Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skillsaw

Aeternum.wad

Hi everyone, first Doomworld post for me!

I used to make levels about 10 years ago. A buddy of mine started playing Doom and got me hooked on it again. So over the last couple of months I've been working on a level set. I added it to idgames just a couple of days ago, and if anyone would like to try it out, please do! I need some advice as I intend to make some more levels =) There are three levels, one small, one medium, and one large.

It's designed for Zdoom. But the only Zdoom features I used are Mapinfo, .mod music, and a small decorate lump that adds a new scenery item; so it still feels a lot like a doom2.exe map set.

EDIT - Just use Zdoom please!

Here is the download link:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15161

And here are some screenshots:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z148/pgdebruyne/DOOM0009.png
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z148/pgdebruyne/DOOM0007.png
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z148/pgdebruyne/DOOM0022.png

skillsaw said:

you can play it on any limit removing port

If you're serious about this, then you need to change the hanging decorations so that they don't block player movement.

Grazza said:

If you're serious about this, then you need to change the hanging decorations so that they don't block player movement.

Hrm, I just double checked and I did use the "Non-blocking" versions of the decorations. That can't be a Zdoom specific feature, can it? I was using the standard Doom2 configuration of Doom Builder... I guess I screwed up!

Anyway, I guess don't use anything other than a Zdoom based port. My mistake.

It's probably a mistake in the config, try changing it to the blocking version as stated in Doom Builder and see if it still happens.

Psycho Siggi said:

It's probably a mistake in the config, try changing it to the blocking version as stated in Doom Builder and see if it still happens.

Hrm, that didn't work... I think I have an idea though what the cause is. In the list of decorations, some of them have two versions - one with (blocking) after them and one without the word "blocking". I just assumed that anything without the word (blocking) let you walk right by it. There are some decorations with only one version that does block, but aren't listed as blocking (Because there isn't a non-blocking version with the same name). I just assumed that anything that didn't say "blocking" allowed you to go right through.

skillsaw said:
I just assumed that anything without the word (blocking) let you walk right by it. There are some decorations with only one version that does block, but aren't listed as blocking (Because there isn't a non-blocking version with the same name). I just assumed that anything that didn't say "blocking" allowed you to go right through.

Yeah, I'm guessing CodeImp just noted it for descriptive purposes to tell each of the repeated ones apart. Given the differences in modern engines, Doom builder's Doom, Doom2, UltDoom and Boom configs would be better off saying "nonblocking" for the ones that don't block, instead, to avoid confusion.

I've only played the first map and a little of the third, but these are fantastic. The gameplay is great and the music made it even more fun. You did a nice job on the visuals too. I am inspired. :)

RTC_Marine said:
I noticed in your wad you have a FF_START marker but no FF_END, only a F_END ?

That's cool, it should allow it to run using Doom+, if there aren't any other impediments.

It's the way to allow flats to load with the standard engine and should be used when plain wads are made (unless they are so huge that they need super-extended limits).

Tango said:

I've only played the first map and a little of the third, but these are fantastic. The gameplay is great and the music made it even more fun. You did a nice job on the visuals too. I am inspired. :)

Thanks, I'm glad you had fun. Btw, the music is from the original Unreal Tournament (I found on a .mod music website).

This is the most fun I've had since hell revealed (and I've only finished the 1st, and am halfway through the other 2). I like the 'constant threat' feel, difficulty and gameplay.

-----
edit: here's a kinda minor bug in the 2nd level (zdoom 2.1.7 demo, short as I just idclip to it):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9zfcdo
(sometimes you can get stuck in the wall there forcing you to use idclip.. maybe there's a vertex sticking out or something)
This level is fantastic.

gggmork said:

edit: here's a kinda minor bug in the 2nd level (zdoom 2.1.7 demo, short as I just idclip to it):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9zfcdo
(sometimes you can get stuck in the wall there forcing you to use idclip.. maybe there's a vertex sticking out or something)
This level is fantastic.

Hrm. There is a vertex 4 units away on the other side of the wall. I wonder if that's what you got caught on. I usually try not to make the walls so narrow but I was running out of room.

Thanks for pointing that out, and have fun.

EDIT: Actually, now that I look at it, there is a torch up against that wall really close to the lift. I'll bet that's what is clipping the player.

gggmork said:
edit: here's a kinda minor bug in the 2nd level (zdoom 2.1.7 demo, short as I just idclip to it)

That's because ZDoom is 2.5D but things move over each other, so sometimes they get stuck at lifts and such. It's a problem inherited from the Raven games. If the torch is moved it could still happen with monsters or with other Players.