Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GzStarWars

WiiMote and DOOM

...How the fuck would that be possible?

If it actually is possible, I really would love to know...

Okay, So I've seen it's possible.

Do you have to buy an adapter for the PC, And if so, where do you obtain this from?

You need a Bluetooth dongle. Probably available at any electronics and/or office supply retailer.

I've not done it yet myself, but from what I understand you pick up a Bluetooth adaptor and install special drivers so that it can pick up on the WiiMote or something. You also pick up a sensor bar and somehow hook that up to your PC via USB or something, install the drivers and scripts that pertain to what ever game you want to play and that's that I guess, you just configure your game with the WiiMote as it now is assigned to Mouse and Keyboard actions.

Something to that effect. The HowTo has to be on one of those links I've posted, but I have not gone through all the details because I don't yet own the required hardware.

The Wiimote wouldn't really work for Doom because your aim is fixed to the center of the screen. If Wiimote-look were like joystick-look, you'd move it to start turning and move it again to stop. If it tried to be like mouselook, the degrees you could turn in one stroke would be far less than with a mouse. And either way, the Wiimote would very seldom be pointing in the same direction as your in-game weapon.

Try it with System Shock 1, Realms of the Haunting, or Operation Flashpoint instead.

I think Iori is referring to vanilla DOOM. The wiimote should work just fine with a modern port with the requiste controller config options.

Well that's what I was going for in the first place (glance up at the beginning of the topic). :)

Though I did find a youtube video which I have linked here showing someone playing classic doom with it as well.

I've used a wii-mote with Legacy and Doom 3. The controls are, at least for me, difficult. Using the nunchuck for movement/weapon switching was fine though.

I used a general FPS script (which utilizes the IR Pointer) that featured a bounding box - if you point to the edge, it continually turns you until you center the controller.

The scripts really do need to be fine tuned to each game to produce the best result. In Doom 3, if I needed to aim at something quickly, I'd more often than not end up spinning 180 degrees or hit the bounding box and spin like a spastic. Slowing it down tended to get me killed. It was novel for a while, but soon tired of it.

One of these days, I'll try it with some racing games using the gyro's to control the steering.

Imp said:
Why the hell would anyone want to play Doom on a WiiMote?

Because they can?

GzStarWars said:

...and because I can't afford a whole Wii. ;)

So... you're buying a Wiimote just so you can simulate awkward control on games that aren't designed for a Wiimote?

GzStarWars said:

Are the scripts very hard to write up?

I know enough to modify existing ones - not write them. Glovepie comes with 20 or so scripts - the IR pointer ones do the job fine.

Imp said:

Why the hell would anyone want to play Doom on a WiiMote?

No-one would, you can't play anything on a wiimote. The Wii on the other hand...[/pedantic]

I did it simply to see what it was like.

GzStarWars said:

...and because I can't afford a whole Wii. ;)

what

Heh, for the ironicality, i'm posting from my Wii... 'Cause my laptop's borked.

Also, i don't see FPS Games being good with the WiiMote, but that's down to opinion.

I think it more suited for Virtua Cop type arcade games. I want to get Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles for this reason.

Mmmm, so it sounds like I better keep saving my money then and abandon all hope of ever playing GzDOOM comfortably with the WiiMote.

Hopefully some day either Nintendo does it or the hacking community does it, but some day I hope that Homebrew becomes a posibility on the Wii, and I hope if that day comes that someone comes around willing to port one of the better DOOM source port offerings.

Regardless, Nintendo's commericial line up is worth getting excited about. And of course there is Far Cry and Resident Evil 4!

There is always this too:

http://patrickbaudisch.com/projects/soap/

I imagine that this may work out better than a WiiMote.

Besides I guess a group of Germans just bypassed the Wii's security so that Homebrew should now be possible on more than just the Gamecube side which means that hopefully someone will come along and port advanced DOOM sources over to the Wii, I.E. PrBOOM, GzDOOM, Eternity Engine, etc. since thus far DOOM on consoles and hand helds has been very old school and not much more.

That video gives new meaning to the phrase "Don't drop the soap."