Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Doom Turns 14!

It's that time again, my dear Doom fans - tic another mark for Doom! Doom is 14 years old today, and despite many sayers to the contrary, new Doom awesomeness is being pumped out even to this day. And in our long standing tradition, we're here today to present The 14th Annual Cacowards conducted by Action Doom creator and self-made hugonaut Stephen "Scuba Steve" Browning! Were you a nominee? Were you not? Can you handle the trivia? Find out and stick around the forums when you're done to discuss the awesome. Happy Birthday Doom!

Good work there, guys. Eternal was certainly a good choice as best mapper.

Hmm, the Mordeth Award could probably have gone to Wonderful Doom. Wraith said in the .txt that it took 3 years to build, whereas the KDiZD build time in its .txt is claimed to be "only" 2 years and 9 months. ;-)

Just read the cacowards. No 'Wonderful Doom' in the list, just as a runner up? ugh what happened for big awards for good levels, but it should at least get the Mordeth Award for taking longer than KDiZD.

deathz0r said:

Good job at not mentioning that I wrote half of the article Manc :(

I was actually a bit confused about who was writing this. Could somebody note who wrote the text for each award?

Was it Scuba or deathz0r that said they wouldn't be doing this again?

david_a said:
Could somebody note who wrote the text for each award?

To me it's more or less evident for the most part... at first I breezed through the intro thinking it was all done by Scuba, till I noticed that what some of the awards said was incompatible with anything he would say, so I went back and informed myself on who had contributed. But it would probably have been better to sign each review (like Ling and Mord did during 10 years).

I'd say that Wonderful Doom deserves a proper award, but as I haven't played half the maps on the list, I have no idea what it should replace. Other than that, its great, no complaints. Grats to all, and happy birthday Doom!

Has it been noticed by anyone so far in Doom's life that linetype 4: W1-OpenDoorWaitClose can be activated by monsters?

For me "wonderful doom" and "Demons of Problematique" are better then cchest3. Because cchest3 had some disappointing things in it like:
Dutch Devil and Pcorf made better wads this year then the ones in cchest3.
Cchest3 had some very good maps and one I would really call exceptional "Welcome to the machine". But compared to cchest2 it has less good maps. (but also less bad maps).
Compared to cchest2 it lacks depth. (variation, exploration of the doom language I mean :No "the mucus flow",no "no room" and no "thematic elements".