Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

Looking for a good Heretic megawad

I'm looking for a nice Heretic megawad (one that replace at least the three original episodes, but better if more). Both with new graphics and stuff, and levels only. Any suggestion?

Hordes of Chaos X (5 episodes of 5 levels)
Carnage Galore I (one 9 level ep, the least good of the list IMO)
Carnage Galore II (same)
GULAG (5 levels, the best Heretic wad I've played so far, and it's a 1997 wad ! Almost up to today's standard detailing level)
Master's Domain (one 9 level ep)

All of them avaiable in the idgames archives.

There are a few good 5 star material wads but they are single levels.

Unfortunately there are not much good Heretic levels, and there aren't any staples like Doom have in the names of Hell Revealed or Alien Vendetta.

I wanted to be the first guy to make a Heretic staple. It was gonna use Hexen, Hexen 2, and Gothic DM textures. And some Decorate monsters too. My E1M1 was awesome and I had a pretty good music collection for it, but I got sick of mapping for it. Heretic is just too limited for me to work on. These days you can use any theme to be a map for Doom. Heretic can't do that. Castles and caves and that's all it can support.

Actually heretic has a lot of potential if better hell revealed style monster layout is used. I loved the first 'episode' and I like the multiple 'bosses', but.. well they introduced those brown slasher guys in later levels as if they're the next level of difficulty. But they're easy and really just the equivalent of pinky demons, so their abundance kinda ruined it.. plus they leave ammo for one of the best guns making their design even worse.

edit: cool, hordes of chaos does seem fairly hell revealedish. First time I played it. I forgot how stupid that wtf chaingun mace is. Some levels like that first ice one had lines enemies couldn't cross allowing you to tediously pick them off from safety though.

I started a episode for heretic a while back, just a remake of ep1 using gzdoom got to e1m6/7 then ran out of steam, maybe i get back on it one day.

Thanks a lot, that was very helpful. Nice selections. I just wish hoc-x was smarter, and had new bosses rather than D'Sparil all the time. For some reason I think Heretic/Hexen mods demand must be more serious, no matter they have more fantasy elements.

Nice selections.

JohnnyRancid said:

Heretic is just too limited for me to work on. These days you can use any theme to be a map for Doom. Heretic can't do that. Castles and caves and that's all it can support.

You know, that's not the problem. The problem is that Heretic's tile set only really support two colors: Shades of grey and shades of brown. There is some flexibility as long as you're willing to (basically) stay with those two shades. In my recently uploaded Heretic megawad, in e1m2 I used grey and brown to give the level a kind of disco-modern look (since brown was very fashionable in the 1970s); in e1m8 I use mainly browns to give the level a very Egyptian flavor. In e1m4, I use brown and grey to give the converted FreeDoom a somewhat, but not entirely, castle feel. This is all using nothing but default Heretic textures; no custom textures.

There is very limited green--a very ugly green rock, which I haven't figured out how to tastefully put in a level. There is also some limited red and blue, but it's quite garish in both cases. I only use blue to represent water.

- Sam

Vegeta said:
I just wish hoc-x was smarter, and had new bosses rather than D'Sparil all the time.[/B]

Come on, you have to love the giant oversized D'Sparils. :(

Naan said:

Hordes of Chaos X (5 episodes of 5 levels)
Carnage Galore I (one 9 level ep, the least good of the list IMO)
Carnage Galore II (same)
GULAG (5 levels, the best Heretic wad I've played so far, and it's a 1997 wad ! Almost up to today's standard detailing level)
Master's Domain (one 9 level ep)

All of them avaiable in the idgames archives.

There are a few good 5 star material wads but they are single levels.

Unfortunately there are not much good Heretic levels, and there aren't any staples like Doom have in the names of Hell Revealed or Alien Vendetta.

you say you know of a few good single heretic wads? would you be able to list them for those who care?