Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Alien Vendetta secret in the bookcase

I'm on map09 of Alien Vendetta. It's the map with the green brick bridge in the beginning with two pools of slime on either side. On this level there is a secret inside some book cases. except it's a peculiar secret. There is a hidden switch. I hit the hidden switch, go through the teleport, go down the lift but I can't find what that secret switch is lowering. for the life of me I cannot. i don't want anyone to give it away, but maybe the teeniest hint. Just a small hint. Nothing big. SMALL. I really want to find this on my own, but it's been a couple days now of me trying to find what this secret switch does.

Now, there is another secret in this area--behind the teleport the bookcase comes down. inside that room a little pillar lowers to the ground--light is pulsing on the pillar--not sure if this is some kind of hint of its significance. There is another bookcase in this little room, but I can't open it. The secret switch does not lower the bookcase! So I am trying to figure out how to lower the damn book case and figure out what the damn secret switch does!! Please don't give it away. Just a SMALL hint!! Thanks!

Happy birthday Doom. This was how old I was when I started playing doom. I have been playing doom for as many years as doom is today, and I am twice as old as doom! Interesting.

EDIT: Although I have an idea. I have found 5 of 7 secrets. I am thinking maybe the 6th secret opens the bookcase inside the little room--and inside that room the secret switch lowers something--so perhaps I will have to find that 6th secret to get to the 7th secret.

Dr. Zin said:

Just look in a damn map editor.

:P

That would give it away. I want a clever hint--that is subtle--a small hint--I don't want to give it away. I want someone to reply with:

"hahahaha, I remember finding that secret you're struggling with. It actually was pretty easy" or.. "it was really tough--you're way off" or "you're close--I'm not gonna say anything" or "umm... I couldn't figure that out either--I went in the map editor and found out there was a bug" etc...

So--surely someone remembers this secret?

Or maybe someone else can look in the editor for me and at least confirm to me there isn't a bug.

gemini09 said:

I think you're way off.

Look by the window down the hall, or up on the hills or something..

I found the secret in the "hills" - there's blue armor at the beginning of the level I got--and there's soulsphere that I got. I actually haven't picked up those items yet--saving them for before I exit so I'll have 200/200 for next level. I don't think there are any windows nearby the bookcase. And that secret switch has got to do something! Thanks for replying.

Naan said:

I though all AV levels were designed with pistol start in mind...

does that mean I should kill myself at the beginning of each level instead of stocking up on the last like I normally do when I play doom? :-/

Only if you want to give yourself a handicap. If you feel like playing it through normally, do just that. Personally, if I want a handicap, I'd probably just notch it up a difficulty or replace the monsters using Decorate with more powerful ones but anyhoo.

Hellbent said:
does that mean I should kill myself at the beginning of each level instead of stocking up on the last like I normally do when I play doom?

Nah, it's not like it's necessarily either one way or the other, and some thought was put to the overall progression between the levels in AV (and movies for COMPET-N were never out of the question). If you abuse savegames ammo or health may get excessive, though. Some wads, such as the old Castle Phobos, do demand that you play the levels progressively the whole way, as weapons and ammo that may be necessary are not provided in later levels, and others, especially some compilations without any centralized guidance in the design, may have no thought regarding overall progression.

I would say that the best way to play AV from head to tail is to start from scratch any levels where you die, moving on from there.

Hmmm, you mean you hit the switch on the outside of one of the bookcases, run down the hall, use the teleporter and get the goodies there (blurspere and such)? And now you're saying that in the same room with the bookcases, there is another switch? I this case i'd say it's a bug.

Cybermaarten said:

Hmmm, you mean you hit the switch on the outside of one of the bookcases, run down the hall, use the teleporter and get the goodies there (blurspere and such)? And now you're saying that in the same room with the bookcases, there is another switch? I this case i'd say it's a bug.

No way it's a bug!! (sorry I forgot about this thread --my ADD does that.)

There is a little floor that lowers inside the bricks in that blur sphere room. (don't remember what I did to lower it--it just lowered at one point to my surprise.) Inside the little hole that is there from the floor lowering in the center of the bricks is a switch you can barely see. I'm trying to figure out what the switch does. But I think I'm going to look in the editor. Would be a shame to, tho. Come so far only to fail it now.

Anyeone? Anyone? Million dollar question here. Anyone?/end borning voice guy from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Cybermaarten said:

Well I'll be a llama's uncle. It's a frickin bug! Did they tag the wrong sector? Unfrickin conscionable. The switch lowers the sector right in front of it to the floor, that is all it does. So it effectively does absolutely nothing meaningful. A decoy? Intentional?

if you go across the zigzag maze and into the hallway, if you look to the left, theres a brown wall that's actually a door, revealing a box of shotgun shells and megaarmor!

Thanks for the news.

JohnnyRancid said:

if you go across the zigzag maze and into the hallway, if you look to the left, theres a brown wall that's actually a door, revealing a box of shotgun shells and megaarmor!

Thanks for the news.

Zigzag maze? there isn't really what I would call zig zag or mazes on this level. :-/

I found out what the switch is for. It's for DM. For some reason they designed it for that secret switch to only be possible to use in DM, but I was able to "use through" the floor that a DM start linedef lowers to have access to the switch. So not really a bug, but rather I wasn't supposed to be able to activate this switch in single player mode.

Apparently the makers of AV didn't have an editor that allows for multiplayer tags on items as there are all these walls that can only be lowered by DM starts taht reveal weapons for use only in DM.

You sure you are talking about map09 of Alien Vendetta Johnny Rancid? Are you one of the makers of it?