Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sausage

Suggestion For Doom Builder Update.

After I have helped out in a couple of threads, I'd like to suggest something that's probably been sugsested a couple of billion times already, but I'm not sure.

Add a texture importer that adds a texture Lump to the wad you're editing, and adds the required data to the PNAMES lump and the TEXTURE1 Lump. this way, you could have many people on Just doom builder, rather than crossing over between Doombuilder and XWE/Wintex.

If you were to add this tool, I'd have it displayed at the top menu bar amongst the "File" "Edit" "Scripts" "Help" buttons etc, With a new option saying "Textures" and in the drop-down Saying "Add new Flat..." And "Add New Patch..."

If you could get this to work, you could probably be able to create a midi importer.

If you decide to take this idea up, Good luck With it Pascal!

Bloodshedder said:

Doom Builder is a map editor.

Heh, you think I didn't know that?
I'm only making a suggestion, so don't be some ass about it.

i doesn't doombuilder have an option to import a texture wad, or textures from a file?

Good idea, and BloodShedder, it's a mere idea, don't go cyberdemon on him.

I find this a good idea for I really don't want to do it with XWE, but who knows though, this feature might be on DB2.

Bad idea. Bloodshedders answer is the short one, here is the long version to make you understand.

A wad file contains many resources. Textures, sounds, music, maps, sprites, etc. There are programs specialized in managing wad files, such as XWE and Wintex. There are programs specialized in editing specific resources such as Photoshop for textures, Adobe Audition for sounds and Doom Builder for maps. You don't see Photoshop add maps to a wad file, do you?! It is not Photoshops task to bother with that. Do you see the logic now? That is why Doom Builder is not meant to import textures or other resources into your wad, thats what the wad managers are for.

CodeImp said:

That is why Doom Builder is not meant to import textures or other resources into your wad, thats what the wad managers are for.

Doom Builder can be a map editor and a wad manager.

They have to be opened alternatively and that takes time.

Just that CodeImp doesn't want to make DB also a wad manager doesn't mean it can't be. I hope he has serious reasons, such as lack of time, for keeping it a "map editor".

printz said:

They have to be opened alternatively and that takes time.

Just that CodeImp doesn't want to make DB also a wad manager doesn't mean it can't be. I hope he has serious reasons, such as lack of time, for keeping it a "map editor".

if this is something that you want to see done, perhaps you could get a copy of the DB source code and add such a feature

Sure. It was my first thought. But I wouldn't be too quick to release it, even if I could. I'd rather post some how-tos instead. I'm rather busy now so don't expect it.

Janitor said:

if this is something that you want to see done, perhaps you could get a copy of the DB source code and add such a feature

If I knew how, I would've done that a long time ago.

You can't have a wad manager because of the design. Only the map part of the wad is opened for writing, the rest is read only. The only way to add a manager without changing the entire design would need to close the map and open it for managing.

sausage said:

If I knew how, I would've done that a long time ago.

It's here http://www.doombuilder.com/files/builder_source.zip, though Doom BuilderX might be a better starting point.

I already knew about the source code, I mean, If i knew what to do to it i would have done it a long time ago. Besides, I'm too lazy. ^_^

But thanks anyways.

I'm make GZDoom Extensions editing for Doom Builder.
I heave little problem i create this in Russian language interface.
If you heave this extensions in English version need get this in sourcecodes and add on 1.68 vrsion DB. :(

Add:
The Possibility of creation, substitutions of its description.
The Calculation Tag in HiByte.
Highlight Sectors given by line 3Д Floor through Tag in HiByte.
The Calculation free Sector Tag and Line ID for lines.
The Calculation free Sector Tag for sectors, searching for following after found.
The Special pocket for quick conservation a Sector Tag-but in editing the sector and insertion from special pocket in calculator Tag in HiByte.
The Buttons of quick task before stated parameters for Lines.

http://bhammer.narod.ru/builder.htm

Sorry for my English. :(