Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Green Herring

Community Chest Series Demos [-complevel 9]

cack_handed said:
This is the first demo I've recorded in quite a while so it's a bit rough and improvable, but I've had enough of it for now:- Map09 Max in 8:16 c309-816.zip.

This one desynchs in Boom at the beginning.

At first I thought it was your old version of PrBoom (2.2.6), but it doesn't desynch in the latest PrBoom and PrBoom+ versions either, meaning that the compatibility bug is in those versions as well.

Nice demos, and a better strategy to get heavier weapons asap, cack_handed (on 9, didn't desync for me but I just drag/drop into prboom-plus.exe 2.4.8.6test-win32). Hardest part about the yellow key room for me is that the candles are infinitely tall so hard to squeeze by.

I tried getting heavier weapons asap for c3 24 this time, shaved off about 2 minutes (13:01).

edit: Oh, I meant cack_handed's demo didn't desync for me myk

c3241301ggg.zip

gggmork said:
on 9, didn't desync for me but I just drag/drop into prboom-plus.exe 2.4.8.6test-win32

If you mean your demo; whatever is inconsistent with Boom mustn't have occurred. If you mean his demo didn't desynch, that's expected. I'll only desynch in Boom itself (because PrBoom/+ isn't emulating it right in something).

myk said:

This one desynchs in Boom at the beginning.

At first I thought it was your old version of PrBoom (2.2.6), but it doesn't desynch in the latest PrBoom and PrBoom+ versions either, meaning that the compatibility bug is in those versions as well.

Because this demo is not BOOM demo. This is prboom_2_compatibility demo. With high probability it will work with MBF.

It does work using MBF, heh.

I should know better than to trust a player's text file (as if checking the demo header wasn't a critical troubleshooting step).

Odd, though, isn't that level 13? How did you manage that, cack_handed?

myk said:

I should know better than to trust a player's text file (as if checking the demo header wasn't a critical troubleshooting step).

Odd, though, isn't that level 13? How did you manage that, cack_handed?

I use a simple batch file to record using the exact line:

prboom -file wads\cchest3.wad -warp %1 -skill %2 -maxdemo 1024 -record c3%1-%2 -complevel 9 -%3
I checked and prboom 2.2.6 always puts 'MBF' in the LMP header. The same line with prboom-plus 2.4.3.1 has 'Boom' in the header, so it seems I just need to upgrade. I'll do the demo again if no-one else beats it.

cack_handed said:

I use a simple batch file to record using the exact line:
prboom -file wads\cchest3.wad -warp %1 -skill %2 -maxdemo 1024 -record c3%1-%2 -complevel 9 -%3

1. For prboom 2.2.6 you should use -complevel 5 for Boom 2.02
2. "-maxdemo" is obsolete and has no effect

cack_handed said:

The same line with prboom-plus 2.4.3.1 has 'Boom' in the header

2.4.3.1 is from 2006.07.25. Do not use it.

entryway said:
1. For prboom 2.2.6 you should use -complevel 5 for Boom 2.02

Ah, no wonder. That's the first thing I thought, but had looked at a PrBoom+ 2.2.6.x version and it used the newer arrangement, which confused me (made me think 2.2.6 already had it).

entryway said:

You must update to 2.5.0.1. Now!

yes sir.

Um, I'm changing my key setup a bit probably (still no mouse) and was screwing with strafe 50. Started with keys for it then just turned it 'always on' (+ turns) in prboom plus.. not sure why I never bothered with it before but it makes the game much easier and faster now. How many of you have been using that on recent past runs out of curiosity- sure seems like it just judging from player movement speed/maneuverability, though maybe my lack of mouse is what also made me slower (or I suck more)?

Strafe50 feels like the equivalent of switching from ultra violence to hurt me plenty. This is the first demo I made like that but I'm still rusty with need to memorize the setup. (8:49 on c317, still a bit slower than justanotherfool and tatsurd's (not yet posted I think) run of 17, but maybe with more memorization of this new setup I could do better.

c317849ggg.zip

gggmork said:
Started with keys for it then just turned it 'always on' (+ turns) in prboom plus.. not sure why I never bothered with it before but it makes the game much easier and faster now.

It's easier because you're using TAS features that are not available in Doom except in a more rudimentary fashion (automation only) through a driver hack that has been consistently banned in COMPET-N or deathmatch tourneys. See the COMPET-N FAQ under the question "What is strafe50? What is a strafe50 mousedriver? Are these allowed?" and this page.

It's rather unfortunate that these features are not marked specifically as TAS in PrBoom+, as it's not always easy to notice them without the author of the demo mentioning their use, and some players (including the guy recording) may not understand that it's a special enhancement over what Doom, Boom and PrBoom can do.

Well, good thing you mentioned it, at least.

Dang, all well. I vaguely remembered reading it was legal but now see that the automation of it is what's considered cheating. Even beating 9:00 on 17 without automated sr50 might be hard for me. I noticed I missed a chaingunner in the previous run but it was cheating w/ automated sr50 anyway.

Cool run gggmork! One thing though...What the hell is up with those stupid chaingunners? This is the second demo I have noticed that one of them gets stuck in the red key room..That never happend to me when I was playtesting the map during its construction. Hmmm If I had known that was going to happen, I would have put a block monster line in there.

