Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Doom Turns 14!

"Mapper of the year" is ambiguous at best. Even if there were voting, doesn't mean that the "winner" would "deserve" it.

BTW; I really hate the term "Mapper". In my mind it's an insult to call it mapping.

kristus said:

BTW; I really hate the term "Mapper". In my mind it's an insult to call it mapping.

What is it then?

Oh yeah, props to the Cacoward reviewers and winners.

kristus said:
"Mapper of the year" is ambiguous at best. Even if there were voting, doesn't mean that the "winner" would "deserve" it.

How is this different from any other award given here (or anywhere)? Besides, the guys who wrote the awards decide who deserves what. They may take some input, but it's their choice. Clearly if someone else would have written the stuff, the results would likely have varied (though as stated I quite possibly would have chosen the same mapper as deathz0r did).

The only way voting could help is by choosing candidates, though I prefer relatively unconditioned personal opinions myself.

But "mapper" is a reasonable term; what they make are technically called a "map". If anything, perhaps one could complain that the awards are too wad and then level oriented. Other design aspects and playing aren't being represented or focused on.

What about would-be game designers?

I understand from this

(Some antedating stuff)...Fans were free to distribute their mods of the game, as long as the updates were offered free of charge to other enthusiasts. The mod community took off...

that for id: "mappers are mod makers" (btw, 'further' in the text doom is called the "original masterpiece".)

The whole text counts 17 paragraphs telling id's History.
7 are directly related to doom, 1 mentions doom. Only one release date is given.(this day*) and all games who have an exclusive paragraph about them are still available for sale from id's website and id's history ends in 2004.
edit: * I was wrong they mention the release date of wolfenstein3D.

Then, on December 10, 1994, id unleashed DOOM on the world.

FAILURE

Coldfusio said:
that for id: "mappers are mod makers"

A mod maker makes modifications for or of games (it could be anything from a coder to a musician), a mapper makes levels specifically, and a designer works on general or specific aspects of the game, over the core engine level; creative director, level designer (aka mapper), graphic designer (or artist), or whatever. "Would be" seems like an excuse saying a moddable game is good for the industry, but obviously an amateur is not necessarily a wanna-be or a future professional.

edit:

The first public version of Doom was uploaded to Software Creations BBS and a FTP server at the University of Wisconsin-Madison on December 10, 1993.

I just noticed something amazing. The 2007 Cacowards haven't been tainted by those AtomicAssrammer bastards. I guess the page has been blessed against the vile influence of those Satan worshipping inbreeding cunts.

According to the Wiki, Doom shareware was released on December 10, 1993 (not 1994 as id's own website sadly claims). 1.1 was the first version distributed to registered users and came out on December 16...

Lizardcommando said:

I thought Dec. 10th 1994 was when they released the full version of Doom, not the shareware version.

Doom 2: 10 October 1994.
Ultimate Doom: 30 April 1995.
According to en.wikipedia.org however doom wiki mentions other dates.

Lizardcommando said:

I thought Dec. 10th 1994 was when they released the full version of Doom, not the shareware version.

To be clear about Doom 1's release year (1993/1994), check part *1-1* of the '"Official" DOOM FAQ' 6.666 (latest version, go here should you not have it). There it says "one year ago" and "Today, December 10th, 1994".

IMO next year it would be great if there were more runners up for multiplayer wads. And I'm not just saying that because I believe 32in24 projects should have taken the top 5! But really, there's a lot of quality stuff out there, I'd love to see more highlighted.

Hello fellow Doomers, it is I, Scuba Steve, back from my vacation in California.

Anyways, glad to see everything was up and seemed to be a success. I'd really like to thank deathz0r for helping me out this year since I had to leave early for my vacation. It was a huge benefit having him suggest entries and write reviews... I would have missed some wads and may not have gotten all the reviews written if it were not for his help, thanks Dean.

There was a lot of discussion and collaboration between us for several awards. We talked through 'Mapper of the Year' a lot as well as a few projects. Like Deathz0r said, I suggested Tormentor and he was adamant that Eternal was really impressive. It is worth noting that Tormentor did a terrific job this year with a ton of great releases... but Eternal was a good choice as well. It was a bit of a compromise, deathz0r didn't think UTnT should be on the list and I did... so we came to an agreement.

Deathz0r was also the one who convinced me to not add Wonderful Doom as well as Demons of Problematique. I'll stand by those decisions, as well as all the other choices. Hopefully everyone had a fun time this year and that 2008 brings us even more great projects for this old game.

In all fairness, Odamex CTF could have been released in a week or two (I generally take a day or two to make 95% of a map), but it was finished long before Odamex was made public (first screenshots were on the ZDaemon/Skulltag forums back in 2006 or so), and I used the time in between to make small improvements to the maps.

Still, I totally agree with your decision about the wad of the year. 32 in 24 is an amazing project.

Haha, oh man, I got about half of those memes, and I've posted probably less than 10 times in the three or four years I've been lurking here. Oh lawd ;_;

Happy birthday DOOM, better to say it later, than never.

Nice Cacowards, yet I don't see why so much anger towards the Gamarra wads, I had some laughs with the one I tried, and it entertained me more than big releases as CC3 or UTNT.
If you don't like Guilo's maps then just don't play them, I don't see a reason why he should have to stop mapping.

Vegeta said:

Gamarra wads, I had some laughs with the one I tried, and it entertained me more than big releases as CC3 or UTNT.

Wow...just wow. I'll chalk this one up to simple minds and simple pleasures I guess.

Use3D said:

Wow...just wow.

This is like a new fad here or something isen't here? I must of seen people saying "wow...just wow" maybe a dozen times in the last week.

Vegeta I guess its just personal preferences. Though, projects like CC3 will probably give you more long-term joy than just "some laughs" from a Gamarra wad.

That's why I said ALL of them. One Gamarra map doesn't warrant "worst" of anything. Hell even 2 or 3 would just be bad... not noteworthy. But an entire series of low quality, immature toilet humor maps is more than I want.

BoldEnglishman said:

Vegeta I guess its just personal preferences. Though, projects like CC3 will probably give you more long-term joy than just "some laughs" from a Gamarra wad.

Well I agree on that I just couldn't enjoy CC3 or UTNT, not my kind of wad, yet I'm still in love with KDIZD.

Terra-jin said:

Doom turns 14 and is probably older than at least some Doom fans...

I doubt that. Call me crazy, but something tells me most of the gamers out there who are under the age of 14 are more into Runescape. Counter Strike, and Halo then Doom.

No, there's definitely a good bunch of 12/13 year olds. Perhaps not on Doomworld, but they exist.