Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

Are there ANY good free hosts left?

Today I logged into my freeservers account, only to be informed that they're introducing a 256k limit on file size. 256k!!! What the f**k?

Anyway, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that I'll be changing hosts now. Any recommendations? I would apply for DW or somewhere like that, except I've got non-Doom related stuff on the site.

Well, break your images into small pieces and put them in a table ;)

Seriously, the only good free host I knew of was F2S and apparently they've made a wise move and closed down registration due to their servers getting full.

Well, break your images into small pieces and put them in a table ;)

hehehe, which means more server accesses and slower loading of pages.

But I guess this limit is rather for zip files and all...

Maybe it is time to realize internet will no longer be free. That was the golden age, but it is obviously not a reliable economical scheme. Banners don't pay enough: guess who will.

Banners don't pay enough: guess who will.

Unfortunately this is all too true. However I've wanted to get my own server up forever, maybe this will be the motivation I need. Then I can give other friends free/unlimited file-size hosting, so it could end up being quite a good thing afterall.

... Then I can give other friends free/unlimited file-size hosting ...

Which means you'll pay to a provider instead of a simple hoster. I know it's more cool in the US, but in France, we pay for uploads and bandwith usage... scary indeed. I wish I could have arioch's cable provider ;)

Unfortunately this is all too true. However I've wanted to get my own server up forever, maybe this will be the motivation I need. Then I can give other friends free/unlimited file-size hosting, so it could end up being quite a good thing afterall.

Can I get in on some of that? My Doom site for HTML class is done, and I wouldn't mind putting it on the net.

Seriously, the only good free host I knew of was F2S and apparently they've made a wise move and closed down registration due to their servers getting full.

Not only that. I just got a mail from them. They're fucking closing the free webspace experiment. Every user that doesn't pay $60 for their crappy 20 megs will get his site removed on Feb 28...

... Then I can give other friends free/unlimited file-size hosting ...

Which means you'll pay to a provider instead of a simple hoster.

Right, that's what I had in mind.

I know it's more cool in the US, but in France, we pay for uploads and bandwith usage... scary indeed.

Yeah you mentioned that before... that's crazy alright, although it does actually make sense (to a certain extent, since I'm not sure what the rates would be).

Can I get in on some of that? My Doom site for HTML class is done, and I wouldn't mind putting it on the net.

Heh, well, look at Millennium and tell me how soon you think I'll have the server up and running ;)

Not only that. I just got a mail from them. They're fucking closing the free webspace experiment. Every user that doesn't pay $60 for their crappy 20 megs will get his site removed on Feb 28...

No shit?!? I never got that mail. OH THAT'S PROBABLY CAUSE @HOME LOST MY LAST 3 WEEKS WORTH OF EMAIL, NEVERMIND. Well that's a load of crap alright. Man if they close down my page I'll be pissed, I have like 10 almost-complete updates to post. (The same 10 updates I've had almost-complete for the last few months now :P )

YES! I've been working on my personal homepage lately and I found an excellent host in 9cy. It's 100 megs free with no bandwith/hits limit and no filesize limit that I know of.

shurely too good to be true, Ed?
Nah, that looked good Liam, until I closed the window THEN got a pop-up...
/me sighs.

shurely too good to be true, Ed?
Nah, that looked good Liam, until I closed the window THEN got a pop-up...
/me sighs.

Pop-Up Stopper. No more pop-up windows for IE users. (Just script errors. But for every script error you get, that's another pop-up you've defeated, so it's worth it.)

only worthwhile bannerless host I ever came across other than f2s is brinkster, I have no clue what file extentions and file size limit there is a limit on though. I know they give 30 mb free.

Another problem is that you can't access any files unless you link to them from the site, so if I linked to a pic on the site from here you all wouldn't be able to view it. Actually that could be a good thing if you want to keep things private, but mostly it's a pain in the ass for me.

Actually that could be a good thing if you want to keep things private.

No, there's this thing, remember? Privacy doesn't exist on the internet anymore.

Two pop-ups and a script error after clicking.

/me uses popup-stopper

Actually that could be a good thing if you want to keep things private.

No, there's this thing, remember? Privacy doesn't exist on the internet anymore.

and we thought the doomworld admnis had bitten off more than they could chew.... :)

those people can't have a life, they just can't, imagine the time it takes to research all that old stuff...

those people can't have a life, they just can't, imagine the time it takes to research all that old stuff...

It's automated, Einstein.

Anytime there's an update anywhere on the Web, it's thrown into the database. I've found some old "private" things on there as well, so remember, there's no such thing as "temporary" storage when it comes to your websites.