Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_bruce_

Doom via Quake2 engine?

ZardoZ said:

Quake 2 (and 3) are today open source, so you can change or modify Quake 2 AI yo make more dumb, like Doom AI... Even, perhaps you can use a varint of Quake 2 engine ... nexuiz

Slowly moving backwards instead of forward, I see.

Not really. Since Q3 was release,s some pieces of his coed, was reused in Q2 sp and variant Engines ... If you see Nexuiz, ever you can think that is a SP of Q3 (but not!!) It have a really good FX and graphs (but a very bad physic engine), and overpass Q3 Arena which HDR and lots of FXs.

The only SP of Q3 is ioquake 3 and not introduced new effects, only try to improve the code and speed of the game.

If Doom must move out of his natural engine, are three natural ways:

-Over a Quake 2 SP : There a lot of they, and a lot fo they have a imrpesive FX and capacitys ... even some of hey can handle MD3 models, HDR, complex shaders, etc... Lot of documentation
-Over Quake 3 : there need a lot of "work", to create monsters AI, and other things, but it's a more modern engine
-Over Unreal 1 or 2 engine : Not is open source, but via his UScript can be made nearly ALL... There a lot of games made which it (even the outstanding Mass Effect use it!). It can handle vertex morphing and skeletal animation models, and his approximation of how make levels, if a light more similar to the old way of DooM (subtractive Booleans). Plus, the Unrel Engine 2.0 and 2.5 can use Staticmeshes, which the incredible power that give to create anything, and the other good thing is that have a nice monsters AI, but that can be adjusted to be very dumb to a very hard AI (and the monsters can attack other monsters!) The main problem of working which Unreal Engine, is that perhpas Id guys not like the idea...

Fixing me :

There other Q3 SP, like Xreal :
"XreaL is a non-commercial multiplayer only game using an advanced Quake III engine under the same name. It utilizes per-pixel lighting, uniform shadowing and lighting, deferred shading, and variance shadow mapping."

Other nice Q2 SP/variant :
-QFusion :
"The goal of the project is to create a playable Quake III Arena-like engine using sources of Quake2 as a codebase. Features include: - Q3A media formats support - skeletal animation - volumetric fog - bumpmapping - and other neat features"
-EGL :
* Quake 3 BSP
* Framerate decoupling (You can play which framerates over 30 fps wichout desync NET games)
* Gloom FX
* New Particle render system
* Decal LOD
* Controllable particle smoke linger, blood gore, and overall effect quality
* Optional Particle Lighting
* Quake3-compatible shader language
* Can use cubemaps (reflexion over textures)
* Quake3 BSP lightmap packing
* # PKZ -- Zip file package format
# PNG (can also optionally save to as screenshot)
# TGA (can also optionally save to as screenshot)
# JPG (can also optionally save to as screenshot)
# MD3 -- Quake3 Model Format
# Quake3 BSP
An they are working to handle and use MD5 models !!

Today are plenty of options of try to move Doom to other more powerful engine.... Today we are reaching the limits of Doom engine. A this point it's becoming more easy try to move to other engine that trying to add more things to the old engine (like a more realistic collision system, or a more advanced animation system, or skeletal animations). Doom not is defined by his engine, if not is defined by the game it-self, the gameplay!

ZardoZ said:

-Over Quake 3 : there need a lot of "work", to create monsters AI, and other things, but it's a more modern engine

id Tech 3 is more flexible than you might think... a more traditional single player mode I hear isn't too hard (see http://rfactory.org/singlegame.html); commercial games using a licensed engine of Quake 3 very often added their own traditional single-player modes (Star Trek Voyager Elite Force, Medal of Honor, etc)

Wobbo said:

http://www.atomicgamer.com/directory.php?id=2346

Already done. The link is to a total conversion of Doom2 into Quake 2 (with Quake 2 monsters and weapons) done by a guy at id software.

Shocking that a thread like this can go on for 2 pages without someone brining this up!

Great - I'll check it out.
Now I can get back to finishing my map for Blood *he, he*

Ok, played it for a while - yuck.
Feels totally off - if the map is finished it will only be a detailed walkthrough to waste a max. of 30secs on it. This was a wakeup-call *he, he*
*continues to work on map for Blood*

Holy Shit!! It's good made for his time. I played wich EGL sp, and looks much better. Now think how could look if you add hig-res textures, MD3 models, Doom weapons and items , etc...

Of all the games that this happened to it had to be Quake II didn't it. One of only about 3 games that I haven't taken enough care of for it to not install properly anymore :O(

Running over EGL :

I'm trying to see how convert it to Q3bsp, And I managed to get the E1M1 map from it and run it on Nexuiz (but without textures, etc...) in Q3BSP

Back when Doomworld had a "Pic of the day" (though they could last for months at a time) there was a rash of Map01 re-makes in various modern games (at the time) like UT, Half Life, whatever Quakes where out and i think SoF too

Nexuiz is a highly modification of Dark Places, that are a highly modificated version of
Quake Engine. An on his web page,s they talk of "nexuiz engine" or "Dark places engine"