc thread, but if you say so then be it. here's a new one.

cc2 map11 UV-speed in 3:13

c211-313.zip

what skepticist said, just with the speed table :)

map01 UV-speed in 0:16
map01 UV-pacifist in 0:17
map09 UV-speed in 0:39
map13 UV-speed in 1:55
map21 UV-speed in 3:31

the last one is probably not worth watching, but i wanted a closure from this wad already, so i threw in all i got. undone maps are either too long/hard/annoying to speed through or plain horrible.

cc2dew2.zip

CC2- MAP11 (Beyond Pain by Exl), UV Max

Despite two serious bugs, one of my favourites. I love this kind of non-linearity (like fdcm6 or darken2 MAP11), as well as this kind of "old-fashioned" design (fdcm6 again, d2reload, e.g. MAP13). The fastest Max demo on DSDA was... sort of uncomplete, 100% kills was obtained thanks to arch-vile resurrecting powers, there is a demon wandering right in front of the player who ignores it @7:10. My goal was to: 1.kill everything, lost souls included; 2.get the time below 9:00.
The latter might have been to easy...

c211-834.zip

vdgg said:

Here's MAP24. HMP Max in 25:08, UV Max in 55:43.

Thank you for the demos. This is my favorite cc map.

Does the uv demo desync for you when you play it back? For me it desynchs around 29:45.

Here's the command line I used:
glboom-plus -iwad doom2.wad -file cchest2.wad cc2_m24f.wad -playdemo c224-uv

I checked and it does detect complevel 9. I'm using the test version of prboom+. I also tried with 2.5.0.5 which the text says you recorded with. Same deal. Forcing complevel 9 doesn't change anything.

Did I miss something?

Hm, does the demo play back OK for everyone else? Emailking: does the second demo play back correctly? For me they do play back, I wouldn't dare to present something without watching it first. If we're using the same WAD (cchest2.wad - 27884804 Bytes) and the same patch, this is strange.

vdgg said:

Hm, does the demo play back OK for everyone else? Emailking: does the second demo play back correctly? For me they do play back, I wouldn't dare to present something without watching it first. If we're using the same WAD (cchest2.wad - 27884804 Bytes) and the same patch, this is strange.

The HMP one desyncs for me too. (Haven't figured out where, bu 40 seconds before it's supposed to be over the marine is wandering aimlessly near the start.)

We match on cchest2.wad.

What's the bytage on your fix wad? Maybe that's different somehow. I have 2406553.

I only used the 2505 executable but the next thing I'll try will be a clean install from the zip in a separate directory. Maybe some other DLL is the problem.

Same size, yeah.

No response from the others means either they didn't have time to watch it yet or they don't experience any problems.

Trying to get my own demo out of sync - a rare thing, indeed. I didn't succeed. PM sent to emailking.

vdgg said:

CC2- MAP11 (Beyond Pain by Exl), UV Max

Despite two serious bugs, one of my favourites. I love this kind of non-linearity (like fdcm6 or darken2 MAP11), as well as this kind of "old-fashioned" design (fdcm6 again, d2reload, e.g. MAP13). The fastest Max demo on DSDA was... sort of uncomplete, 100% kills was obtained thanks to arch-vile resurrecting powers, there is a demon wandering right in front of the player who ignores it @7:10. My goal was to: 1.kill everything, lost souls included; 2.get the time below 9:00.
The latter might have been to easy...

Great job man! Up until now I think my UV Max demos have been the only ones in that category posted for this map. I always wondered why more weren't done for it. It's a great map and a lot of fun.

vdgg said:

Same size, yeah.

No response from the others means either they didn't have time to watch it yet or they don't experience any problems.

Trying to get my own demo out of sync - a rare thing, indeed. I didn't succeed. PM sent to emailking.

Our cc2_m24fs have the same size but are actually different binary files according to winmerge. I do not desynch when I use yours.

I don't know how I have the "wrong" fix wad (which does fix the door that won't open) but apparently there's a secret door that won't open in mine but does in yours. I said it desynched at 29:45 because I thought a Mancubus was out of place and caused the obvious desynching 20 sec later, but apparently you just missed it. ;)

But anyway, problem solved. Thanks! :)

Lesson learnt: providing file size in bytes may be insufficient - now I see what the checksums are for.

Marco, I wasn't aware you exist here in DM Forums :) Wow. All I wanted to add, you guys are spoiling me - I got more positive feedback to my demos this month than in entire 2009!

emailking said:

Our cc2_m24fs have the same size but are actually different binary files according to winmerge. I do not desynch when I use yours.

I don't know how I have the "wrong" fix wad (which does fix the door that won't open) but apparently there's a secret door that won't open in mine but does in yours. I said it desynched at 29:45 because I thought a Mancubus was out of place and caused the obvious desynching 20 sec later, but apparently you just missed it. ;)

But anyway, problem solved. Thanks! :)

The version dated July 7, 2008 has a secret door that won't open for the same reason you can't finish the unpatched version of the level. The file dated September 22, 2008 fixes that.

Anyway, I'm glad someone finally used my unofficial bugfixed version of the level to make demos. The existence of the UV max demo certainly makes the statement about MAP24 all the way back in the CC2 demo pack unintentionally hilarious. ;)

CC2 - MAP05 (Elixir by RjY), UV Max in 21:18

Filling another gap in the cchest2 Max table (the last one, I think), as previous maxes were recorded with ZDoom.

c2052118.zip

Gentlemen,

First of all allow me to congratulate vdgg on finishing that bitch of a run (CC2 map 24 UV max)!

Now, I'm sure your reflections on the map 24 comment in the CC2 demo pack are all made in jest, but let me just for the record state that nobody involved in that demo pack ever said that an UV max run was impossible ("an unrealistic amount of infighting is needed", or something to that effect, was the term I used). The comment was based on the DMTHA output I -- and everyone else involved in the demopack, who must've been just as unaware of the possibility of the technique used in vdgg's run as I was, or else they surely would have opposed this formulation -- assumed gave an, as Vile put it, "unflattering" impression. I guess nobody bothered to find out the inner workings of that map, mostly (I assume) because of its "ZDoom-only" status. It was impossible to finish with any doom2.exe compatible source port at the time. The comments in the demo pack simply reflect the aforementioned impression. Aside from this, it sounded better than saying "we can't be bothered and want to play some other WADs now". :-)

This post is also a worthy contender for the most needlessly complicated sentence structure ever used in a DW demos forum post. ;-)

vdgg said:

CC2 - MAP05 (Elixir by RjY), UV Max in 21:18

Very nicely done! I only managed to beat it once on UV during testing, and the time was ~30minutes IIRC.

I think you probably reached the secret on top of the mainframe the hard way, edging along the top of it - you can pretty much just strafejump out of the little door at the top of the ladder (but it might need strafe50, I forget)

In your text you mentioned the archvile not hitting you. This seemed nothing more complicated than you moving out of its line of sight at exactly the right moment; I thought maybe it was something to do with the glass windows (but they were already open of course) or the reject map (which I'd had to tweak a bit in that area, RMB didn't like the self-referencing sectors the table was made out of, meaning the barons never fought back)

And please accept my apologies for putting a demon teleporter trap on a berserk box :P