In your tests I'd guess you killed everyone in that room before proceeding thus had no problem. A better solution imo would be to make the 2 columns 'ceiling lower to floor'. In that case if it closed on an enemy's head it would wait until the enemy passed before fully closing (if I remember correct). Note 'door close' would have a problem too (would probably re-open if it hit an enemy head and thus not close). (I usually dislike block monster lines because it makes a pointless safe force field for you).
But that run was considered cheating by compet-n rules (automated 'always on' strafe 50).

Great ... I have been looking forward when somebody will finally come with sub-8 demo. Anyway guys your combat on map17 is something that I have missed here for a really long time. Reminds me good old compet-n fights! (where I was always unable to contribute:)

Very nice, tatsurd. It didn't look like you did anything that radical in the wing with the RL, but by the time you had entered the yellow key door you were 20 or 30 secs ahead of me at the same stage in my last demo, and that widened to about 50 seconds later on!

Guess it goes to show just how much time more efficient rocketing can save. I might come back to this one, since I have some new ideas of my own, and soon I'll have a lot of time to record. I don't know if I'll be able to beat such a stellar time, though.

Aleaver said:

Cool run gggmork! One thing though...What the hell is up with those stupid chaingunners? This is the second demo I have noticed that one of them gets stuck in the red key room..

Have the same issue with map19, the shootable trap just before you enter the blue key area. A shotgun guy is supposed to be standing there taunting you to shoot him and open the traps, but sometimes he wanders into the door behind him. Heh, it was an odd trap layout anyway.

Again Great run tatsurd-cacocaco! I loled at the Death warrent imp that blew up a barrel that was right infront of it! :P

Again I am glad that this map turned out to be a great map to demo on. It always seemed like a fun map when I was building it. The funny thing is about that map is I had built it for another project (PIR 2) years ago when I was still green at mapping. Then I dropped out of the project. I had to redo a great deal of the map for use in CC3. Had a wolfenstine area with Wolf ss monsters in it. Plus it had been for map 07 in PIR 2. It used to have more prison like areas like the Yellow door area is now..But I took them out in favor of a speedier game play.

Yeah, excellent time tatsurd. Since that map became a pissing contest I tried more and eventually got mine down to 8:12 using more rockets throughout (but my new setup has easy access to gun keys instead of using number keys. I don't use 'sr50 always on' anymore of course).... I only use a single 'strafe on' key. Wondering if tatsurd/fool/cackhanded use 'strafe on' AND strafe left and right (ie sr50) occasionally or even frequently. I tried rearranging my keys to allow that but stupid ghost keys and rollover made them not work (too many simultaneous keys, see this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_(key) ). Steelseries 7g keyboard apparently has n-key rollover, but I havn't done much research yet (and its backspace sucks).
Anyway, if I can do it with more rockets in 8:12 probably tatsurd/fool/cackhanded etc can do it in 7:30 or so because they seem to move faster.

c317812ggg.zip

Good demo, gggmork. You aren't that far off tatsurd's time, and you eclipsed my best time. The movement in the latter half of the demo is particularly good, and not using rockets on the baron and archvile guarding the switch was a nice touch.

I don't use sr-50 unless I have a tricky jump that needs doing, since it's awkward with my setup and it interferes with your movement. Can give a useful boost if you're moving across a relatively open area though. A mouse allows you to get better angles for movement, which might increase your straferunning capabilities, I suppose.

7:30 seems like it might be out of reach, but a high 7:3x could be possible.

Yes, my record would be improvable enough yet. I said that "Target of time should be below 8 min. It's not too difficult.", and it's true.
Around 7:30 might be a limit on non-TAS run. (As far as using this route at least.)

I got 8:05 I think but probably not worth posting. But the only route tweaks I found were:
1) after you get RL and go in the door, just immediately run past the demons (hopefully they won't block you) and fire the rl at the vile (more risky because the demons will block retreat). Then later you can shoot a couple rockets up the stairs- meh it was like 5 seconds faster for me, plus that upper barrel sometimes kills a couple.
2) for all those enemies on ledges in the ssg room, first pass take the outer rim to cause infighting. 2nd pass rocket the cacos from below and chaingun the rest (never go up onto that ledge, just use the warp after the key instead).
3) at the end with the barons/reverents behind the door, occasionally turn around and open/close the door a crack to get some of them to infight (saves rockets- not really sure if its faster)
4) in the rocket launcher room its probably best to try and cause infighting with the manc/hellknights as well as the hellknights/reverents, possibly by moving back and forth while fighting a lot. kinda obvious, saves time and rockets

I finally managed to motivate myself to do some recording (partly due to seeing the compet-n efforts of xit-vono and tatsurd) and have two demos for cc3 map 09, "As The Doctor Sleeps".

There's a maxdemo (7:49) and a speedrun (4:05) attached. More to come soon, hopefully.

c309.zip

Decided to max map 25 too, resulting in a time of 13:28, which is 11 seconds faster than Anima's demo. I handled the end quite badly, so there's still some room for improvement here.

Had to pause the demo briefly at one point, but I hope that won't be a problem since the duration of the pause is short.

c325-1328.zip

Yes, your new strategy always surprise me. You was able to cut a lot of seconds in the ssg room.

Btw, I got a 7:43 demo in which I miss one monster before coming back to Compet-N. I think below 7:30 is more possible by your strategy, but I might have no time to record demos until the middle of March.

Did a speedrun of map 06, "Foregone Destruction", my favourite of Tormentor's maps.

For a moment at the end there I thought I was going to have to start over, but I must have made it to the exit just in time.

EDIT: Unfortunately, something seems to be wrong with the demo. I'll see if I can produce one that actually works... :)